March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. AmericanMammal

She'll be missed, but I can't say I blame her; with CNN being hijacked by reprehensible non-journalists like Nancy Grace and Joy Behar, the "big-hair, no-talent, Chicken-Little" school of low-rent squawkboxing has completely overtaken far too much of CNN's airtime. No doubt a real journalist like Amanpour bailed before her pristine reputation was damaged by association with these useless, contemptable windbags.

March 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bienchen

Nancy is tabloid.
      Joy is a least funny and not vicious

May 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Christiane Amanpour is hands down the best international correspondent to date. I enjoy watching her immensely. CNN you have truly lost a great asset.

March 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike in NJ

Congratulations, Christiane. As another has said, you are definitely in the Murrow league of newscasters. I hope you can continue to deliver the detailed analysis you've been providing in your CNN specials. And I hope CNN does not lose all of its great newspersons to other networks. I look forward to following you wherever you work.

March 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diana

Amanpour is the best of CNN's journalists. She is objective and respectful. Best wishes to an admirable woman.

March 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jane

Wow! A woman of integrity and style – a true a professional journalist... something so rare these days. I wish her well however with a bit of sadness in my heart. Don't let the "networks" comprimise your standards.

March 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. muna

that is so sad . cnn plz dont let amanpour go do something .

March 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ian Mac Adamia

She's a clver woman, who knows what she is doing and what she wants to achieve. With her move to ABC, we will have the opportunity to have even greater news reporting. I, for one, can't wait to watch.

March 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Erin

I'm heart-broken. I watch her faithfully every night – and I love every minute of it – but living in France, I will no longer have the opportunity to be so challenged and enlightened by her interviews and reporting. What a shame!!! All the best to her in this next big adventure...!!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tony

Smart move since CNN has become FOX-lite. Even she knows the ship is sinking.

NJ

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tony

I've enjoyed her reports for CNN for many years and there is no doubt in my mind that she added a great deal of credibility to the CNN brand. Unfortunately, CNN has, in my mind, changed as a news organization. It has become more "FOX-like" and less news worthy. Again, my opinion, I think she too has seen a change over the years and had become dis-illusioned with the change; and that is why she is leaving for ABC. The "This Week" program is a perfect venue for her background and experience. It was a very smart move on her part.

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

After staying away from the network since David Brinkley died, I am relieved to say that I will be going back religiously. Ms. Amanpour is in a league of her own and should hopefully fill the void that was created with the untimely death of Tim Russert. For a news junkie like myslelf, this is great news. GO CHRISTIANE!

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John

There went one of the last journalists CNN employed. That leaves them with lots of eye candy and nobody to really do investigative journalism. Hey–maybe they can hire back Glenn Beck to do his magic chalkboard journalism...

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve. NC

Christiane,I have admired your brand of reporting over many years and will continue to follow you wherever your work carries you. You have my gratitude and my warmest wishes.

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Getahun L.

Christiane Amanpour is one of the golden journalists of the present time. For me, she is the most wonderful "newsmaker... but the defintion of newsmaker has to be modified to "a person who makes news worthy" rather than the older definition of "the one that is newsworthy". Christiane, I wish you a wonderful adventure and all the best when you are joining the respected team of ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ersula

Top Notch Journalist! Goodbye and GOOD luck!!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |