March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. Chris Willsie

I have healthcare insurance through work and pay 30% of the premium (about $300 a month). And guess what? I STILL cannot use its benefits. I cannot afford the $40 – $75 copays for each visit, script or test ordered by a physician. If I am sick, I cannot take off work because I do not get paid. I have a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. To have surgery and rehabilitation, I'be been told I would not be able to work for almost a year (how could I pay Dr., prescriptions, physical therapy visits with no income). I am single and have no other source of income. When are they (Congress) going to control the COST of medical services? Until the legislation takes effect, the insurance companies and medical services providers will jack up their prices -- is everyone out there ready for $100 copays for an office visit? By 2014, how high will they be then?

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Larry L.

It is interesting to see a Republican Party with 100 percent unity on the healthcare issue. What are the odds that the democratic process might assemble a group who search their hearts make a decision without political influence, and end up with a unified result? This anomoly is further compicated by the justification for rejection of the bill – the increase in spending required. The Republicans now so opposed to spending are, for the most part, the same politicians who spent like drunken sailors while they controlled the majority. Possibly they all saw the light, and became born-again fiscal conservatives. More likely they're nothing more than political weasels ready to undermine the good of our Nation for the benefit of the special interest groups who pull the strings while they dance.

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony

'pray for you people who are so cold hearted and self righteous. I am proud of my President for passing health care reform, it is about time?'
    Although I agree that there are a lot of self righteous politicians out there who have weak arguments for or against this legislation, I don't believe it's a self righteous act to speak out against something this massive if you have an alternative solution (or a meaningful argument). It's our job as citizens to ensure that our government acts in a responsible and reasonable manner. Besides the cost, I think the worst part of this legislation is how much is 'hidden' and unknown to most of us. Again, good intentions with huge consequences.

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Moad

@taz and @b.arnold Says John Rowan head of Vietnam Veterans of America, AFTER a 403 to 0 vote to exempt military personnel from any requirements mandated by the health-care legislation: "The VVA does not appreciate spreading rumors that are not accurate by any political partisan from any point of the political spectrum. Issues affecting veterans and their families are not, should not, and must not become partisan footballs to bat around. VVA decries any effort, by anyone, that would do just that."

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ruthpa

foolindeed....insurance companies go bankrupt??? are u out of your mind??? that's the problem, they are making so much money, we're all going broke trying to pay our premiums!!!

thank god one of the components of this healthcare reform is a sunshine law. this forces the insurance companies to make public just how much they pay their execs, admin. costs, etc. once this is known completely...just like bank CEO's...we'll see just how much they are gouging us with their unbridled greed.

wake up !! and stop drinking the Kool Aid. all these corporations need to be reigned in and stop stealing from Americans just to line their already full pockets. this remedy may not fix it all but at least it's a start in giving us back some power and clout from these companies who pull all the strings and hold the reigns, unfairly. there is nothing wrong with making a good living but there has to be some balance.

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John Nguyen

Whether or not you agree with this legislation, expound your opinion on the issues without rancor. This is what adults do and what a civil society does. People who demonize or intimidate others with name-callings are just overgrown bullies. Get your facts straight and you will be heard.

March 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. B. Gray

To everyone that is for this bill and who are shocked at the people who are against helping innocent Americans get health coverage. 1) this bill does not get everyone healthcare, 2) small and large businesses will hire fewer people and probably let people go now because of this and 3) WE CANNOT AFFORD THIS!!!!!. I want, want, want, want, want, want. Geez....Cubans all have healthcare but they are trying to get over here in the boat loads. We may be the one's headed over there by the boat loads at this rate.

March 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barrington06

The level of ignorance and hatred that the opposition has towards this movement is absolutely disgusting. It just goes to show you the savage, discriminant and inhuman principles that have plagued our society for far too long. Obama and the Democratic party have done more good for the American people than any other president of the last 20 years! So far, all he has gotten in return is a bunch of ignorant capitalists that support the barbaric ideals of a time that no longer exists. I have been watching this debate since the very beginning and have not heard ANY solid ideas and/or reasoning for us not to reform healthcare. Even they dont know why they are protesting; most of them are simply following the crowd up the street because they heard about the free beer and the sobering tea party afterwards. Nevertheless, I would deeply encourage those who are not willing to participate in America's change to step aside and keep their jr high school mouths closed. Your leader has spoken...

GOBAMA!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ricky

I have come to realize that the Republican Party is all about themselves, big money, big power and little for anyone else. I really believe that the Republicans were not fighting health care as much as they were fighting a Democratic victory on healthcare reform. You would have thought that at least 1 republican would have voted for the bill. The Republicans know that heath care is broken and the cost would only increase exponentially upward. They voted for no change. They didn't even try to help mold the health care package. I think they will be the ones hurting in November as " do nothings and fight all fronts" legislatures. The Democrates finally have a big victory!

March 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Yep, and as much as I dislike the self-righteous authoritarians of the modern-day Republican Party, I'm going to be sending lots and lots of money to them over the next eight months–no matter how many thousands of dollars that may be, it will still be cheaper than being taxed to death by the thieves of the Democratic Party.

Henry, the road to hell is paved with Republicans. You, just like many of your brethren, are just plain greedy. You live in a community that you make your money from, but don't feel you need to support your community with the wealth you acquire (kinda like off-shoring jobs). If your customers are debt loaded because of health costs, where is their money to pay for your products/services. Too many short, short sighted people in the US.

March 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lonetree

I am not a wealthy person. Quite the opposite but I will gladly pay more in taxes to help those without insurance. 21 years ago two of my children were killed in an auto accident. It was a wrongful death on the part of the other person who caused the collision that took their lives. The insurance companies did everything in their power to escape from a wrongful death suit. The end result my children were worth $50k each. That was a cap. the insurance carrier had lobbied for in the state where the accident occured. My only hope now is the health care bill addresses the issues of corrupt insurance carriers and drug manufactures. There is a big problem there and they will have a field day with increasing premiums if this too is not addressed in the bill's ammendments. I am totally disgustted with Republicans and I have been one for decades. It is time to take care of people. NOT politician's carreers!

March 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Live Free or Die

I have a problem with Obama and both partys deciding on a healthcare package for the American people when they're all exempt from the plan. The right solution is to put all the plans on the table and let the American people (and tax payers) vote on it. Why should they decide if they're not going to participate!!!

March 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

Thanks for the promise of repeal of this law. The Demos are only out to bankrupt this country by helping all those people who are whinning. We need more Republicans in the Congress who will help business recovery and ignore the chants of the people. Up with business, down with whinners.

March 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Debra Greenwood

Dear President Obama,

As my late Aunt Mae would say, "Ya done good!" Through your leadership, we have achieved historic legislation that has eluded this country for 97 years. It is a wonderful start, and, as you know, we still have far to go, but with you at the helm, I am confident that we will get there.

You can now stop smoking, sir. We, the American people, have "got your back." Besides we want you around for a long time to enjoy the fruits of your outstanding leadership.

March 22, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

Whenever a right thing was done, there were lots of opposition to it. It is never easy to do right thing. May be people who are opposing will see it over a period of time or (hardship). This was a right decision solely because it will save lots of life or atleast will give a chance.

March 22, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |