March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Greg

I simply do not understand peole who protest against this bill. America is the last industrialized nation in the world without public healthcare. Nobody should die because they're poor. That is what it comes down to. Don't understand people who think that's a bad thing.

March 22, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Becky

We aren't poor, but between my husband's heart disease (he had a triple bypass last year) and my multiple medical issues (I had kidney cancer last year, asthma, hypertension, bipolar), we spend over 18,000 out of pocket for our medical care, and that's WITH insurance! That amounts to just about half of our household income. What's left for us to live on is actually LESS than the cap a family of three can earn before qualifying for foodstams. Needless to say, we are barely getting by. Probably, if I quit my job, our income would sink low enough for us to qualify for medicaid. Sad to think that there is an incentive to NOT work in order to get affordable medical care. I know that our insurance company would LOVE to drop us but can't as we have a group plan.

This healthcare bill won't solve all the problems with the system, but it's a start., We'd difinitely benefit with some help paying out premiums. And having a deductible lower than $6000 would help, too. I'm so tired of pinching pennies and eating hamburger and driving 20 year old vehicles because we are sick. We are drowingi in debt while our friends who make about the same as us are doing MUCH better financially because they have good health (so far). Somehow that doesn't sound fair.

March 22, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lazlo

It's change, yes. It's controversial, yes. Put it into play and see how it works, modify it if need be. But if it works, then another Congress tries to take it away, there will surely be hell to pay.

March 22, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adnan Ahmad

Great victory for this Country! Congrats! Let all who dislike this bill, dont sign up.....unless ...you loose your job or come across a condition that will require you to get into the health insurance program. Then quietly you will signup and not say a word...

March 22, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Sorry to burst your bubble there folks...but there will never again be enough Republicans in Congress to repeal this. In a year or two when the American people realize how good this reform is for the country and how deceitful tne Republicans have been..its lights out for the party forever.

March 22, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mark

This sour grapes attitude by the GOP is a disgrace. Throughout this entire debate the Republicans have been nothing but rude, hostile, brash and obstructionist. It is sad to see how deeply in the pockets of the insurance lobby the GOP is. They have lied without end (death panels, etc) and in doing so they have only branded themselves as the party of lies...again.

March 22, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Patricia

This bill is not just about insurance,it's sad people aren't smart enough to know that. They just want something for free. Guess what? It's not free. This bill will cost everyone so much more. This is putting the government in control of our lives AND our deaths. They will be able to kill off older people legally. There is so much more in that horrible bill that has nothing to do with insurance. Guess you will all find out soon enough. I say IMPEACH obama,pelosi, reid and everyone else that came up with this plan. There SHOULD be a reform but not this one.

March 22, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cheryl Norwood

The Republicans have long been known to represent those who have everything they need and don't care about those who do not. Never has it been this evident as now. I have two sisters whose bodies have been ravaged by Lupus. One finally got disability after racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical bills. The other one is now applying. Neither were able to find any company with a good consumer rating to insure them. The only companies that would do it charged more than they could afford and/or they had terrible consumer reports filed against them. I have another sister with congenital heart issues that was laid off and unable to find insurance to cover her after her COBRA ran out. She finally found a company but when she died, the company reneged on its promise to pay her final hospital bill. It's a mess. Maybe this new plan isn"t perfect but I read the Republican plan and nothing in it would have helped people like my sisters.

The working poor and middle class are ignored by BOTH parties. No one care, no one represents us, but at least this latest effort might offer some hope. That's more than the Republican offer to folks like us.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. John

I have been working in healthcare for 15 years and yes we need reform. You would be appalled at how some doctors abuse the system which you end up paying for! Its not a perfect bill and the secercy by the Democrats is sickening at best but changed has to come sooner rather than later. I have decent insurance and my wife and I are having our second child this year. This will cost us $4,000.00 after the insurance has paid its part. Now we can afford to pay that but a lot of people can't. I can't stand the hatred or the claims of fear that people use. It will be a rough start but I say one of the biggest things holding back small business is Health Ins.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. Don

The republican fight over health care reform is reduced to call racial and sexual orientation slurs, spitting one peoplea and calling othere baby killers. How proud they must be. If this represents the American people we are all in trouble.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

Thank God congress finally did something that will actually improve the lives of the American people. It´s not a complete program by any stretch, but a big step in the right direction.

Obama and the Democrats get big kudos for intense tenacity in the face of the Republican determination to make nothing happen.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. greg

What's with these politicians lecturing us about the "will of the American people?" I am a member of the American people, and these pontificators don't know my will, until now. I am grateful that heathcare reform has been finally adopted. For the greatest(?) nation to fail to give all citizens the opportunity to have access to healthcare, shame on us. I read these doomsdayers' comments, and I recall the same comments being bantered about for social security and medicare, which by the way most of the doomsdayers will be taking advantage of very shortly. Change is always difficult for folks. By the way, I pay for excellent health care; and I pay dearly; but, I feel for those who do not have the financial means to join the party. Now they do; thanks to our persistent and visionary President.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mark L

I love this "will of the people" argument from the Republicans. If we went by the "will of the people", Bush should have withdrawn from Iraq. Then the Republicans were all about "staying the course" and "doing what's right even if it is unpopular". Incredible hypocrisy.

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Patricia

GO VIRGINIA!!!! Come on other states, let's go with them!!

March 22, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. Eric Sohn

The GOP argument against being forced into buying health insurance being such a terrible thing conveniently ignores one fact: the uninsured do receive health care, at OUR expense. I heard a 25-year old with no insurance on CSPAN last night, who didn't have health insurance because he felt he was healthy. If he were maimed in a car crash tomorrow, or caught the latest H1N1-type virus, he would pay out of pocket or, as is more likely, it would be provided for free to him – with the insured picking up the cost. If you were to deny the uninsured any health care they couldn't pay for themselves, well, then I wouldn't be so dismissive of Republican arguments. But, it's estimated that $1100 of each of our health insurance premiums is a direct consequence of covering the uninsured.

One more point: the lack of compassion for 47 million uninsured, most of which are not uninsured by choice, is appalling. We send aid to places with natural disasters, but keeping our own citizens healthy is inappropriate?

One last point: yes, the bill costs $940 billion. But it reduces the deficit. That means that it brings in more savings than it lays out in costs. So, the NET cost is actually a net profit for the government. Yes, it means taxes get raised – my family makes a good living and we'll be happy to pay more to fix health care. In return, all I ask is that Aetna stops jacking up my rates at many, many times the rate of inflation each year. I don't want much, really

March 22, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |