March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. sean rezai

I watched her from the beging of her career and always enjoyed her reporting. She is an incredible and brave repoter and she is one of kind. Best of luck and wish her the best.

March 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mac

My wife and I are long fans of This Week and were concerned about who could replace George Stephanopoulos. I really think she may be the one who can!

March 18, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bdgfn

Totally disagree with the writer who feels she is "easily one of the most biased reporters on TV." Ms Amanpour is one of the most unbiased reporters I have ever seen, a true professional, and will be missed at CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joe

She is very good, but not great. No reporter is better then the event being reported. One does not need a correspondant to interpet events, just report them, PEROID.

March 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve. NC

For # 40: Joe, you don't seem to know class when you see it... Ms. Amanpour is class personified.

March 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Yang Razlan

Amanpour is synonymous with CNN International. Wish her the best at ABC

March 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tony

I'll miss her on CNN but plan to watch on ABC. I think she really captures the depth and breath of whatever topic she reports.

March 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jon

This is a huge blow to CNN and a coup for ABC. Christianne is one of the world's top journalists. She's smart, experienced, fair and extremely capable. I hope this spurs CNN to stop the mass exodous of talet to other news organizations. It seems they keep the average ones and let the best go. No wonder they're bleeding viewers...

March 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tim, Boston, MA

It's nice to finally see one journalist leaving amicably. She truly is a class act.

March 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Miguel

I thought her expertize was in the international arena. She will need to be a quick study for US domestic matters.

March 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. abdellah

professionalism is really what fit her the best,wish you all the best christiane.

March 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. m

I'm personally happy because I am an ABC fan as well as CNN, Welcome Christiane....carry on with the great job you've done and will continue to do.

March 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 22Tango

Thanks for all the stories and brave coverage you gave to the world through all your work, Christiane. We'll miss you on CNN. I'll watch This Week because you'll deliver the goods week in and out. Congratulations.

March 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bobe

Thank you Christiane. I wish most journalist were just like you. I hope CNN does not fill your time slot with another Glenn Beck. They surprise me sometimes with their decisions. Good luck.

March 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kcphx

One of the best, brightest people in the business. Good luck.

March 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |