March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Dgeorge Mills

Is very unfortunate that Republicans were in power for eight years and did not even attempt to get us health care, but now they are crying. These are some sick selfish little people. The bill is not perfect, but its a stsrt. Lets get rid of these fools, by sending them back to their caves.

March 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SynamonSays

How sad that republicans and a few democrats would rather people die than stand with President Obama. They can say what they will but the truth is they are filled with hatred and fear. Hatred of Black America and Fear of losing their next election wills. Thanks to the Democrats who had the guts to stand for the people of America. Boehner is obssesed with taking down the President and he does not care how many Americans he takes with him. Lets see whose waterloo this is Boehner and company.

March 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Duke

You can make up the deficit a hundred ways from Sunday. What you can't make up is a life lost due to being denied health insurance. For the republican party to actually put a price on the lives of the born is a complete and total sham. Yet they will throw every penny they have into the pro-life cause. How much of a hypocrite can you be. The republican party needs to go away and never come back. There isn't enough room in our society anymore for worthless and intentional stupidity in order to cater to people who are even more worthless and stupid.

March 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tim G.

You want to know a slap to the face? My father is a Vietnam Veteran who put his life on the line and served his country proudly yet he is still charged outrageous prices for his medication through the VA. It costs so much that every year his and my mothers tax return is taken by the government to pay the medical bill. Now that he has filed for social security they are taking more of that to pay the medical bills.

I am from a poor family and did not receive health insurance till recently with my job at a school district. I know what it is like to not go to the doctor to get checked for an illness. At least now millions more will have the chance to go be seen. Many of these conservatives claim to be on the side of Jesus yet they are the last to help the poor in the country.

March 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Michelle

The Republicans are making this whole thing about winning or losing instead of considering the real needs of the American people. Health care reform would never have been an issue if it wasn't needed by the majority. Many doctors wanted this to pass also.

March 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bob

The Democrates spend the taxpayers money on questionable programs designed to help the poor, the Republicans waste taxpayer money on givaways to the rich, big business and special interests. I guess I would rather have to money going to programs to help the poor as opposed to giving it away to someone who already has way more than they need. I wonder how Jesus would vote, according to the Republicans he would be on the side of the Rich. Like it says in the Bible 'Jesus then grabbed a handful of gold coins, held them over his head and said to his followers "Screw the Poor"'

March 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. questionauthority

I have heard a lot from my Republican friends how they are against this healthcare legislation. Do any of the Republican readers out there want to share what they are in favor of? Propose an alternative. I am open to hearing your idea.

March 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert

Congressman Neugebauer should resign immediately and be removed from office for making the comment. His comments are strictly personal, and do not represent his districts viewpoints at all. His is in office to SERVE the p[public, not to bring Washington is her personal options and emotions.

March 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack

I agree with the health care reform bill. I applaud that it is happening in my lifetime. It's called progress and it's about time! I now wish that all those opposed to socialist health care would stop driving on the socialist highway and road system so that my commute would be shorter.

March 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pam

How can these republicans say the american people have not been heard. I am an american citizen and I say finally someone in Washington has heard us. I'm tired of insurance companys charging what they feel like. BCBS raised my rate 25% this yr I have never received a 25% raise. Take insurance coverage away from the house and senate and lets see how fast these people change their minds about reform.

March 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. krehator

Since when do we care if the insurance companies go bankrupt? Why? If keeping rich greedy con artists wealthy is important to our representation, I wonder how important the people are.

I'm fine with someone not agreeing with nationalized healthcare but puuuhlease don't attempt to throw a pity party of insurance companies. They are not throwing one for the Americans people. They would sell your children as a trade for premiums if they could.

March 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Hopefully the only thing historic about this bill will be the sheer number of democrats who lose their seats in November!

March 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CA CFO

Republicans are the party of greed.
    Democrats are the party of need.
    I would much rather give to the needy
    than enrich the greedy.

March 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Eric

I live with HIV and am relieved that from now on I can not be denied health care due to my condition. That means I can live a longer healthier life and stay on my medication that not only keeps me well but makes me far less contagious.
    By removing the barriers to health care everyone will benefit. People who were afraid of their provider finding out about their status will now be able to seek treatment without fear of consequence.
    If everyone who lives HIV with could afford medication there would be less new infections and in the long run that means lives, communities, and money saved.

March 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lewis Wemett

The GOP haters are in full force...they use fear and are all paid off by the insurers...COngrats to President Obama...Change is here for Americans...The tea baggers and haters on the right can move to another country if they don't like it...They are not good Americans,,,,

March 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |