March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. lopez

baby amanpuor good bye i wish the best of luck at abc

March 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ladislau erdos

Well for me is a surprise and as i live in Europe we don't have ABC news so I can't see her on TV.Good luck for her in the future.

March 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ulinda

I am very happy for you, but sorry you are leaving ,wish you the best and God speed. I will always treasure your work and will miss you at CNN. Imagine I am still missing Bernard Shaw Judy Woodroofe.

March 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Missie K.

All the Best to you at ABC! But, oh how you will be missed at CNN. You are in a league of your own...and, have every-one's admiration for your continued dedication to outstanding journalism.

March 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Deborah

What a true talent we have in Christiane. I wish her all the best in her new spot and look forward to her insight and brilliance in corralling some of these politicians. She is a journalist of the highest caliber and look forward to the day she writes a book of her experiences in the field and on the set. Christiane knows how to bring forward the facts, enlighten us regarding context and is compelling on camera. I wish you all the best.

March 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kay

I am sadden to dear this news. You have long been one of my fav. reporters at CNN and watch your show religiously. Take care and all the best.

March 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

Good for CNN, bad for ABC. Easily one of the most biased reporters on TV. Virtual guarantee I will never watch This Week anymore. Sad.

March 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kim H.

Christiane Amanpour is why I went to communications school! I had delusions of being the "next" Christiane Amanpour. I will miss her terribly on CNN – but since I like ABC, won't be as heart-wrenching as if she were going to a station I never watched. Best of luck and even greater success to you Ms. Amanpour!

March 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ben

Amanpour is simply the sharpest and most inteligent reporter of our time. I am particularly proud of her not only for what she does, but the fact that she comes from the country I come from, Iran. I wish her the best for the new assignment.

March 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A Becker

Please CNN take Christiane back in 6 months. She is Global, so well liked, understood, and appreciated. I feel ABC is going to be too limited, too domestic. I thought the cross network was a good idea. This is going to leave a big hole in CNN.

Now Nic, don't you get any ideas...

March 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. juney

What a loss for CNN! I watch CNN and Christiane's specials whenever they are on. But, ABC, perfect opportunity to get rid of that societal pestilence, Martin Bashir, and replace him with a genuine journalist. How's that for a suggestion? It might just move me to resume watching Nightline.

March 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. A big fan

If Amanpour reported the sky had suddenly turned yellow and was filled with Elvis impersonators, I wouldn't bother looking out the window to confirm. I'm glad that integrity and intelligence are still rewarded once in a while.

March 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ken in NC

Christiane Amanpour is one of the best of CNN and I am saddened to see her leave. I always enjoyed and valued her reporting. CNN will make an effort to replace her and they will put someone in her position but they will never replace her.

March 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jay sard

Chrisiane : You are truly one of the great journalists of our time .. one who brings credibility to everything you do. In this day and age of 'screaming' journalists – you are one who really inform the public . Thank you and wish you the very best at ABC

March 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ben Tammami

Amanpour is simply the sharpest and most inteligent reporter of our time. I am particularly proud of her not only for what she does, but the fact that she comes from the same country I come from, Iran. Best wishes for her new and exciting assignment.

March 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |