March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. CanadaSean

Congtatulations to our neighbors to the South...Welcome to the 21st Century !

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gary

While I understand the the theory behind it, forcing people to buy health insurance is just wrong. If this withstands the court challenges it will get, where does it stop? Hypothetically, the government could force you to buy an electric car or pay a hefty fine tomorrow. Apparently all they need is enough votes – since they obviously don't care about the population's opinion. Heck, even taxes, social security, and medicare could theoretically be avoided *if* someone didn't want to earn money to be taxed on. So much for freedom of choice. Democrats have permanently lost my vote.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave Brantley

We need to return to a civil discourse and stop name calling and exageration. Socialism means the goernment owns the mechanisms of production. This plan does not call for government run hospitals. And to Shawn, I don't want free health care. I just don't want to pay for the health insurance congressional lobby or Kaiser permanente's thrive commercials. Governemt regulation is not always bad. A hands off approach with the banking industry did work so well.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brenda Stone

I am one of the people this bill is supposed to help. I have a pre-existing condition and can't get insurance. But even if I could get it I can't afford it. I have no children and am not low enough income to qualify for any government assistance but I am low enough that I struggle from paycheck to paycheck to survive (and I am not even deeply in debt.) The idea of my pre-existing condition not being held against me is great, but what good is it if I can't afford insurance anyway? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that insurance companies will start raising rates as fast as they can. And then the govt will penalize me if I don't get insurance? I fear they will throw away the key to this poorhouse I am already stuck in by the passage of this bill.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ScottG

This will EITHER work or not. And I don't care if you're a Democrat planning a blowout victory party tonite, or a Republican planning a wake.

Remember–It's not End of the World. Reps–let's SEE how this plays out. (and let's see if Rush heads for Costa Rica–a land with nationalized healthcare–or not.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jettieva

This is the most uncivil congress I have witnessed in my lifetime. For a party which typifies their members as Christians, they have shown some very un-Christian behavior over the last two months. Sounds like sour grapes to me. The Republican party needs to start sending adults to congress instead of the petulant adolescents who are there now.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jay

Welcome to the rest of the world from your neighbours to the north. Preventative health care is alot more cheaper than corrective health care over the long run. Which is why companies are crying foul because they will loose money. Hoping for peoples health to deteriate as a business model is horrible and is dispicable.

March 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MS

So whats the big deal about being forced to buy health care insurance or be fined. If you own a home in any American town you are forced to buy Fire Care no matter how many fire extinguishers you own and you are forced to buy Police Care no matter how many guns you own. So if you own a human body in America you must buy health care. If it helps, just look at it from the opposite side – If you buy your own health care you get a tax break.

March 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Angie in PA

The Republicans will stop at nothing to destroy this President how they can sit there and deny people Healthcare and not fight for people who get kicked off because of Pre-Exsisiting conditions is beyond me just goes to show the Republicans are not on the peoples side only the Insurance compaines and the only thing they care about is regaining power. how sad they have become.

March 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LaScarlett

Lue, i'm with you! I'm 26, healthy, employed, have excellent coverage and I'm FOR this bill.

March 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jan

Proud to be an American today! I'm proud of our Congress and our President, and am thankful they took a courageous step forward for our country. It's a historic, terrific day!

March 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jean

Everyone Remember this in the Future because it's really going to matter. Nothing in this world is free and you get what you pay for. When you can't find a doctor to treat you or you have to wait month to be treated and maybe you die in the meantime "O Well" this is what you want.
    I have a friend in Canada who was hit by a car and injured by the time she was able to see a specialish there was nothing they could do, she now will be handycapped for the rest of her life. Very true story.
    This is what you will get with what the evil empire will give us.

Answer this is there anything that the US Government has touched that hasn't been messed up? Government is paying with our lives.
    The President, and Congress & Senate have Cadilac plans, they go to the Navel Hospital to be treated by the latest Technology. This bill will never effect them, and yet there are some that think this bill is great. Yes we need Healthcare in this Country but you don't put a bandaid on a gapping wound.

March 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tina

Dear Bexum: The concept of "Caring Americans" is a myth. There is no such animal. It is the "me first"mentality that has given this country's citizens the intestinal fortitude to turn it from a backwoods colony into an industrial superpower. Even in prior decades, it was the "me first" and "not in my back yard" mentality that spwaned every significant movement in our history. We are anti-"anything that even hints of socialism" because God forbid we should be seen as a country that takes care of one another in any way. More inportant for us to continue being the rugged individuals who take take care of their own. Whether or not we're truly happy at the end of each day is irrelevent. No wonder the rest of the world scorns and laughs at us – until they have a crisis or natural disaster. Then they're begging at our door. If we were half as good at taking care of our own citizens are we are at giving aid to other countries, we'd already have universal health care.

March 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ma

let's do more. this is the starting point for America and the dead end for Republican. sorry may be NO Insurance money to come. we will fight back and make sure no Republican will get elected for any term. hey REPUBLICAN THE INSURANCE COMPANY IS HIRING. Republican you put more than 10 million workers plus out of work, millions lost thier homes, lost coverage, now we are back thanks to Obama leadership.

We saw your leadership for the last eight years, no more. You have your time you waste it. Republican = hate, ugly words, no party.

March 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nin

I have lupus and I work. My employer and I pay for insurance which will not cover much of my medical expenses. Now I will be able to get coverage for my pre-existing condition (& everything else which the insurance company has been able to blame on lupus). I will be able to get the best medication, instead of just surviving with what I can afford. This will let me be more reliable, more productive and able to take on more responsibility at work. It will free up about $400 of my monthly budget with which I can afford a much healthier diet, further increasing my wellbeing. For the first time in years, I feel like I may get my life back. Thank you Democratic party!

March 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |