March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Living in America

GO OBAMA GO. I am glad to finally have a President that works hard for the average American. I bet other nations are laughing at the way that the Republicans are acting. John McCain grow up. Had it failed you will be drinking some of your wife's beer from her company. You acting as if someone had stole your pony. It is funny because you thought when the Democrats lost Kenendy seat it wouldn't have a chance to survive. As i the words of Gomer Pyle. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

March 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. simone

I am rooted in a belief of what is right and wrong and both of these things happen on both sides of the isle. I a very disappointed in the Republican Party for having no courage to stand as individuals. And I am glad, even though I am a health care reform supporter, that some democrats that did not support this did not just check the yes box for whatever reason. But to have no a single republican vote for this bill is atrocity. Do all of you really believe that we should leave millions upon millions un-insured and do nothing? Do you really thing that health care that is good enough for each of you is not good enough for me as an American. You do all really believe that I as a working American who may possibly loose my job one day will not have heath care because I have a heart condition. I can not believe this and fell I had to let the Republican party know exactly how I feel and since you are one of my senator I feel I should like you know how both my vote and my strong power of persuasion of my piers will not through support to any candidate I feel is not doing what they would want done for there self’s. Stop being a candidate and be a public servant as you promised when elected.

March 22, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Edward Meisenbach

Two questions: First, given a 7-8 year stint in medical school, where are the doctors coming from that are going to treat an additional 32 million people?

Second, as a military retiree, I had already had my health and dental benefits reduced from free after twenty years of servce when I started my service in 1965 to Tricare when I retired from service in 1992 to "________________" in 2010?

March 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dominique

Does this bill help people with hospital bills? Or past health care debt? Im insured now but my insurance wont cover my past health care debt which is $5k.

March 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike W

Is this the right thing to do? May I ask a simple question? Is food not more of a necessity then health care? What about the Internet? Cars? Housing? Clothes? When does it end?

*sigh*

I feel sorry for those in this type of situation. My family was without Health care for the longest time and my Father was refused insurance because of a heart issue. You know what he did? He worked his butt off for this family, put me through private school and made me who I am today. He died when I was nine years old. I am thankful for what we have today and how I accomplished so much without very much need.

March 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Taz

b.arnold
    Yes, you will be able to keep tricare, but it will soon be so expensive that you will no longer be able to afford it.
    That's a slap in the face to all us veterans who served this country for our entire adult life and were told we would always have benifits for ourselves and our families. Even the communist take matter care of its warriors.

March 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John Doughtie

I wonder if people will still be applauding, when on the government healthcare, when they cant find a doctor to see them and when they do, they are put on a list for just a simple checkup. Or even better, they do become truly sick, they file for a private company insurance, and that company pays only 2% of the bills still leaving the patient with a large fee. This bill did not fix anything, except give small businesses a reason to NOT hire people and many of the politicians and their fiends on Wall Street another reason to hide their money.

March 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bexum

I expect the lies and rhetoric from the politicians but it is amazing to me the hate the uncaring, the plan down right I am for me and screw anyone else replies I hear on some of these sites whatever happen to caring Americans? What spawned all these hateful uncaring people? If you don`t like the bill because of the cost I respect this but do not want to kill or repeal the bill just because it provides help for others and stops the isurance companies from doing their dirt to Americans. I have insurance but i am sick of them raising my premiums every year and giving me less coverage.I have waited for many years for the insurance companies and the so called free market to do the right thing and they never did and now this is the result of that.I am an Independant and the Republicans were in power for 8 years and did NOTHING to get my premiums lowered and better coverage.I don`t like the cost ether but i am sick up to my you know of hearing you people whine because it passed where were you at protesting and whining all the years they(insurance) were let to run amuck and do what they damn well please?

March 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom - Maryland

For those with truly heart-breaking stories, understand that opposition to this bill does not mean opposition to help. The adage that doing something is better than nothing is not true when it comes to this bill. The issue isn't do we need health care reform – we do – the question is how? Hainv the government pay for it won't make the cost less, it will make the quality lower and availability scarce. The issue of how to slow the costs of health care are completely missed in this bill. All it does is create another massive entitlement program when the ones we already have are headed for bankruptcy in just a few years. If you think you feel bad about your current situation, think about your children and grandchildren to whom this horrific debt is going to be handed.

March 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Crissie

One hundred years and who knows how many deaths later, and finally the most advanced nation on earth sees fit to protect the health of its children. And the arguments we read about here are taxes, money, taxes, money, taxes, money ... oh, yeah, and socialism. I want Henry Miller and others on this post to write EXACTLY their analysis of why it's just too darned bad if kids and their parents live in constant pain or die. THEN you can talk about the money. What kind of people are we?

March 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bryn Brown

I sat and watched the entire process yesterday, I was so excited that this country now is giving it's citizens the right to have health coverage. It makes me sick to my stomach that republicans are acting this way because this was passed by a president they do not like. It has nothing to do with the bill it has to do with the fact that Obama made history and that angers them and many other people who can not get over the fact that he is black.

Millions of Americans can now go to the doctor, hospital and not worry about being denied coverage. Millions of woman do not have to worry about being a pre-existing condition. I wish that the hatered and lies would stop and this country could embrace what just happened and move forward on other issues to make us an even better country.

March 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Maria Hinojosa

Are people (both Democrats and Republicans) against this bill because of taxes? So the almighty dollar is still at the root of NOT wanting to help so many people that don't have insurance? G-R-E-E-D has brought the U.S. to where we are now, will they never learn? It's so sad and frustrating to know that our tax representatives, that we elected, care more about "what's in it for me" instead of what's in it for America? Henry Miller, above, doesn't want to pay more taxes to help someone in need, but is willing to give thousands to the Republican Party. Is that the christian thing to do? And he's not alone, there are others like him that are doing the same thing too. I am ashamed and saddened of my brothers and sisters, this world will never change because of greed.

March 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ann

I cannot believe the stink the republican party has made over this bill. From the beginning of Obama's candidacy, healthcare reform was a primary topic. The American people voted him in. The American people voted in all of the Democratic officials in place. Therefore, how can anyone question the American people's view on the bill? The Republican party needs to stop acting like a bunch of spoiled brats and learn about what the American people really want, instead of trying to sway decisions by way of nasty mudslinging and rumors. Finally, we have a President who is FOR THE PEOPLE! Thank God, the healthcare reform bill passed yesterday's vote. Healthcare should not be a perk for the wealthy. It should be a basic human right.

March 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel

Mike W wrote "my Father was refused insurance because of a heart issue. You know what he did? He worked his butt off for this family, put me through private school and made me who I am today. He died when I was nine years old."

The sad part of your story is that you cannot see that if your father had not been refused health insurance, he would still have worked his butt off for you.

The difference is that with health insurance, the price of your success might not have been your father's life.

Would you not have preferred to have your father with you to enjoy the fruits of his labor?

March 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Terri

Sadly, most of the people against the bill have no clue what the bill is about. Instead of educating themselves, they are hearing bits of information from angry, self-centered Republicans. I recently spoke with a passionate person who opposed the Healthcare bill. When asked what concerned him about the bill, he could not explain. What does it say about US as Americans when we are so willing to jump on a Crazy "bandwagon" without fully understanding the issue? Do the Republicans purposely rally the most ignorant, angry, and crooked people? Hmmmm, I wonder why?

March 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |