March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. MARY

For CNN: Now that Christiane has chosen to jump ship...could you please get rid of Rick Sanchez. He belongs at Fox with Glenn Beck

March 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

I guess Arab loving liberals will miss her. I won't. It doesnt get worse than her.

March 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nneka

She is such a fine journalist, i have always enjoyed her reports, she displays such elegance too, what a loss for CNN and congrats to ABC, because you just got yourselves a great deal

March 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kenn

I have been around 76 years and what she reports will always have the ring of truth to it, much like Cronkite.

March 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pattie Miller

This is certainly ABC's gain and CNN's loss. She and just a handful of others have continued to keep CNN a premier source of international news and commentary. However, CNN has been on the decline for some time now as it tries to cater to popular culture.

Christane Amanpour has been a shining light in the midst of a pretty dire news scene. I think we all wish her the very best. And we will certainly follow her to ABC. But I hope that CNN is aware of what it is rapidly losing.

Congratulations to a lovely lady and a darn fine reporter.

March 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tim

Christiane Amanpour, truly in a league all her own... You will be missed dearly by us CNN fans, I wish you the best of luck!

March 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. M Qassim

I have enjoyed your accurate reporting, it sad to see you go. but I am glad ur goin to Fox News, the Cheerleading company.
    thanks

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John L.

The best living journalist in the United States today, no question. I remember watching her broadcasting from the Balkans, completely engrossed by her humanistic style of reporting, and thinking "*this* is what it must have been like to watch Edward R. Murrow!" Her desire - and insistance – to cover the really hard global issues related to politics, faith, and war, and to do it in a respectful and completely neutral manner, has earned her a place among the great journalists of the broadcast era.

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Vickie A. Maidstone

I am, for all intent and purposes, a virtual Ireporter from the virtual world of Second Life. What a shock this is to me as I have tried so hard to fashion my work after her in so many ways. However I found that even my own way of reporting has made a sorta of a trade off as I polished my style and skills as a bonafide reporter/journalist, and yet to model my skills after hers. Ms.Amanpour, if you read this, please know you brought inspiration untold, you taught me how to become what I am today as a reporter. You gave me a leash on something I so want to achieve, even in my own way. You've given me something to try and I took the challenge to become that of which I am so far. You given me hope and courage and a faith to believe. I wish you all the success in your new position and will miss you here at CNN.

Always;
    Vickie Allison Maidstone
    CNN Ireporter

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JM

Christiane is a reporter many of us trust and respect. I look forward to her new program.

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jon

leaving for ABC – what a dive!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ben

Amanpour is simply the sharpest and most inteligent reporter of our time. I am particularly proud of her not only for what she does, but the fact that she comes from the country I come from, Iran. I wish her the best for the neww assignment.

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vkraman

A loss for one is a gain for another – capitalism at work

March 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. EM

I love Christine Amanpour. I love her podcasts and her angle/ critique when asking questions. She has always stroke the right tone and she will be dearly missed. After losing Heidi Collins, Erica Hill, and now Christine Amanpour I don't know how much more I can take. Great reporting Amanpour you will be surely missed. I'm excited for your new show on ABC and hope you have a great transition! All the Best!!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Al Jazz

Departure of Amanpour from CNN is a gift to all dictators around the world, who always were afraid of how she covered their stories. Ahmadinejad is one example. I don't remember anyone has ever questioned Ahmadinejad with the level knowledge and directness that Amanpour demonstrated.

Iranian presidential elections last year was very much affected by the presence of social networking tools on Internet. Facebook and Twitter were blocked in Iran until Amanpour asked Ahmadinejad in May 2009, why he has blocked the site. They day after her question, both site were unblocked and opposition were able to start a major election campaign.

Thank you Christiane for all the good reporting.

March 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |