March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Dan Gee

Thank God we finally got something good for the people, so tired of insurance company running our health care system, and we have to die waiting while they jerk sick people around.
    I never voted just party lines, but sure will never vote again for any republican, they sure showed their butts this time, they say we don't have the money for health care but they sure find lots of money for wars, killing many people, and and destroying other countries. Hand over billions to wall street with no questions asked. Left our country in a mess. They sure are a great big joke!

March 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. middle class american

As a middle class American, single mother with a full time job, I need to know something... How much money do I have to keep "dishing out" to those less fortunate than my son? I work in "the system" and on a day to day basis see and deal with people who get help "from the system" and just recently had a conversation with a 17 and 16 yr. kid who thought that the money they were already recieving was money from some man they called Uncle Sam. I am horrified by this. They had no idea that there really was no man named Uncle Sam. They were also surprised to find out that I don't get a check. Their remarks were, "We thought everybody gets a check." So, tell me...how is this helping anything? I want my child to be a kind and generous person but I also want him to work hard and get through life by being able to take care of himself and his family one day. NOT EVERYONE elses. If you feel that you must help everyone else then I have NO problem with that. You pay higher taxes, pay all the taxes you want BUT LEAVE ME OUT OF IT!!!!! I never would have thought that we could be stupid enough to give up our freedom and become socialists. AMAZING!

March 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BDTrooper76

Wasn't the mandate amendment put in there by the Republicans to further the profits of the insurance companies?

March 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert Harrier

This is something that will forever change America... I disagree with the bill and cannot believe that the lawmakers of this country would pass such a bill! As if Americans aren't in debt already how is our government going to afford to pay this millions if not billions of dollars that this bill is going to cost! And what about our soldiers and their families on tricare? Is that insurance still going to be available to them or are you going to start charging the people who put their lives on the line to keep this country save for their families health care!

March 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brains

The Republicans sold the American people out by letting the liberals pass this bill. The people do not want this bill but that won't stop the government from ramming it down our throats regardless.

March 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rose

We all get sick, we all need to see a doctor and get medicine. Right now I can't afford my Acidphex, and my stomach is hurting badly. My car needs gas and my kids needs to eat . All I can say is thank you President Obama.

March 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robin Thomas

I am glad that this bill passed think about all the people out there without insurance or the parents of children who may have graduated from college but are not able to find employment in which health insurance is offered this is truly a great bill for all of Americans and if the American People stop listening to the scare tactics that the republicans continue to state that are not true then they too will see that this bill is good for all Americans. Thank you Congress and Mr. President Job well done.

March 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BDTrooper76

I also have an international perspective on health care. My wife is from Poland (yes her childhood was behind the iron curtain), and she is the only member of her extended family to have left Poland.

When we explained to her family that insurance can and regularly does deny coverage to clients, they were completely without understanding. That can only be done in America with cartel insurance.

March 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Max Greenhalgh

Mr. Stupak:
    You could have plugged the dike, but instead you turned the switch that will eventually open the flood gates. You seemed like a principled man, then you sold your soul...for what...Pelosi and Obama's legacy? We thought we could count on you, but you waited til the very last moment to take off the sheep's clothing... and then you broke our hearts!

March 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bert

It's great to know that we are now joining ALL of the other mocern, industrialized democracies of the world in respecting our citizens enough to provide them with affordable health care. It also strengthens our claim to be a "Christian" nation by providing for the poor and the sick–just like Christ claimed to spend his life doing. Its interesting that the Republicans were all on board to provide great tax cuts for the wealthiest people in our nation but NONE of them were interested in helping the poor or the sick. Does this mean that No Republicans are Christian?

March 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gregory Koulisis

There are a lot of people sounding off in the comments below either in support of or not in support of the bill but the truth is none of you know much about it. This is the problem with modern Americans- rumors, lies and word twisting are used to propel a political cause forward.

I for one think its a universal value that we all would want to be healed if we were sick, I think if you're denied healtcare in a time when you truly needed it many of us would consider that unethical. Now that the bill has passed we can only see what is going to happen, but you can't knock it before you try it and keep in mind we can always return it after we buy it.

Congress is a company in my mind, one that's failing to work together as a team for the American people. Since the American people are the shareholders of Congress I as a voter demand bi-partisanship from both parties and if I dont see my own rep's reaching out across the aisle I'll definitely be taking a look around for someone else who will.

Enough is enough.

March 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Samson

The Republicans remind me of folks who never want their enemies to succeed no matter what they do. Here is a bill that will help 32 million Americans sleep better because they will have health coverage which before now has been a dream for them. I would like the Republicans to think hard about how much the nation has spent, and will spend on two foreign wars they got us into. Now they want to complain about spending a fraction of that to help their fellow Americans? The GOP is simply amazing!!!

Sam

March 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave Brantley

Jean, I am an RN manager and I see managed care patients waing constantly to see "in network" specialists. Don't look at Canada or England as examples. Look at France. The WHO rates them as number 1 in the world. We are 37th.

March 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jack62

My hope is that people don't begin to abuse the privilege of having health care. It's one thing to go to a hospital when you are really sick. It's another when you go for trivial things just because you have insurance. There's a big difference. Also, now that we have a national health care, when do we start on legal reform? How many people are hurt because they can't afford quality legal help? The same lawyer politicians pushing medical reform look the other way on this one.

March 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jack

Thank god this bill has been passed. Poeple with not be BULLIED and FORCED into going the way of the Republican party and the Tea Baggers! I'm NOT sorry they will no longer be paid by the insurance lobbyists to prevent this bill from being passed! I will FINALLY be able to get healthcare and not be turned down for my BP or my Hypertyroidism! Pregnant women will FINALLY be able to buy THEIR OWN insurance without being turned down for Pregnancy being a previous health condition! You don't like it...YOU can leave the country...it's so nice to be able to say that instead of the Republicans spouting it to me!

March 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |