March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Dennis

Congratulations Christiane! A good move since CNN is on a downhill spiral.
    How they got the idea the public wants to hear loud, offensive women like Nancy, Jane or Joy is beyond me! So looking forward to watching you on ABC for the good honest journalism we have grown to love and respect from you.

March 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Keith, La Rioja, Spain

Ms. Amanpour has long been a living legend on CNN TV journalism.
    A tragic loss for CNN – you will never find a replacement for her.
    This is indeed a sad sad day....
    However, I wish her the best of luck – though she needs no luck: her professional abilities go beyond such.

March 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ronald Baric- Croatia

She was the best journalist, manager and editor at CNN. As someone said earlier, it is C of CNN. Love you Christiane, thank you for everything you have done for Croatia, Bosnia and the Balkans in general. Good luck on the new television station!

March 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sid

Reading this headline shocked me. She wil truly be missed. We don't get to see ABC news in India. So I guess we will have to wait for the next 'Amanpour'.

March 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chijioke Eke

The story of CNN and Amanpour is like that of the chicken and the egg. In fact I've just emerged from a heated debate of which of them made the other. However we shall miss you on the International circuit Chriatiane. Every news item you touch immediately become "the news item". You are a great girl! Congrats Jamie for having a great pair of EYES! LOL

March 19, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ginny

One of the top journalists of all time.

March 19, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. YasserM

CNN is a great channel although Christiane role in shaping it though her un-biased reporting is critical but i think the credit should also go the other thousands of CNN employees whose work has made CNN a truly joyable experiance to watch and trustworthy. CNN is still going to be my favorite.
    All the best Christiane.

March 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amir Mhawi

Whenever I see Christiane reporting I immediately stop searching for other TV channels. Reports and interviews of this ever young lady are courageous, real, and meaningful.

March 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karim Motahari

Christiane Amanpour, I wish you all the best, Mrs, Amanpour the brave and couragious woman from Iran.like other women from that land, who mad us proud.You are the example of how to be the best.
    Congeratulations, and me and my family will follow you.

March 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Shibu Rajamani

Ready to move up? Desire to move on? Unless your company creates a new position just for you, or you decide to get a better job outside your current company, chances are that you won't get promoted until your boss gets promoted or moves on.

March 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Satoshi

I would like to say "Thank You" to Ms.Amanpour. She is a best International Correspondent in the United States of America. Ms.Amanpour have told people what is the real journalism. I would like to be a journalist like Ms. Amanpour. I am looking forward new "This Week" on ABC.

Thank you for her excellent work.

Take care.

March 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. susan

So disappointed to hear this. I'm an American living in SE Asia, and will no longer have access to her great show Amanpour, which I watch nearly every night. Seems that her value would be greater as an international journalist on an international news network seen by millions around the world than on the far more parochial stage of This Week. What a waste.

March 19, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Paula Dolf

I first saw Christiane Amanpour when she was interviewing King Hussein of Jordan. I was struck by her ability to ask searching questions in such a gentle manner, without offending or being argumentative. She reports, doesn't take sides or express her own opinions, and has the ability to involve us in the story. Whether she is interviewing heads of state or refugees, she shows the same interest in the person(s) and treats them all with the same level of importance. She is truly one of a kind and I look forward to following her on ABC.

March 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ese Atiyota

We would miss you dearly and greatly as we do not view ABC news in my country Nigeria. I wish her all the best. Continue the great work as you go.

March 20, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kingston

This is a great loss to CNN and to us am gona miss her so dearly,hope CNN can bring a replacement.wish her all the best in her new challenges

March 20, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |