March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Barbara

Sorry she is leaving. A major loss for CNN. But it could be worse ... she might have chosen FOX

March 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Iceman

A sad day for international news. Christiane's show was good and I'm not sure she will fit the Sunday blowhard circle. First and foremost, this is a blow to CNN and those in charge of making a once great source of international news a personality driven dribble fest with news and context almost completely missing. This is one more reason for international viewers to stop bothering switching from BBC World News and al Jazeera English to CNNi. It isn't worth moving your thumb for anymore. Sadly.

March 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Apostle

Why are you leaving CNN to join ABC? Love you.

March 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Patti

She is THE PREMIER REPORTER/CORRESPONDENT on any news outlet. Her credibility is beyond reproach. She has the respect and open door of so many heads of state, diplomats, politicians, news makers, domestically and abroad. When she reports something, it has been vetted to the enth degree and, therefore, more reliable than ANY other journalist.

I will truly miss her special in-depth reports and program. Best wishes, Ms. Amanpour. Hopefully, ABC will give you other platforms on which you can display your talents.

March 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dina

Great journalist, intelligent and caring.Asks the right questions. My favorite woman journalist. But CNNis not the new network it used to be with the gossipy programs like Larry King, Nancy Grace, Jane Velez Mitchell and although I likeher humor, Joy Behar. It is almost a National Enquirer so Amanpour needs a more credible place.I hope ABC stands up to that. Best of Luck.

March 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. C. Roberts

A stellar job CA does, this is CNNs loss. CA's work stands on its own merit and truly is the Cronkite, Morrow of today. CNN will never find another reporter, journalist, and anchor to replace her. CA is just an outstanding person, second to none in the journalistic world. May you have smooth sailing on your new journalistic sea...

March 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Abraham

She got my full attention Every Time..a sence of trust and impartial she always delivers.will miss her and wish her luck and success.
    but CNN still a better News Network.

Abe Lajara

March 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Krish

Amanpour's reporting is basically superficial with a lot of drama and sound bites.

March 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill Simmons

I love Christiane! She has a lot of UPSIDE POTENTIAL.

March 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. olga

I will certainly miss Christaine. She is such an excellent journalist. I have watched for so many years. Good luck to you.

March 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jessica

I will miss her ducking bullets while giving a battlefield report. She is one brave and respected woman. Good luck Christiane, I will miss you dearly

March 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John J. Fradet

A very brave, detailed and convincing reporter. Certainly one who has been in dangerious assignments and locations. You have my complete admiration of your journalistic skills. Knowing your dedication, I am sure you will continue to be one of the best journalist around.

March 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ags

It is pity so many good people have left or are leaving CNN.
    What is wrong?

March 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Randoms

Ms Amanpour is a woman of integrity and class. I can understand why she leaves CNN, it has been going down the "National Enquirer" path for some time now. ABC will greatly benefit! Maybe Nancy Grace will be broadcast to even more trailer parks.

March 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. officewrkr

Will never forget when during a jt press conf betw Chirac and the newly elected Obama she questioned the French Pres on his hate-filled slurs during the riots in the Parisian suburbs. Who else but Cristianne would've had the gall?! lol Love her!

March 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |