March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. nurserachet

Ms. Amanpour, your reports have been the only ones I have believed in the past few years when "news" "journalists" seem to have become just another source for each of the politcal parties. Either that or "entertainers", not journalists.
    I do so hope you will not allow the stain of the networks predjudices and awkward slants of the actual facts to color your admirable professionalism.
    Good luc,k and I hope your can bring some respect back to network news.

March 19, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. PAJIBO

She is such a fine reporter. How will I ever be able to view her program on ABC. I live in Liberia and do not have access to ABC via tube, perhaps only by way of the internet.

Thank you so much for your time on the air at my beloved CNN.

At least I will stay see Larry, Richard, Beckie and all the others.

March 19, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Uncle Joe

The only reason that I watch ABC News is because of the reporters, and not Diane Sawyer. So I welcome Christane Amanpour. I hope she eventually gets to sit in the main anchor chair. Anyone would be better than Sawyer.

March 19, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel Wright

This is a big loss for CNN. I wish her the very best!

March 19, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin in Ohio

She will be right at home with this left-wing network. Isn't ABC the network that paid for the defense of the child murdereress in Florida? Too bad for her that very few people even will listen to the so-called "mainstream" networks anymore. Hopefully, she will just disappear.

March 19, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy Mullin

Oh no! I am sooooooo disappointed to hear this! I love Christiane Amanpour. Congrats to her, but way sorry for CNN – you are losing one of your best journalists! It'll never be the same without her specials, which I watch whether I've seen them before or not, and her insight and breathtaking journalism. Man, this is really, really disappoining news if you ask me. CNN you are crazy to let her go!

March 19, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Clark

Always thought she is more a celebrity than journalist and is condescending to her audience. Her ignorance of the USA will become clear in her new job.

March 19, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tim

Christiane Amanpour may be the one journalist with the highest degree of integrity to be found in journalism today; no matter your political affiliation. Her reporting from around the world, where conflicts and wars have raged, demonstrates amazing strength, commitment and heroism. No matter where she lands, I will be viewing to gain the deeper insights found in her reporting.

March 19, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. NoireLion

I will watch "this week" – now that it has a real newsperson running it.
    I stopped watching it when they put that cute kid stephenopolis in. And the other sunday show- with david "the fop" gregory- just doesn't seem to be real serious.
    I know for a fact that "This Week" is going to have more credibility now that Amanpour is the chief- thank god ABC grew a pair and got a serious news anchor to come in! You know damned well she will ask the questions the smart viewers would ask- the politicians and royals we got on tv! So ABC – wow- good choice and i will support Amanpour only journalist close to her nowadays in seriousness and gravitas is Gwen Ifell over on PBS.
    Can't wait to see the show. Finally some real news.

March 19, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sal Garofalo

Amanpour is a gem !!! I have often considered her in the Cronkite, Murrow, Jennings categories. Her compassion, professional tone, ettiquite, knowledge, and genuine passion for the truth in "true' journalism (meaning not what Beyonce or Britney are up to) has always impressed me! I look for her candid and non-biased reporting, no matter what, when , and where. I guess my CNN viewing will diminish, and ABC viewing will increase !
    All the best to you Ms. Amanpour – – -you are the best and deserve the best !!!

March 19, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

As an American ex-pat living in the Middle East, I am sorry I won't be able to see her reporting again. Great job, Ms Amanpour. And as for the CNN leadership.....your programs are sinking into tabloid journalism and nearly unwatchable. No wonder you're sinking in the ratings.

March 19, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Harry Chickpea

All the best to her. What a standard of excellence. The responses here show that there really is an educated and aware population in the U.S. and that the spew of the less educated die-hard haters of anyone to the left of Rush has limits. I haven't read anything from the public as uplifting as the kudos here in a LONG time. Time for CNN to do a poll on how people view the veracity of Amanpour. I'll bet she gets one of the most positive poll results yet.

March 19, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. AMAZONIA

CNN gives to Christiane Amanpour an international audience. She is leaving the most prestigious network for personal reasons – personal goals (Political ones ??). She signed with the ABC News that has audience high only in America. She is abondoning her faithful international public once CNN is available around the world 24/7. Following your dreams is the most powerfull atitude that a human being can reach....Christiane, I am already missing your talent...

March 19, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Peter onu

To me she is ireplaceble,with Amanpour on the screen be sure to be late at work cos she will explain or tell the story to yr easiest understanding, she is such an amazing journalist. oh my God, we are gona miss her. i pray that God will continue to guide n protect u wherever u go. thank God we still have Jim, Charles, Femi, Zain, and somany others that are nice on there jobs, may God almighty give u all strenght n good health to perform yr duties.

March 19, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Quiere

If Ms. Amanpour hadn't been put into the same box as those hacks, Campbell Brown and Nancy Grace, and had been given artistic and journalistic freedom, she probably would have stayed with CNN. Now if we can just talk Anderson Cooper into joining another network, CNN can be tucked away into an archived box of its own, marked as an incredible experiment that turned into a National Enquirer lookalike and made an embarrassing demise.

March 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |