March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. useyourhead

In one year, the Dems have begun to give every American the right to basic health coverage, and in the 8 years leading up, all Republicans did was search in vane for "weapons of mass destruction".

Saving lives through affordable healthcare... or ending lives through fruitless searching? I couldn't be happier with the NEW direction my country is taking.

March 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dorothy

If these comments are a representation of how people feel about health care reform, then it should be the Republicans that should be worried about the November mid-term elections. No matter how hard the Republicans try to put the wealthy first, it's the average American that finally one this one! Thank you to those who voted yes – I don't care if my insurance premiums go up as long as it goes to the needy and uninsured rather than to the fat insurance companies. I worked in insurance many years ago and I will never forget how they prided themselves in avoiding pay-outs. Democratic congressman – you should be proud of your "yes" vote.

March 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill Ezpeleta

The insurance companies and drug companies own the Republican Party – that explains why the republicans want to kill this bill. Furthermore, they are angry because their president could not bring about this reform... given the chance and proper leadership, which they lack, they would like to introduce the same reform... It is imperative that we limit congress to 2 terms – it's also imperative that we do away with party affiliation – it has become the virus within our government which prevents advancement on any front. We should be able to take away insurance coverage from those who voted NO on this bill and let them go on their own and try to survive on what WE have to put up with. Frankly, the answer is quite simple... (a) Either give every citizen the Insurance coverage they have in congress or (b) Give congress the Insurance coverage the average citizen has to get. I'll bet they would work together then...

March 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

Complaining that we will now be paying for other's insurance through our taxes seems to be a comon complaint. What do you think insurance companies do? You pay for others' care through your astronomical premiums, others who may be very much more unhealthy than you. The only difference in the twop systems is that with a government system you remove the profit motive.

March 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. steve

Does everyone think that with the passage of this reform everything is going to be free? You will still have to pay premiums (They will probably go up) Insurance carriers can freeze old plans and put in new ones with no maximum out of pocket protection, no co-pays, Just plain old deductible co-insurance so cost share will still be there. The drug co-pays will probable go away and go to co-insurance with no cap. If you and your house representatives READ the bill there is nothing that says I"M FREE. This will still cost you a significant portion of your budget until we get HEALTH CARE costs down,

March 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

I love all the congrats to Obama... Like he is some driving independent force. He is a product of the Democratic machine and he sold out his "vision" to pass a water-down bill, hopefully make Republican look bad a win another election. If you think Obama cares about you, get real. All he cares about winning elections... which should be obvious considering his entire time as a senator was spent campaigning for the presidency and so far his entire presidency seems to be politicking for term number 2. Populist demagogue, plain and simple... And to those clueless American's who think "Populist demagogue" means he cares for you, it doesn't. All it means is that he uses the emotions and fears of the public to win election, regardless of his actual views.

March 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack

Shame on Neugebauer. It's too bad he represents anyone!

March 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. KennyK

When you start seeing all of the benefits in this bill (like covering children, no pre-existing conditions,no life-time cap, etc) I completely agree we should implement them. The worrying part is cost. 32 million more people insured, tax breaks to businesses, tax breaks to middle and low income families....and deficit reducing? Does that sound right to any of you? Nothing is free so somebody has to pay for it.

One way the gov't plans to pay for it is 'saving $500B in Medicare'. If $500B could easily be saved why wasn't it done already? Is the government basically admitting they let the program get out of control and didn't think it was important to fix it until they found another program to spend that money on? If this was a private company they would have cut that $500B out, passed along $250B to the consumer for a competative advantage and get the rest for themselves. Isn't $250B back to us better than nothing? Do any of you believe the same problems plaguing all other gov't programs won't infect this one?

I am for these programs, I just don't want the government to run them!

March 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dan

Take any rabid anti-health reform republican, say Senator Ryan from Minnesota. Take away his job, savings, equity. Give him a pre-existing condition such as diabetes. Let him then try to purchase private insurance. Without the new health bill, he will be forced to get treatment in the emergency room whenever he goes into a coma or he goes blind or a leg goes necrotic. He will die. I challenge each and every republican to cancel their public health insurance – I guarantee they will not because they are quite satisfied with it. Why shouldn't the American people similarly have the option of choosing public health insurance. Oh, the hypocrisy.

March 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ThatWasEasy

Sorry Reese, that was uncalled for. You may be right. I worked for an unemployent office for a while and I saw many of those who took advantage of the system. More were just stuck and most got help and that were needing assistance and were there only briefly. That's a whole other story. But do not forget we have the Enron and Madoff's that do more damage than a few of the lazy good for nothings. Fraud in medicare and tax evaders are more damaging than the free loaders.

March 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jrc6

Forget about the politics. Passing this bill is a great opportunity for us as American's to help those in need. This bill will cover more than 35 million people. It is about compassion, empathy, charity, peace, love, and hope. We have to remember the important things in our lives. Politics blocks the important ideas and concepts.

March 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dale

I believe all americans need health care. But not like this we are not a socialist nation. Does anyone know how many earmarks were added to this bill to get the demoracts on board? I am glad the republicans from Georgia voted NO......

March 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Kelly

I WOULD STAND RIGHT UP TO STUPAK'S HYPOCRITICAL FACE AND SAY "YOU ARE A BABY KILLER"
    The problem with the Democrats and the liberal bias media is that they can face the truth. When it was blurted out during the State of the Union, "You lie" it was the truth. Barrack just can't handle the truth. The same goes for Stupak, what was stated was a FACT! The only good thing about abortions is that next Nov. Stupak is going to experience one.

March 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

When I was 7 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor that is inoperatible. Oh and I Was diagnosed with kidney disease and heart disease and indigestion and........ I can go on and on and so can everyone else. As I am sure there are those out there with these conditions I am also sure there are hospitals and doctors who will take care of these for reduced or free. St Judes is one of them. Bottom line folks is this is socialism pure and simple. Take what others have and distribute it to those who don't and don't have the moral fiber to go get it. In life sometimes you have to sacrifice to get yourself a head of the game. Why should my tax dollars have to pay for some 18-25 year old kid who can go to work, save their money and buy their own health insurance in stead of going to Walmart or Bestbuy and spend $60 on a video game? Why should I roll over and let the government dictate to me that I have to have insurance wether I want it or not? Grant it there are always exceptions and I have no problem with providing health care for those who are in desperate need. And I mean with life threatening reasons not because of lazyness or because "I can't get a job because there are no jobs out there". If you truely wanted to work there are jobs just lower your standards and provider for yourself instead of sucking off the hard working people of America.

March 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jason

I was surprised to hear all the vitriol spouted by opponents of this reform. The Republican minority claims that Congress isn’t listening to the American people. If that’s true, they can vote appropriately in November. The Democrats seem to think that tort reform and allowing insurance to be sold across state lines is a bridge too far, and that everyone is entitled to healthcare as a “basic human right” (whatever that means). Everyone knows that taxes will go up as a result of this. Taxes were going to increase no matter what happened with healthcare. We have an aging baby boom generation that will soon incur some serious health expenses, and they are all going to live to be 90 despite using lots of drugs in the ‘60s before I was born. I’m a perfectly healthy 32 year old male with health insurance, and I don’t give a penny to charity, but I’m happy to pay taxes if I think they will be spent to help pay for medical treatment for my fellow citizens instead of on earthquake victims in another country, or people living in a backward landlocked nation that harbors terrorists, or on military weapons systems that we give to Israel, Egypt, and Jordan. I don’t want my money to pay for abortion, or male sexual performance enhancement drugs, or female breast enhancement, although I’m willing to compromise on the latter if I get to see the results. Maybe if I had something to lose from this healthcare reform I might be more emotional about it, but it seems to me that the far right is fanatical about preventing illegal aliens and bums from getting free healthcare (which emergency rooms provide everyday anyway) and the far left wants to help everyone whether they’re employed, unemployed, young, old, and so forth no matter what the cost. People are freaking out about death panels, rationing, people dying (last time I checked this one is inevitable), calling each other names, picketing, saying they are going to “take back the nation”. Am I the only sane person who is paying attention to this stuff? As long as President Obama doesn’t require me to give up one of my kidneys to a random stranger, I feel my individual liberty is still intact.

March 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |