March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Keku Aga

It's ironical that some people are more concerned about the basic rights of the unborn child than those of the living, condemned to die under the existing system.

March 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marie

Actually Brent (#59), for all its many many many problems, I would take the UK health care any day. After 15 years in the US, I find the US health system dehumanising. I don't agree with much in the new bill, but change is the right, moral thing to do. Well done Obama.

March 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Glo53

No matter what happens the GOP and their followers will not be happy. They choose to ignore the fact that they had 8 years and did nothing. Shame on them. They said from the beginning they want the President to fail and they are trying everthing they can to make that happen.

Shame on the people that sat back come November and let them win. They need to see who is in charge.

March 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Deborah

This is the end of the Republican Party. They showed they really don't care about the American people. They are so out of touch with what is going on out here. I say Amen to their demise.

March 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick

What the Repubicants tried to do by voting "NO' was to keep the status quo. They have no interested in working with the Democrats on anything, especially if it advances President Obama's agenda. Their unified stance against this President began before he President arrived at Pennsylvania Avenue. The one thing that you can say about the Republicants is that they stick together... for that, they will all fall together.

March 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SG

I worked several years in corporations and had insurance coverage through work. I was never denied any coverage. However, last year, I turned independent (small business) and the same insurance company that had my coverage for last six years suddenly decides to not cover any complications from a surgery I had couple of years back.

I am glad something has been done to cover pre-existing conditions.

March 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lawrence

Thank you everyone that voted yes. This Bill was definitely a Basic Human Right that everyone should have, Not one Republican saw any gain or merit for human life, I will truly remember that when its time for them to get reelected. I'm glad we have a president that cares about the people. We can go spend Trillions of $$$ looking for weapons of mass destruction, but when it comes to helping people that are less fortunate SCREW THEM.......

March 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. david

if people spent the money in a constructive manner instead of fighting to "regain" power, we would have health care paid for...kinda ironic isn't it? Priorities.

March 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fred

these republicans never dissapoint! thyre slogans and soundbites and no subsatance! Empty rhetoric of indipendence and "personal responsibility" when they dumped the economy for 8 years
    and sold our entire industrial base to the chinese and they have the balls to question attempts to reform healthcare!

March 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jean-Jacques

I have health insurance through my work and God Willing, my family has been healthy and rarely use it. Every year I've seen my premium going up and yet many others are uninsured. If it takes a few more dollars from me so that my neighbor down the street can be insured so be it. There are lots of things my taxes pay for (Iraq War) that I disagree with but I still support our troops. Now, it 's time to support and improvise what you don't like in it.

Mike, I am glad your father worked hard but he did not have to die. Had this law been in effect, he probably would have been here to see your success. This bill may be able to do that for many other kids who won't have to lose one of their parents because of preexisting conditions. May God bless this country for looking for the least amongst us.

March 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TKB

It is really sad that we still as a nation don't understand that nomatter who is President, God is still running our country. This has nothing to do with RACE but what Gods will is. WE needed change so that each one of us can look in the mirror to know who we truely are, if we don't get it corrected here on earth we won't be able to enjoy the kingdom in heaven. I'm praying for everyone who continue to be racist, there isn't going to be a heaven 1 for whites and one for blacks, we will all be together praising the LORD and if you can't understand that small information as a mustard see how can you understand the greatest of GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cyclone

We look at this like all that was passed was healthcare reform, but what we are witnessing here is a government take-over of our lives. I don't need the government telling me I should n't eat trans-fats or that my pepsi is going to be taxed. We have too much governement in our lives. So much for living free.

March 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David

The care will decline and you will be waiting on lists to be seen at your doctors office. Don't believe me ? – travel to Canada or Britain for a first hand view.

Posted by: Brent

Everyone thinks the care is so good here. If that's the case, Brent, why do Canada and Britain have longer lifespans as a whole? People just don't have the facts and in turn make ridiculous arguments. We spend by far the most per person for health care in the world, and our care isn't even the best!

March 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Disabled in America

Rory McNeill– why are you not on Social Security Disability? Medicare comes with it regardless of age.

March 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. pa koz

i was at an emergeny hospital clinic when a 2 year old girl wqas not admitted with pnuemonia because she wasnt insured she was given a prescription and sent home where who knows if she lived or not.john boehner went to a hospital because he had a slight burn from laying on a tanning bed too long and specialists were called in to treat him at tax payers expense so ifyoure one of the lackeys of the insurance companies i suggest you look at them too when you start screaming baby killers

March 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |