March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Steven Michaels

I'm sick and tired about hearing the same Republican Teabaggers ignorant and obstructionist views on the news and on television. We never hear regular, everyday people, only the loud ones! I want any healthcare reform - any subsidies, any new rules and regulations saying they can't boot me when I become too expensive or too old - I'm sick and tired of the same ol' crap! I will be sending my dollars to Democrats to make sure they know I support healthcare reform - not the insurance companies finding every way to make a buck.

March 22, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Small Business Owner from Texas

When did it become an employers responsiblility to pay for health insurance? A long, long time ago, big business did it to be nice and retain excellent employees- great. I think that's nice...but now the government is using that as a way to get out of paying for this. Small businesses CANNOT afford this. What's next? Are we going to have to pay for everyone's car insurance? Home owner's insurance?

I am all in for insurance reform, and I think everyone should buy there own. If you want to have the minimum required, great- if not, buy the deluxe package...just like in all other kinds of insurance there are different levels.

Here's an idea- send proof of insurance in once per year with your taxes. Or, for those less responsible, take money directly out of their check and have a government inusurance account for them. If you show up at the doctor without it- tough, no service. If you show up at the ER without it- wait at the end of the line and see a nurse in training. Let's reward the hard working responsible people and if your lazy- that's your own fault. Survival of the fitest people- deal with it.

Here's a great idea, instead of the 8% or $750.00 per employee coming out of the employers check book, how about we deduct it from the employees check and they pay for it themselves. I don't mind doing the paperwork- I just don't think I should pay for it. I'm already giving people jobs and putting food on their families tables- do I have to hold their hand to cross the street? Do I have to make sure they pay the electric bill? This is stupid- if you want to make it in this world- you have to look out for yourself and do the work, so get to it. Work hard, spend less, save more, and spend more time for your family.

March 22, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hdiaz

My right eye is dying from diabetes! I'm on 11 different medications! I can barely afford to fill my prescriptions every month! I was denied a a liquid antibiotic several years ago, because the insurance company said that it was too expensive...my doctor said that it would help to protect my heart and lungs from infection. I needed that medicine, but I couldn't get it. I pay for my insurance premiums through my job and its very expensive. I had to downgrade my insurance coverage 2 years ago, so that I could still afford medical insurance and get my medicine. I'm 48 years old with children in my household who depend on me to keep on living!!! Should I die now? Will you take care of my children? NO! NO! Let me have affordable health care, so that I can keep on living for as long as I can to take care of my own children. You walk a mile in another man's shoes, before you go saying that health care did not need to be reformed! Yet, the majority of you that did not want the reform call yourselves CHRISTIANS! What does that mean, when you are so willing to watch fellow human beings die. OH, it does touch you! Right, maybe not now...but it will. Stop this madness! If we can afford to kill humans in other countries, we can afford to save human lives right here in ours! Hateful sinners!

March 22, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Carlond

I hear so much hate in most of these comments. When will the Americans who are selfish (already have healthcare) and priviledged STOP!

March 22, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Charles

When our government listens to the voice of one instead of the voices of many, it ceases to be "our" government.

March 22, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

All of you with your armagendon and doomsday predictions need to promise that if the world does not end as you claim, if no one comes to kill your grandmother, then you all promise to go away. Hannity, limbaugh.Bech, and Boner put up or shut up. If you are so sure of disaster then lets see you show it. When you are wrong. will you go away quietly?

March 22, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dave Brantley

I am an RN manager. I see people denied coverage and care by insurance companies against their doctors wishes daily. The only freedom being lost here is the freedom to pay for elaborate TV commercials. I do the paperwork for Medicare ptaients and private insurance patients and the latter group has the greater volume of paperwork contrary to popular opinion. This is not the final answer, but it is a great first step. Paying out of public funds for people to receive primary care services in the ER is not cost effective and lowers the quality of everybody's care.

March 22, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. VET

Now everyone will have affordable health care. Why are Republican Congress personnel telling so many lies? They have health care. Why do thy not want everyone else to have health care? They have controlled Congress for the last 10 years and haven't done anything to correct the problem. Why are they so against it now? CNN please do an article and expose all the Republicians who were in Congress 10 years ago and did nothing, voted for the Iraq war (no WMD) and who voted against health care. How much money did they get from the hospitals and insurance companies? They are millionaires and are getting kickbacks. The Governor(R) of Georgia is cutting medical funds in many rural areas and cutiting education funds. Don't hurt Georgians because you don't want to support the President's worththy cause. It somewhat confirms the theory that there was political involvement when Atlanta area was the only city in the world that did not have auto fuel the last weeks of voter registration. The FBI needs to investigate.

March 22, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lydia Negron

Thankfully the passage of this bill will help the more than 32,000,000 American citizens. And hopefully, ALL Americans will be covered.

My husband and I have been fortunate enough all our lives to have worked in industries that have provided health insurance for their employees. Were it not, we would have been part of the 47,000,000 without health insurance and in danger of losing our home after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

I've never understood what the opposition is for some against providing health coverage for all. So many profess to be religious, Christian or community civic minded, yet find it impossible to share in their bounty or allow others the opportunity to do so.

It may not be the perfect bill and it may not do enough but it's a start.

Think of it. If our forefathers hadn't agreed to the Constitution in its form in 1787, we would probably have stayed a colony. Yet our Constitution includes 27 amendments. Meaning that as a nation, we have realized the original document still needed work. It's ever changing. I believe the framers knew that and in their wisdom, it has been improved.

Likewise with the health care reform bill, it will be an ever changing document. It will need tweaking for years to come.

It is my sincere wish that the ones who cannot understand or see the benefits will one day agree what took them so long.

March 22, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alarti0001

The bill isn't terrible the main reason the repubs fought it so hard was so they could try to take back power in the Congress and the White House...they took a gamble....and lost......just like wall street

March 22, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Judy

This is for the best in the long run as we have to begin somewhere and if other
    countries can do this we as American's should be able to have health care for all..
    Yes we can change and it is time..

March 22, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Travis Y

I am proud that we finally did the right thing. Most people wanted all the banks to fail and Wall Street to collapse but not these Healthcare criminals. Look people when Migrane headache pills are costing $19 per pill then we are headed for healthcare collapse. If a Congressman is against this then he is a complete moron and/or paid for by the companies we are cranking down on. I wish this was more of a talking point than the new customers these companies are getting ( 32 Million ). Now soldiers returning home can get care and not roam the streets homeless because they can't get treatment. I fought for this country and I am glad this country is fighting for me. Just take a look at the officials who are still being sore losers and FoxNews screamers and think about how much money they have gotten from and are still getting from drug companies. We are done being scared and are tired of these anti-American, anti-working class, RICH politicians and there WEALTHY drug company providers. They want to bankrupt America, then we will bankrupt them.

March 22, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. Alex

It's interesting how the people condemning this appear – without exception – to be people with no stated health problems, while a lot of the people who do are replying that this is all but saving their lives or their loved ones' lives. The phrase "walk a mile in my shoes" is something the Republicans should be thinking about.

March 22, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Greg Dillon

Some What Confused – The Bill is Passed and Now What? Well the Republicans are calling for the People to Hold Democrats Responsible and calling for the People to remember this in the Next VOTE?? Well, what about this, Most Republicans have been in office for YEARS – SEVERAL TERMS and had every opportunity to do what the Democrats did last night.

I think the American People should remember this in the NEXT VOTE…… The days of enjoying the Perks of Holding an Office that suppose to Represent the People are OVER…. You Failed us and we the people should hold you 100% Accountable PERIOD.

Take your other hand and use the same finger on that hand and point it back at you, the Democrats are not the only blame here. They simply out smarted you on this bill and you should learn a HARD LESSON here. Now, you are in a position that in my opinion FAILED the people that you represent…….

So, the ones that have been enjoying the LIFE the PERKS this may come to abrupt end for you in the Next Election….. So, Republicans you need to come up with a GOOD Strategy to convince the People you Represent why you did not out smart the system when you had the many opportunities in the past –

If you think getting on Stage of TV and pointing your finger to the other side is the answer – Then you are putting your JOB at RISK…. PERIOD…..

March 22, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sarah

I don't think the Republicans are against health care for children nor do they want to deny people coverage with pre-existing problems.This legislation is not the best way to solve the problems.Limiting the exorbitant awards for malpractice suits and eliminating that antitrust exemption would be just about all we'd need to do along with reasonable oversight. Insurance companies need to be restrained. This bill doesnt include any incentive for people to take better care of themselves, it just encourages them to have the government to take care of them. Our biggest health care costs come from smokers and obesity.THis bill doesn't touch that.

March 22, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |