March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. "ER"

The best way that I can think of to describe this fine journalist is, "In-depth reporting with a touch of class." Congratulations on your new adventure!

March 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

I'm am soo sad to hear this...but excited for her. She will do amazing work as always. She is one fearless woman. As a former journalist...I always thought of her to be the perfect role model for anyone interested in journalism. Congrats Christiane!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. brit

time to see a fresh face

March 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JEBU

I wish you nothing but the best. You are the Gold Standard in your field.

March 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jane Macrae

A true professional, she will be a great loss to CNN. I trust, admire and respect her. So few journalists are of her caliber today. For those who are interested in fact rather than sensationalism and analysis, Christiane delivers the goods.

March 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Epheus

i am sad that she is leaving CNN as an international correspondent. She covered international news diligently with the utmost attention to detail. I am glad that I still have the opportunity to watch her bring that same diligence to both domestic and international news on ABC. Lord know we desperately need the likes of her in our news arena. Congrats champ and I look forward to continue listening to your valuable input to our world.

March 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

I LOVE Christiane Amanpour and sad to see her leaving CNN but at least she will still be reporting the news in the same unbiased, engaging, and intelligent style that has always been her trademark! Good Luck, Christiane! I will watch you on ABC. They are SO lucky to get you!

March 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vicki

Christiane, I have followed you for years; your reporting, your Specials, your interviews and there is no one of your caliber reporting today. Your credibility is absolute, your objectivity is a mark of your sharp intelligence and strong grasp of the issues and conflicts (social and military) which you are reporting. I have often admired your courage as you were broadcasting from dangerous and violent places. I guess the time has come for you to "settle down" and travel less; I understand that, and wish you all the best. You have given more than any reporter I have followed (Anderson Cooper, you are coming close!) and have earned immense respect. And I will have to channel surf to ABC now...they are lucky to have you!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. c macneil

I wish her the best but so sad that cnn is losing her. I have so enjoyed watching the stories over the years. She is the best of the best. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

March 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christopher

Christiane – you are a class act. You brought to CNN the dignity of a true, unbiased news organization. I will follow you to ABC – you are thought provoking, daring, and unafraid to go where no one will or can go. Congratulations on your new role. You are one of the few true "journalists" left in the business. What a huge loss for CNN, and a huge gain for ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. non-hater

Wow! It took 38 comments before the nattering nabobs of negativity weighed in. A true compliment to Ms. Amanpour, who has risked life and limb to bring us the truth (and for the record, I'm Irish, not Arab). She will be missed.

March 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. david

Glad to see her go. She always talks up the" poor abused muslims" and bashes the USA every chance she gets. But she is a liberal and that's what the media wants to employ

March 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tomas Rybar

The more she’s trying to nail down the person she interviews the more she injects her values and opinions and less she finds out for us to make up our mind about facts. But that seems to be the trend at CNN today. She is less of interviewer and more of propaganda machine. When she start chewing on glasses then is time to switch the channel

March 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Millie

Christiane Amanpour I congratulate you as a journalist and a woman who has gone to places and covered stories that men could only dream of. Have admired your work for years! Hope to see and read more of your brilliant journalism. You ROCK!!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paul

I, for one, always thought that her reporting was biased and bigoted. She is a friend of the anti-Jewish world. She goes out of her way to promote the Palestinian and Arab causes, and portrays Israel and America as racists. She is one of those who calls terrorists "fighters." I won't miss her. In fact, I'm delighted.

March 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bienchen

Sorry you see her that way.

May 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |