March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. pham nancy

when i.m see the pace ofthe lady stand besi obama i saw the evil .and the dem who tell he will vote ,yes, his mother has cance same on him don,t put your mom tn your bad thing he want take side with evil .allthey have money free .look like comunis party.
    they want allthe chidren will be fool ......

March 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Richard Pressinger

Last year my wife had a $20,000 bill for gallbladder surgery here in Chapel Hill, NC. We went to the ER and since we didn't have insurance the American taxpayers paid for it in full (Thank you taxpayers). Now that health reform has gone through I will have to pay for insurance and cover my own costs – no more free ride for me and my family and millions of others like me. From a personal and selfish view – I wish the bill didn't pass so I can keep getting free taxpayer covered health care. If everyone really new how their taxes were going to pay for the uninsured before they would all change their minds and want this new health reform package..

March 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bobby Cordell

Maria Hinojosa said it perfect !! So many greedy people who dont wont to help others You will be judged on how you treat your lesser man !! I am sure jesus would be proud of the greedy people trying to make sure the poor cannot get healthcare. I was proud to see the nuns supporting it and that made me smile. Life is about trying to help your fellow man or woman ! And for once in a very long long time i am proud to see something done to help others. So many republicans say they support the church yet have 3 houses and giant SUVs but would not give 1 $ to a homeless person. Jesus would be so proud.

March 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. commie

It amazes me how everyone has forgotten that US has been a "SOCIALIST" nation for a very long time. SS, Medicare, Medicad, Welfare, subsidies, etc.... The economy runs off the gov't hand out. Add another Socialist program, and we are still the same. Relax folks. Nothing has changed. The gov't is getting more of our money and they will until the day comes when we radically change the fiefdoms that are now called democracies.

March 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. johnrj08

I've been blogging about health care reform for more than a year now, writing and reading about the issue and what is being said by its opponents. I'm struck by the breath-taking ignorance of those who scream the loudest against reform. They clearly do not have a clue what is in the bill and are only repeating what some mouthpiece for the insurance industry has told them. I've learned that the more strident someone is, the less they actually understand the need for this reform and what it will do, even for their own families. People like John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, John Kyl, Eric Cantor, and Michelle Bachmann have been exploiting this ignorance, whipping up people's emotions with incendiary rhetoric. Somebody better get ahold of this situation before it turns violent. And it will.

March 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. USMC Vet

The only groups who finance abortions are private insurance companies- the same people GOP leadership and their people support. If they REALLY cared about abortion they would go after them to stop financing abortions. But they don't! Why? Fact: anyone receiving federal assistance for health insurance in the Bill cannot use that insurance for funding of abortions. These people have been once again lied to by GOP leaders. AGAIN and AGAIN... these people believe everything they are told by the most corrupt group of puppet politicians who live in the deep pockets of the evil abortion paying insurance companies?

March 22, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anthony

I do care about those that can't afford health insurance. However, good intentions and big government solutions will hurt this country economically. Don't forget we already have a have a trillion + deficit. So who will pay for the 850MM legislation? I don't believe there will be to much applauding when the income tax rates hike up 10 or 20% higher than they are today.
    In addition, the proposed legislation will reduce hiring by businesses because they can't afford to assist with health insurance costs for their employees.
    Insurance companies employ millions of people who will be impacted by this legislation. In my humble opinion, the solution lies in Health Insurance company oversight and cost capping, not a government take over of our health care system. States already offer many solutions for those that can't afford Health Care. Again good intentions, but a very costly plan that will most likely nto deliver on those intentions...JMO.

March 22, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Raymond

Instead of saving Big Health Insurance companies by wasting our time and money on a health care repeal, save more lives and money by repealing the war and the illicit desire to spread democracy to the world on the backs of American citizens. Republican congress are clinging to anything that may save their precious political job; give up your job, you have no value representing America in the manner each of you pretends,

March 22, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WF

Get a grip. You are already being told what doctors to see and what hospita;s to go to. Sure, you can go to a doctor not on the provider list, but at more of a cost to you. That is the punishment for not staying within they system. I was denied back surgery because the two best hospitals for back surgery were not on the so called provider list. I still have not had the surgery.When I see people saying how the government is going to pick you doctors for you, it makes my head spin. The insurance companies are already doing it.

March 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave Brantley

Donnajean,
    Good for you and I agree. From one nurse to another streamlining the system and providing more primary care will lower costs. As to the question of where we will get the doctors to treat these people. That's why the President is trying to create plans to encourage people to become primary care physicians. It is not a justifiable reason to not offer health care to all Americans. As to when will it stop considering what the government will see as an item that you have right to. Use common sense. Will depriving you of that item kill you? Tha's a good starting point.

March 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kammy

Healthcare is not a RIGHT!! Work hard, pay taxes, and PAY for your healthcare. It is about time that all Americans stop feeling entitled to EVERYTHING!!! What happened to the dream for America that our grandparents and great-grandparents had? Everyone who is so excited that they will now have "options" for healthcare. Are you kidding? Who do you think is going to pay for this "option"? Oh yeah, those of us who are already paying for the entire Medicaid/Medicare system!! Or...how about the federal government just prints some more money to cover it all!!! Great plan to throw our once thriving country into an even worse tailspin. That being said, I will be the first person to support a healthcare bill that the entire Congress and the President himself is on. If it's good enough for the President, his wife and their 2 daughters, THEN and ONLY THEN will it be good enough for me and my family!! Right now they are all exempt...that should say something right there!!

March 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jennifer

My husband and I are self employed.. We pay our own health insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Every year our rates go up.. Not alittle, but significantly.
    Therefore, every year I have to call the insurance company to find ways to keep my rates down. I am now at a $3500 deductible so I can afford it the premium. Plus, I've had to change my plan several times so my out of pocket expense is even higher. That was the only way to contain my costs. When does it end? Is there no limit or cap as to how much the health insurance companies can increase your rates?? These people who oppose it most likely have insurance and don't have to pay for it themselves...If they do, the cost is insignificant. ..Especially those in Congress.. Have no doubt, it's all about the money. As for Mr. Boehner's speech last night. It's all for show.. Give me a break. The American people can see right through him.. All his anger is to show his constituents that he's on their side because he wants to keep his job. He's not really angry!! He's just being a politician.

March 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Barney Austin

Folks,
    We are looking at a fundamental difference between Democrats and Republicans here...between Liberals and Conservatives. The Deomocrats believe that it is a fundamental right of all American people to have access to health care. I believe that too and am willing to pay a considerable portion of my hard-earned wages so that others can have acess to the medical treatment I enjoy. Not everyone agrees with this philosophy, but the majority, albeit slim, does. Now let's move on to other important issues the country is now facing...

March 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Truthpaste

Why is that none of these Republicans spoke out when Bush and Cheney declared the illegal war in Iraq? A war that cost American lives? Why were you not angry about that?

March 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill Castello

Thanks Democrats, for (finally) having a little courage. Now, how about REAL healthcare? Skip the insurance part and expand Medicare or the VA system. I am a vet and can tell you that our VA system is fantastic – I wouldn't be here today without it.

March 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |