March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Megan Jacobs

My daughter is five, and has Biliary Atresia. She is now covered on my insurance through work, but I am now glad that she will not have to worry about stressing about finding work just to have full coverage. She will now be able to, when she is older, to go to college, and graduate, and follow her dreams. She will not have to think about taking any job to obtain insurance because no private company will insure her instead of following her dreams and life goals. How long has health care been debated about? I am 26, and Ted Kennedy is smiling in Heavan right now because his life's mission is coming closer to reality. He was in office for decades, and this problem will not being partly handled until 03-23-10. This is ridiculous. Give Americans a chance to live. You want to be pro life, then please think about the people who are dying because they afford health care, or companies are giving them a chance of life. How pro life is that?

March 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. calvin

Reform is good.But the 6 months before it takes effect is going to kill.Look at what the credit card company's did during the time of the bill passing and when it took effect.They gouged,reduced limits and raised rates just because they can.What the insurance company's and doctors office do with that time.Is there anything in this bill that will reduce the cost the doctor's charge you for an asprin. When people had jobs, they had health insurance.

March 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tstrong

This Bill is good, not perfect, but what is? Finally the US joins forces with other first world countries (what took you so long) and will provide healthcare to their people without the people having to take out a loan. Being CDN (and legal) and seeing both sides of the heathcare.....I would rather keep my $8,000.00 a year that I now have to pay in my own household. It is really cheaper for me to fly to CDN, see a doctor, buy a precription and fly back to the US. As far a socialism.....there are already so many programs the Fed. Governent supports...whats one more?

Next Step: Universal Health Care!!

March 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michele

There are parts of this bill that I'm not happy with but overall it will help millions. I guess most people don't realize that, if they have health insurance they are paying for those who don't. Rates charged to helath insurance companies are inflated by hospitals and doctors because someone has to pay for the uninsured. Until recently I paid for my health insurance thru Blue Cross. Every year they raised my premium. Not because I used the insurance or have any medical conditions...just because I was a year older. The last increase was 40% because I'm over 50 and my demographic gets sick more often. It had nothing to do with me or my health. Since the insurance industry couldn't figure out how to play nice our government is going to have to show them how.

March 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joel Enamorado

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 19 years old. There is no cure. I am now 31 years old. Two years ago I quit my hourly pay job to start into the trucking business it was a real hard decision for me because if I were to quit my poor paying job, would mean that I would loose my health insurance. Since I was going to be self-employed, no health insurance was going to take me know my pre-existing condition. But I was force to quit because the money was not getting me no where. So now two years later my Cobra health insurance ended and I was force to start paying my own doctor visits and medicines which if i were to continue like this would end up completely backrupt. For the first time in my life Im going to have the chance to buy my own health insurance and get the medical attention that i need.

March 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mindy

Yep, and as much as I dislike the self-righteous authoritarians of the modern-day Republican Party, I'm going to be sending lots and lots of money to them over the next eight months–no matter how many thousands of dollars that may be, it will still be cheaper than being taxed to death by the thieves of the Democratic Party.

Wow...you have enough cash lying around to send "lots and lots of money to the Republicans...no matter how many thousands of dollars that may be" because of a bill that was passed that you don't agree with. If you have so many thousands of dollars to spare are you really being taxed to death Henry?

March 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mick

I can't wait to see how many of these republicans go on to be the CEOs of health insurance companies. They are merely the mouthpiece through which those companies talk, and not the American people. The name plates that sit in front of them that read "Ohio" "Tennessee" "North Carolina" should be replaced with name plates that read "Cigna" "United" "Humana." They can't stop opposing this bill because their contributors would stop paying them hundreds of thousands.

March 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Donnajean

I am a nurse and I work with our recovering service members on a daily basis who come back from war injured/ill, do you know that when one of our tropps come back especially those that are national Guard or reservist that if they sustain an injury while deployed and have to face a medical evaluation board and they do not get the 30% needed to medically retire them if there private insurance don't continue to carry them it is very difficult to find coverage that will pick up on their pre-exisiting condition. The republicans say let the state provide their own solution well i wish they were in my office listeneing to the horror stories from our troops on how they are treated when they return. How as Americans can we stand ideally by knowing that we have our own troops plus all the other men, women and children that donot have health insurance. My husband is retired we have Tri-Care, which is a good gov't plan, I am willing to do what it takes to help those that are less fortunate, I pray for you people who are so cold hearted and self righteous. I am proud of my President for passing health care reform, it is about time? God will bless you President Obama!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marylin Copeland, MSW

I work with people who have sustained brain injuries. I can't even begin to tell you how many I have seen who are unable to access needed care because of the lack of health insurance. Having siezures and need to be followed by a neurologist and take medication to control the seizures? Forget it! Need speech or physical therapy to regain lost skills? Forget it!Every 23 seconds in this country someone sustains a brain injury. Brain injury is no respecter of age, sex,race or social status, etc. It could be a member of your family or mine. Vulnerable , injured and sick people deserve care. To do less places the United States in a third world status among nations of the world. Congratulations to the Democratic majority for bravely taking this critical step.

March 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Daniel

"where are the doctors coming from that are going to treat an additional 32 million people?"

Do you people honestly believe this bill is somehow going to create 32 million people out of thin air, or something?

These people already exist!

They just didn't get medical care now. They suffered and died instead of seeing a doctor, or they languished in overcrowded waiting rooms that cost you, the taxpayer, 4 to 5 times as much per visit than seeing a GP would have.

The difference is that now America joins the rest of the civilized world in realizing that the poor still exist, and deserve the same human decency as the rich, who just happened to be on the side of good luck where wealth is concerned.

March 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brian

So foolindeed1, is it socialism if you are required by law to have car insurance?

March 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. O. Geoffrion

Welcome America, to the heath care standards of all other developed countries of the world! It's time for the naysayers to stop the gloom and doom scenarios and get behind the President's health care bill, which was long overdue and will only benefit the American people in the long run.

March 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andacar

Rory McNeill, I'm right there with you. I've had to have both my kidneys removed because of PKD. Dialysis, pain, nausea, you're right: this is no way to live. I Hope and pray the new legislation makes life a little easier.

March 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ray

The republicans are always against social change. Any major social legislation that has been passed in the last 100 years, the republicans are against. Ask yourself, why is that? It wasn't until my late 20s that I realized that republicans, and specifically the hard core conservatives, care only about themselves and the impact policy has on their own needs, whereas liberals are willing to make personal sacrifices for the common good.

There are exceptions in either direction, but to me this is the fundamental difference between the two and it's reflected in the arguments for and against this legislation.

March 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rod

As far as congress is concerned I don't think the tax thing is the issue. I think congress wanted to squash this bill because ti is one of Obama's shining moments and they don't want him to succeed. They as much as said so. Now, as far as you that have posted here that you don't want to pay any moore taxes–you remind me of the protesters denigrating the man with Parkinson's on TV over the weekend. As long as you have your's you don't care about anybody else. I will gladley pay a few more dollars in tax so more people can have access to healthcare.

March 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |