March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. candid

Where are the passionate tweets? 99% of these tweets are from whiners who do nothing to help the American people. John Boeher should just sue whoever voted for him to be in Congress; travesty. As for Inglis, another Congress may not include you; get a clue.

March 22, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. elnora barnes

i am happy the bill has pass please people gineit a chance the president is trying to help all of us.

March 22, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rod Norgren

The passage of this historic Health Care Reform Bill is a reaffirmation of the election of 2008. The Republican Party still cannot accept the election of an African American President. They seem destined to fight the civil war over and over again. Get over it hill billy's ... you lost! If the people determine in the next Presidential election that their needs will be better served by the other side of the aisle,,,then you will have your chance again. I doubt that you can will in the general without a charismatic informed respected candidate with a platform other than just say no.

March 22, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dennis Allen

Now maybe 60 million sleepy seniors will wake up and realize they have just been taken to the cleaners. AARP is no representative of seniors. Wake up guys, hello, anybody home... 2010 November elections will be clean-up time...

March 22, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. foolindeed1

What do you call "socialistic nationalized goverment take-over approach"? A mandate for everyone to get a health insurance? There can be no reform without a mandate as only when the pool includes everyone it has enough resources for success – otherwise insurance companies go bankrupt – the only entity that can do mandate is federal goverment.

March 22, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. JSY

I agree with any legislation that will help the majority of the citizens of America. With that being said, the biggest problem with this is all the postering by Republicans and Democrats. It is going to take many moths before we as the citizens learn the truth of the health care reform. Did health care need reforming, absolutely it did. I have listened to too much talk from the Republicans about why this is a bad bill. The verbal assualts on the 3 Congressmen by the individuals in Washington should alert all Americans of what is truly still going on. It seems that our President is unable to effectively lead the country because of the prejudices of numerous people. I do not believe for one minute that there are not members in Congress that will not agree or like the President's ideas, simply because he is African American. The biggest problem we have in this country is the Congress. If the President has term limits, so should Congress. These lifer Congressional members should not be there. The President has some wonderful ideas. There are many things in this country that should be changed. President Obama has not attempted to circumvent the Congress to get his way, as the previous President did in sending the military to Iraq.

March 22, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. LINDA MOORE

Congress may have won, but the American people lost...reap what they sow...

March 22, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. b.arnold

How does this health care bill effect military retrees that have tricare for life. Are we still going to be able to use this.

March 22, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rory McNeill

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease (autosomal dominant- spontaneous mutation). There is no cure. I am now 25 years old but it was discovered when I was 3 years old. Now, for once in my adult life, I am glad to be alive! for now there is hope that I can finally afford to see a doctor. I have no health insurance and my regular doctor dropped me as a patient a month ago because I could not afford to pay my last doctor bill of $107. I am in constant daily pain. This is no way to live.

March 22, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sunny

It would be so sad if the Republicans tried to repeal healthcare and denied little children the help they need. Is not one child's life worth everything. Who would be so cruel as to deny this to one of God's angels. they would surely need mercy on their souls. Jesus died to save the Republicans just like everyone else surely they can abide by this to save another.

March 22, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Henry Miller

"What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!"

Yep, and as much as I dislike the self-righteous authoritarians of the modern-day Republican Party, I'm going to be sending lots and lots of money to them over the next eight months–no matter how many thousands of dollars that may be, it will still be cheaper than being taxed to death by the thieves of the Democratic Party.

March 22, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shannon Bohler-Small

My daughter was diagnosed with Diabetes when she was 3. She is in good health, and we are lucky enough to have insurance through our work. When she is on her own, her insulin and supplies, quarterly doctor visits and blood draws would have been enough to be denied care. I am so grateful that she will have options as an adult. I am appalled by the Republicans stance and hateful rhetoric on this bill.

March 22, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. jackie

Good Morning to all its a Historic Day
    It would be wonderful for all of the Repubs to live in the shoes of the American people who have not . Most of you are rich and don't know what it's like to struggle to provide for your family. Health Care is the difference between life and death to those who are not the "chosen ones" and for you to try and keep this momumential process away from us I don't know how you sleep at night . I have never been so interested in a process in all of my 57 years I see Repubs yelling and screaming because one side wants to provide and the other side wants to let people "DIE".
    I have never seen so much negativity flow so easily, Question when you look at your familys do you see approval ? If you do that means you have succeeded in bringing them down to a sub-human level. Being an African-American means more to me than anything and being a role model for my children and grand-children and teaching them that what is right will always win out. Compassion
    is a inward feeling and what the Repubs have is a I've Got Mine you try to get yours if you can find the money. If any of you Repubs want to change places for one month with someone that is struggling send me a comment. I WILL BE WATCHING YOU

March 22, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Derek C.

Rory: I am very sorry to hear of your health issues. I think people forget that sometimes who we fight for our not necessarily ourselves–the lucky majority (even if say it is only 65%) able to pay for our own insurance and not worry about horribly expensive treatments for illnesses–but for those like yourself. I think for a long-time now, people with severe health issues have felt abandoned by their own country. I think this bill is not perfect, but a step in the right direction. Hopefully when the reforms take place, you will find that life is at least somewhat easier for you. Everyone deserves access to affordable healthcare. It should be part of human rights after all! We are a superpower but allow our sick and disabled citizens to die because those citizens can't afford to allow insurance companies or pharmaceuticals to make profits?

This bill was a fight to support the underdog and the forgotten. Now I hope this continues because otherwise, despite my patriotism, I will emigrate. Whenever I have children of my own, I want them to have access to very affordable healthcare and education and not be in debt because they wanted to be healthy and make something of themselves! I'll gladly give up the United States of America for my family, if that is the case. I don't want to do it and don't think I will as long as we stay on the right track. But it's always an option on the table if the government just doesn't work out for me.

March 22, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. android1

Wow.What is so bad about this bill?America can never get stronger unless it starts taking care of their own.It is nice to see something with a multi-billion dollar price tag is not going to the armamments and war....

March 22, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |