March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. robert bryan

The Healthcare is bad and unconstitutional period...
    Do we need health care reform to help all americans YES...

Its funny how the democrates have brought all these horrible stories about the evil insurance companies. the large profits they are making.In reality they are only making 2-3% return...The reason for the high prices, goverment regulations and lawsuites driving up costs...

So great job in passing a bill that takes money from tax payers and spreads it around to other people in the country...

The founding fathers must be so proud right now...

March 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Don B

Republicans and those who support them need to remember that if it weren't for the Republicans and the Bush administration we would not be in this healthcare mess nor the debt we currently have. Republicans are not for the American people and I would like them to stop stating that the American People, as I did not and will never vote for a Republican so they are not speaking for me "AN AMERICAN"

March 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. azsparrow

Back at the start of this country, Nancy Pelosi and other "yes" voting Dems would have been known as a "Loyalists" and made King George proud.
    I would rather be destitute and live free, than insured and ruled by tyranny!
    We all lost some Liberty yesterday... shameful abuse of power.
    Next under the commerce clause, the new House of Lords will mandate us all buying GM cars in the name of some Jobs Bill no doubt...

March 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cedric

I along with millions of other Americans voted for Obama.Health Care Reform was one of his major campaign promises.The repubs constantly state that the American people don't want this,They lie! We voted for this! We deserve this! We are proud of Our President!

March 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Craig in NC

I’m a fiscal conservative, and a capitalist. But I believe that some things shouldn’t be strictly for profit – health care being a prime example.

The problem with our present system, for both Democrats and Republicans, is they must constantly kowtow to their base(s). Republicans lost the last election, we didn’t deserve to win – we have not been good Stewards of the economy. But Democrats have failed to push through true reform because they wasted time trying to get “bipartisan support”. Americans flip a coin every election, the coin may land heads or tails, but never on it’s side. Stop trying to land the coin on its side, and do what you said you’d do with your mandate. You will be judged on results, not the whining of the other side because you didn’t agree with their ideas.

March 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sara

I find it funny that people think this is "socialistic". Just because the feds made it happen, doesn't make it a socialistic approach. The difference is this: in a socialistic government NONE of us would pay for our coverage, our national government would not only SUPPLY IT, but PAY for it with our tax dollars.

Getting all twisted over something like this is INSANE. Did you revolt when your state began to require you to carry auto insurance? Did you raise cane when the insurance companies convinced your state that somehow your credit score affected your ability to operate a car in a responsible manner?

The only way to lower the cost of care was to either A) Set caps (something our government cannot do to private industry). B) Operate a government run option (a capitalistic no-no) or C) Require everyone to have it and require the companies to stop gouging the consumer. There wouldn't be insurance companies if the business was not profitable.

Maybe now that sick people can go to a regular clinic, not crash the ER and walk away leaving a $5000.00 bill, we will see the true cost of care.

March 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nathaniel

You call a "socilalized takeover", Medicare. Something that works and has worked for decades. This is simply the opportunity to expand this program... and bring down the deficit.

March 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

Brent – this is a croc. I'm Canadian and the health care that I receive is second to none. Don't believe the waiting list crap that people in the US opposed to health care state. My father has a pacemaker and a defilbrillator and my mother has a pacemaker. Without government health care they would not have been able to receive this help as cost would have been astronomical. They also didn't have to wait long a period to have the surgeries. I have worked/travelled extensively in the US in the past and I am shocked at the misinformation that keeps coming out about Canadian health care.

March 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jonathan

From Brent: "My family is from Canada where socialized medicine is a birth right. Most people, who can, purchase private insurance and travel to the United States for care because the government run plan is awful. In essence, it's rationed care."

We have Canadians in the USA traveling back to Canada for medical care, and we have Canadians traveling to the USA for medical care. Gee, maybe no system is perfect all the time for all people. I have traveled to Canada and the UK (which have very different medical systems from each other as well as from ours) several times and know people in both countries. While they will complain about aspects of their national health care systems, they will point out to an American that at least they have one, like the other civilized countries on the planet.

Yes, it is "rationed care". It does not provide everything for everybody, and people can and do purchase supplemental insurance. But we don't have rationed care? Try having a pre-existing condition, or lose your job, or have a job that does not provide insurance, or have the audacity to get sick, you don't get rationed care, you get none.

March 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lucy

For the record – I am not on a waiting list for a doctor – some folks have challenges getting doctors – but this has nothing to do with Canadian Medical Care – it is because we are still working on getting our Education stuff correct – plain & simple, it just costs too much money in Canada to go to school to become a doctor – so we do not have enough of them – and then of course so many of them decide to go practice in the US – where they can make WAY more money because they charge you all personally and work with your insurance companies to make sure they are paid WAY too much – they have to be a tad more reasonable here.........and our health care is not in decline – the quality may not be over the top like some of your private clinics and hospitals – but we are okay really..........I have been a Canadian my whole life – and I have no issue with waiting a few weeks to see my doctor and paying nothing as opposed to going in today for a mere couple hundred bucks – if I have an emergency, I can always go to the emergency – I may wait 4-5 hours (unless I am triaged first then no wait) but those 4-5 hours are free hours – a small inconvenience in comparison for sure.

March 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elle

Sorry, Brent, but being from Canada and living in the US, most people do NOT buy private insurance to come to the US. Most Canadians may complain about taxes, etc. but we are VERY proud of our universal health care and wouldn't come to the US except as a last resort. In fact, a lot of Americans have been heading north for treatment because it's cheaper but I can assure you that it's just as good, if not better. Our doctors don't throw money at every test in the book to treat lots of people. They know their diagnostic skills and are VERY skilled.

Not to mention that it's sad the more people don't understand the difference between socialism and regulation. You didn't just get socialised medicine. If you had, insurance companies in the US would no longer be for profit. The US is the only country where insurance is for profit. You got regulation. In other words, insurance companies are now there to look after people and can't drop people or deny them because of profit margins. What's saddest for me is that while so many Americans think the US medical system is the best, they don't realise that the US lags behind EVERY industrialised county in the world (even behind a number of South American countries or Central Asia) for life expectancy, infant deaths during birth, etc. while also spending more money per capita on medical costs. What that means is a lot of money going to help not so many people.

The quality of a nation is measured in its caring for its citizens. This bill, as imperfect as it is, is a move in the right direction to show that the US DOES look after its own. The system has been broken for too long. And the glory days are gone. It's a new day, and a new opportunity for Americans to have an equal chance at life, liberty and happiness.

March 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. drm

Frankly, I am tired to death this stagnant, partisan driven,axe grinding, special interest, out of touch, government. My oversimplified,country boy solution is to vote out any incumbant regardless of affiliation. Lets look at independants or even write in's . A total house cleaning is in order. I don't see how it could possibly be any worse.

March 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jackson

Interesting, GOP'ers are having a fit. I would be too, if I was financed by Insurance industry and Big Pharma companies. The GOP is trying to spin this any way they can to scare the un-informed, racist and crazy lunatics in the GOP camp and it's bringing out the worst of the worse. Great job, GOP America and the rest world are seeing the real GOP surfacing.

This shows the GOP isn't out looking to the American public, but instead they have Insurance industry and Big Pharma companies best interests in mind.

March 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Margaret

I've not only traveled to Canada and Britain, Brent – I lived in Britain for twenty years. I found nothing wrong with their healthcare system and I certainly didn't have to think about what it was going to cost me if I had to see a doctor, or, God forbid, I had to go to an ER. If the United States has the best healthcare system in the world, why is it that life expectancy in the US is lower than in the other countries you mentioned. According to the United Nations statistics 2005-2010 Life Expectancy is 80.7 years, Britain 79.4 years, and in the United States 78.2 years. The CIA World Factbook for 2009 lists life expectancy in Canada as 81.23 years, Britain 79.1 years and the United States as 78.11 years. I have had many family members live to ripe old ages in both of these countries. It's true that you may have to wait some time for non-life threatening surgery, but if you are in need of immediate attention in Canada or Britain you will receive it and you will not have to worry about losing everything you have just to pay the bill.

March 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Poppysmum

"The care will decline and you will be waiting on lists to be seen at your doctors office. Don't believe me ? – travel to Canada or Britain for a first hand view."
    True story from the UK – Time from EKG in the field to diagnose a heart attack to being on the table for angioplasty? 24 minutes. Being able to afford the medications required during recovery? Pricelss. Being alive thanks to socialized medicine so you can enjoy your new grandaughter? UK
    Being unable to have any of this because you don't have insurance? USA
    "Yep, and as much as I dislike the self-righteous authoritarians of the modern-day Republican Party, I'm going to be sending lots and lots of money to them over the next eight months–no matter how many thousands of dollars that may be, it will still be cheaper than being taxed to death by the thieves of the Democratic Party."
    Why not use that many 1000s of $ to help someone who cannot afford health care? Oh sorry that would involve compassion and actually thinking about other people and becoming educated about health care reform.

March 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |