March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Chinedu Asinugo

She was an epitome of fine, courageous and investigative journalism – my very idol on tube. I wish her all the happiness she can't get with the move. Congratulations CNN for discovering her and giving her the paltform to touch the world.

March 20, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. cid

This is so sad. ABC cannot hold a candle to CNN International in terms of maturity and depth. I don't understand why someone of Amanpour's caliber would prefer to work there. She was my favorite reporter on CNN International and that says a lot as I love all reporters and anchors there.

March 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Siska

Very sorry to see her leave CNN; she is an outstanding journalist. I always enjoy watching her shows and reporting, but will have to do without her as we don't receive ABC in Europe,....

March 22, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anne DENIEL

CNN ou ABC, je souhaite à Christiane de toujours trouver le temps de se reposer dans le petit coin de France qu'elle chérit.

April 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jose P.

You are the best reporter that CCN had. I travel constantly to many places around the world and it was so important for me to get the real perspective of the news whenever I go and there you were Christiane with your very professional reporting and perspective of the news. You were always on when I needed to watch the news. I heard of your leaving CNN and I could not believe my ears. Well, I hope you read this message so that you know that a fan like me and many others wish you all the best. Keep doing the same professional journalism that you do because unfortunately we don't have (very few) true journalist anymore

May 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bienchen

I will not miss you.
    I just follow you.

You remind me in a way of Karl Kraus, whose comments and opinion and are still being studied in Vienna.

All the best to you and yours.

May 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. razor 204

Goood riddance.... never liked her for anything. she was too opinionated and an extremist. Displayed strong pro-Islamic and pro-Arabic sentiments which should not be displayed as a professional. i think CNN did good in sacking her.

May 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BisiCrown

Amanpour remains an icon of what responsible journalism should do. She dared where others dread. I will definitely miss her. Unfortunately, here in Nigeria I can't get the ABC channel, but I know anytime I am in the US, I sure will make it a date with the AMAZON. Best wishes

June 7, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kandahar

Why she has to leave CNN. I cant get ABC in Afghanistan. i think we have lost another university.

June 9, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Maria Valenzuela

Congratulations to ABC! you got the best of the best.

July 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nancy Moses

I love Christiane. When I didn't see her on CNN again, I knew something was wrong and because of that CNN no longer appeals to me. I don't really understand what they do there now anymore. Political Mann is my second best watch after Amanpour. I hope he too will not leave soon. Anyway, Christiane, I love you and I love what you do – how you report. You are one fine reporter, I tell you and I'm glad it's ABC you went to. ABC, congratulations to you. You just got yourself some high ratings. Christiane, I miss you already. Love you and God be with you and guide you in ABC. – Nancy from Nigeria, West Africa.

September 12, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Payton Butler

radio news are very important and timely so i always listen to it;':

October 5, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Styrofoam Sheets

listening to radio news is the thing i do each day"~:

October 20, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pretty American Girls Forum ·

i always listen to radio news every morning in the same way that i always read the dail newspaper '

November 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |