March 22nd, 2010

Monday's intriguing people

Rep. Bart Stupak: The Democratic congressman was speaking on the House floor Sunday night, shortly after the chamber passed the sweeping health care reform bill with his help, when someone yelled "baby killer."  Members of Congress groaned, and someone shouted, "Who said that?"

Stupak had opposed the bill over its abortion language until he reached a deal with the White House on Sunday. Just days earlier, Stupak, D-Michigan, was a hero of anti-abortion House Republicans who opposed the bill.

After he announced his support for health care reform legislation, an organization opposing abortion rights withdrew an award it had planned to present Stupak. The Susan B. Anthony List had chosen Stupak to receive the "Defender of Life" award at the "Campaign for Life Gala" Wednesday in the nation's capital.

"By accepting this deal from the most pro-abortion President in American history, Stupak has not only failed to stand strong for unborn children, but also for his constituents and pro-life voters across the country," Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, said in a statement shortly before the House was set to vote on the controversial bill.

In reaction to the award being rescinded, Stupak said, "I didn't seek the award. I stood on my principle. I don't need an award."

CNN: 'Baby killer' shouted at Democrat after bill's passage

CNN Political Ticker: Stupak award rescinded

Rep. John Lewis: The civil rights leader and Georgia congressman said demonstrators against the health care bill yelled racist epithets at him and Rep. Andre Carson, D-Indiana, as protesters walked past them on Capitol Hill on Saturday. Witnesses said demonstrators hurled the N-word at the congressmen multiple times.

"I haven't seen or heard anything like this in more than 40 years, maybe 45," Lewis said. "Since the march from Selma to Montgomery really."

"I've faced this before. So, it reminded me of the '60s. There's a lot of downright hate and anger, and people are just being downright mean," he said.

Andrew Langer, the president of one of the groups that sponsored Saturday's protest, issued a statement Sunday condemning the incidents.

"The Institute for Liberty roundly condemns the isolated incidents of intolerance that occurred. ...  As a core value, the Tea Party movement believes in the precept upon which our independence was declared and this nation was founded: that all men are created equal."

Lewis, 70, risked his life many times on Freedom Rides in the early 1960s when he challenged segregation at interstate bus terminals and sat in seats reserved for white patrons. According to his Web site biography, "he was also beaten severely by angry mobs and arrested by police for challenging the injustice of Jim Crow segregation in the South."

In 1965, he led a group of 600 protesters who had intended to march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, to demonstrate for voting rights. The marchers were attacked by local and state police. The confrontation is now known as "Bloody Sunday."  The march went ahead two weeks later.

CNN Political Ticker: House Republicans denounce racial slurs hurled at Democrats

Office of Rep. Lewis: Biography

Vicki Kennedy: The widow of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and co-founder of The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate saw her late husband's dream realized on Sunday. At the Democratic National Convention in 2008 - just three months after he was diagnosed with brain cancer - the longtime Massachusetts senator called health care for all "the cause of my life."

The couple were married in July 1992.  Their families were longtime friends, and Vicki Kennedy had once been an intern in the mailroom of her husband's Senate office, according to TIME magazine.

Vicki Kennedy is scheduled to sit down with John King for an exclusive interview on the first edition of "John King, USA" which premieres tonight on CNN at 7 ET. The institute she helped to create is a nonprofit organization "dedicated to educating the general public, students, teachers, new Senators, and Senate staff about the role and importance of the Senate."

Edward M. Kennedy Institute Web site

TIME: The woman who saved Ted

'John King, USA' blog

Ali Noorani: Tens of thousands of people turned out on Washington's National Mall on Sunday to support the Obama administration in its next big battle, a renewed effort to overhaul U.S. immigration laws.

"You are a spectacular sight," Ali Noorani, chairman of the coalition that organized the demonstration, told the crowd.

Noorani said the rally had drawn more than 150,000 people "from across the country, and we are demanding comprehensive immigration reform now."

Though overshadowed by the historic debate on health care taking place in the nearby halls of Congress, Sunday's rally set the stage for a revival of efforts to reshape U.S. immigration law.

The issue has been largely sidelined since 2007, when the Bush administration's push to establish a path to legal citizenship for the estimated 11 million people illegally in the United States foundered in Congress. Noorani is executive director of the National Immigration Forum, a leading immigrants' rights organization.

This Just In: Immigration rally draws thousands to Washington

Benjamin Netanyahu:  Israel's prime minister will meet President Obama in Washington on Tuesday and will also make a speech to an influential pro-Israel lobbying group, at a time when United States-Israeli relations are more strained or stronger than ever, depending on your point of view and the expert you ask.

Netanyahu, who will address the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and members of Congress at a dinner Monday night, is visiting the United States soon after Israel was criticized for the announcement that it was planning to build 1,600 new housing units in a disputed area of Jerusalem claimed by both Israelis and Palestinians.

The announcement was made during Vice President Joe Biden's recent visit to Israel and Netanyahu then ordered an investigation into its timing.

AIPAC Web site

CNN: Israel won't back down in dispute with U.S., PM says

1. Charlie

A man of honor would simply come forward and say, "I'm the one who shouted 'baby killer.'" What is he ashamed of? Why is he afraid of being found out? Do you suppose he might not be a man of honor?

March 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maggie

The one thing that stood out to me is how in the first segment the Marjorie Dannenfelser uses the term "pro-abortion." Who is pro-abortion? There is no such thing, only anti-abortion or pro-CHOICE. No one necessarily wants to have an abortion, but it is about the choice to have one or not. Whoever uses the term pro-abortion is ignorant of the true issue.

March 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Al in Chesapeake, VA

I guess you all are too young to remember what your groups did to the military members returning or going to Vietnam since a majority of you liberal thugs are against the
    military. I am glad the Tea Party exists and I hope they keep it up and get all those that
    voted for the bill thrown out come this November. I wish you liberals would all calm down
    and think about what this terrible bill is going to do to the current health care system as well as our national debt.

March 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Judy Staufferj

Turning on Congressman Stupak was simply the most outrageous behavior ever. Shame on those who have and who care so little about those who don't have. Where were the Republicans for the last eight years on the matter of health care. Solution: Now I remember; health care savings accounts. We are to save for emergencies; save for retirement; save for our kids college; save for health care. Okay, I get it. Those who have, get; those who don't. Sorry, you don't get!

Lastly, who are ALL the peole that didn't want the health care bill. If I recall, nobody asked me. Was there a National poll and I was forgotten????

March 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

As a Canadian watching the healthcare debast as a whole within the United States, I was always very confused over the reluctance to change the system. What I have conculded, rightly or wrongly, is that there is a simple difference of belief between the average US citizen and the average citizen of countries with national healthcare services: healthcare as a "right".
    It seems the entire debate can be summed up to this basic, intrinisic question: are medical services a right as a citizen, or a privledge of those who can afford it.
    I believe that the right to emergency trauma care is guaranteed (at least from my understanding), but not the ongoing care for chronic or other illnesses.
    The abortion debate is just another "ride along" of this issue, and is not the core of the debate – but an everlasting debate over abortion, period – regardless of who is "paying" for the care.
    So – are medical services a right or not? That is your decision to make, and from what I see, an issue which be debated for a long time to come – regardless of the outcome of the current legislative process.

March 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ray

How about we bring our kids home from the war before we move onto supporting illegal aliens and spend some more money. Cause I am getting scared. My soon is in Air Force ROTC and now the Marines/Army have open season on him. God only knows what they are promising. And I am sorry he is not going to dye for a war I do not believe in!!!! So how about we bring home the boys!!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin Barbieux

Baby Killer? Really? Denying health care to 30 million americans because they are poor will kill more babies than any right to abortion will.

March 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. War is not Pro-Life

It's funny how these pro-lifers have no problem sending our young men and women (somebodies babies) off to be killed in an unjust war for oil.

War is not Pro-Life

March 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ross

what really saddens me is that fact that the republican party still operates with fear as their main weapon. I can't believe not even one republican could vote for this. Talk about closed mind and partisan attitude! I hope they are all sent home come election time!

March 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keith

Pelosi said it.....but seriously....this won't go anywhere anyway. The only reason I think this actually was able to pass is because the men and women in Congress buried something VERY important down in the wording of this entire bill that would have otherwise never passed. The trick to fixing healthcare is to go after the insurance companies and hospitals who feel it is ok to rape and pillage the consumer with high costs....I mean seriously $200 for a tylenol pill?? It sounds like the military all over again with their $700 toilet seats....and their $400 screwdriver.....until you fix them and get rid off all the illegals who sit in our ERs getting what amounts to 'free' healthcare.....its a joke and our forefathers are rolling in their graves

March 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas Krenick

"Defender of Life" award at the "Campaign for Life Gala" =OTHERWISE known as a bunch of republicans whose only agenda was to prevent the health care bill from being passed.. They can shove that award, or better yet, give it to all the Swift Vets who successfully smeared John Kerry's name with right wing propaganda lies.

March 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Keep the Elephants number low

I hope Republican members to congress remain low. I hope that American people see that this bill is to give many people chance to live better life. Without this, many who are suffering will continue to suffer, but not any more. Morally, we had to do this. Republicans when in power, waged two wars, was not able to defend the country, brought this huge deficit, housing crisis, unemployments and corporation shipping jobs overseas.

I have a very good health insurance working for the "man", but I can make double what I am making by starting my own business. One thing that stopped me from doing so, was health insurance. Eventually, I will be able to do so with this bill passed and you will see many people doing the same as corporations make a lot of money for their CEO and top management team while rest of us have to worry every year, if we have a job and kids to feed and health insurance for the family.

March 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jivetalkinphil

It's time that the Republicans change the name of their party to "Goebbels Opinion Party." There is no end to the lies that they will disseminate in pursuit of their only goal, power. Most of the concepts in this bill have existed for years within the government, and Republicans know it. Socialism? That is a laugh- this is a huge boon for the medical, pharmaceutical and insurance industries, a giant promotion of private interest in the US, and the beneficiaries may be both those industries and the people who are covered by these new policies. A win for all of America. Republicans aren't mad that health care is passed, they are angry that their lies weren't seen as truth by everyone, that a Democratic, and black, President was able to get it passed, and that their do nothing mantra was not sufficient to impede progress.

March 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Michael Traynor

I'd like to thank the Democrats and the President for following through on one of their main campaign promises. Thank you congressman Stupak, for doing the right thing for the people of the country while still staying true to your personal convictions. To the Republicans and Tea Party members, I'm currently deployed to a combat zone fighting in a war started by your hero, the great and awe-inspiring Bush. When I get home, I'd like you to call a civil rights hero the N-word to MY face... see what kind of response you get from an American who's willing to fight for his country. You spit on our culture, our laws, and our constitution with your disgusting shows of racism, hatred, and total disrespect for the House you have been elected to, or stand before. You should be ashamed that you have taken no meaningful action to do anything for any of your constituents, aside from attempt to prevent any forward progress for our nation for a solid two year block. The Democrats have scored a major victory... I already donated to their re-election fund, and now that I know they're willing to work to improve our country, I'll keep donating every week until election day. You, on the other hand, can keep shouting your hate-speech, and we'll see how far it gets you with the moderate vote come November.

March 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Henry Miller

"The widow of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and co-founder of The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate saw her late husband's dream realized on Sunday."

And Kennedy's dream becomes America's nightmare.

The country was already going broke with all the damned give-aways the idiot Dems use to buy votes from people too lazy to take care of themselves; now we're just going to go broke faster.

Medicare is going to cost 89 TRILLION–that's trillion with a 't'–dollars the country doesn't have and has no way to get; this health care insanity is going to cost even more than that. Both programs are absolutely certain to collapse, the only question is whether they're going to bankrupt the country in the process.

March 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |