March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. marko

The hole point of this needs to be reducing the cost of coverage for all of us as a hole by 50 %. This is what is necessary for employers to afford the coverage for their employees so we don't have to ship our jobs off shore. I hope this is a step in the right direction. I also noticed that the Repubicans have done nothing absolutly nothing in any regard to make this happen. We will remeber this in November.

March 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brent

This bill is a nightmare full of unfunded mandates. Again, its not that we do not need health care reform but to rob from Peter to pay Paul is insane. How do you suppose we are going to fund these mandates – that is right, we will tax and tax away just as we are recovering from recession and 10% unemployment.
    My family is from Canada where socialized medicine is a birth right. Most people, who can, purchase private insurance and travel to the United States for care because the government run plan is awful. In essence, it's rationed care.
    For all you people who think this is going to solve your worries, you are sadly mistaken. The care will decline and you will be waiting on lists to be seen at your doctors office. Don't believe me ? – travel to Canada or Britain for a first hand view.

March 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ps

As a provider I am appalled by the Health Insuarance fiasco in the United states.

Their policy is to collect premiums from healthy and deny payments to the sick.

March 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. david

There are two things that make healthcare expensive for all of us in America – the high cost of medications and the exorbitant lawsuits – this bill fixes neither!

March 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christine

What do you call a federal mandate that forces everyone to pay into a public retirement plan? Social Security. Republicans opposed it too. What a shame they haven't learned anything in 70 years.

March 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Red

It is sad to read the posts and see how much hate is generated from greed and meism. All sides of the political arena are full of nasty greedy people but the republican haters and detractors are wasting our time and dollars. Term limits are most definately needed. If you cannot make a better plan keep your mouths shut. The elite and elite wanna be's are killing this country.

March 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tina

I am a military wife of a active member and even though we have health insurance, I as a American citizen I want everyone in this country to have it as well. I am also studying to be a nurse and that is another reason also. The republicans need to grow up and stop acting like immature little brats!!! When they had their turn with running congress and the white house they came up with nothing!!! I am not saying that this should be a handout but you know there are alot of people like my parents who worked hard to have a roof over our heads and food on the table, clothes etc and still did not get health care for the family and that is not right. The republicans were working for the companies and no one else yesterday!!! Yes I did tell my congress people (who are republican and told my democrat senator the same thingf that I am saying here)

March 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff

Is it reasonable for an individual with a bladder infection to go to the emergency room and be placed under supervision for one day and then be run through multiple tests, released and sent a bill for $10,000, because they did not have insurance?

If you vote "NO" on the bill then I guess it is okay.

March 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kathryn

The republican sophmoric rhetoric incures a small and yet seemingly hegemic voice to spew such venomous pathos without any sense of logo or ethos that I am beginning to think that to run for public office should require a mental health check up prior to even running for election. Of course that would require them to have health insurance....which as white upper class men they most likely have. Perhaps if they had to pay out of pocket and not ride on my dollar to receive good health care they would not take the Healthcare industry lobbists dollars so readily?

The bill needs work, but I am proud that one is passed and that our government has taken steps to represent all of us (which is their job) on the healthcare issue. Good job Obama and democrats.

March 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GiveMeABreak

Finally, finally, finally, a piece of legislation that helps the average working family. Like most Republicans, I had healthcare until I was laid off. I could not afford COBRA and my family was exposed. It's easy for the Republicans in Congress to deny American citizens what they themselves enjoy. They're a bunch of hypocrites! For all those critics out there, keep in mind you pay for your roads, bridges, public schools and yes, your car insurance. These are not options. Grow up people. This will work for everyone.

March 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CAROLYN

so glad someone less fortunate will have a chance to be healthy and get care. so sad that some politicians are so cold and uncaring. even if i end up paying an increase in taxes down the road so be it. i am my brother's keeper.

March 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Juan

What's going to happen when there is no death panel? What's going to happen when this reform is not the end all that so many of the respectable Congress women and Congress men have been telling their constituents? Do the Republicans have a contingency plan for when they start to see that this plan starts to benefit the majority of people? I ask these questions because all I hear from that side is verbal hate. Insurance problems stem from moral hazard and adverse selection problems. This is not going to be perfect, hence, we still have a lot of work to do.

That being said, I hope that everyone in these United States see themselves as americans and not republican and dems, a point of view that have divided us in a most inefficient way.

March 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ArizonaJerry

Only time will tell just how good, or bad, this health care bill is, and what the true costs will be. The bad part of all of this is that it was done like all the other bills that go thru Congress – one party against the other, right or wrong, come Hell or high water. Too bad they don't have to have their health care under this bill, it might have been a different story, and a better bill. I have an intense dislike, and distrust, for both parties, and this latest gridlock fiasco is another reason I am in favor of term limits for Senators and Representatives, and would support a viable third party.

March 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

This bill may not be perfect but once they see that all the GOP scare tactics were false the next bill can be better. The GOP in Colorado was saying that Medicare would be gone if this passes and now not only is Medicare going to stay it is starting to be funded. If you want unfunded mandate you should look at what Bush did with the GOP on about every bill they passed. An 8 trillion dollar debt is hardly the work of fiscal conservatives and how people can think the GOP has any ideas that would save money is a joke.

March 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mary newell

I can't say I am for this, or against this. Waht I do know is that we as Americans that will pay for this did not have the opportunity to know what is in this bill. Quoting Nancy.."We must pass to know what is in it!" We should have taken parts of the bill and voted; i.e. preexisting medical issues, etc. It is a disgrace that we never got a class room on this bill. I hated the way it as passed, and we are Americans. Unbelievable. We will pay for this from the middle class pocket; not the rich, not the poor, but by the sweats of the backs of the middle class. I went to my doctor this morning and he said, we should all be concerned; my friend resigned from being a doctor and pulled his daughter out of medical school. Wait until we start to find a doctor. This is a disgrace the way it was passed.

March 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |