March 23rd, 2010

Judge rules against lesbian high schooler in prom case

[Updated, 5:02 p.m.] In his 12-page order, U.S. District Judge Glen H. Davidson denied a motion for an injunction filed by Constance McMillen, a senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, against the Itawamba County School District's superintendent, the school's principal and its assistant principal.

In his order, Davidson ruled that McMillen failed to show that granting the injunction would serve the public interest.

Read the judge's opinion | Read the full story

[Posted, 4:44 p.m.] A federal judge on Tuesday said he would not order a school district to hold a prom that it had canceled after an openly lesbian student asked to attend with her girlfriend.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Iris Marie

Praise God! Pollitical Correctness has run amok, but level heads have previled here. I do hope this wall will not be breached!

March 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hpatton

It feels like Selma, Alabama, 1965. I hope these kids are granted certiorari in this case when the time comes.

March 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. josh

Good. This whole thing is ridiculous.

March 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DASH

Interesting.....seems like the right wing is having a little influence in the world.

March 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bopo

Man! I gotta check the year on my calendar.

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Miranda

That's just wrong. That school district should be shut down. This isn't 1960, it's 2010 they should be ashamed!

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bmsvds

A school should be able to make whatever decisions benefit the students as a whole. I have no problem with alternative lifestyles. However, I applaud the judge's ruling as an example of Big Brother staying out of it.

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

What possible good can come of spitefully canceling the whole prom just because the school can't cope with the idea of an openly gay student attending? The average young person today doesn't bat an eye over the fact that one of their friends is gay. This is a case where the younger generation can teach the older generation quite a bit about tolerance, common sense, and basic decency.

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. stand up for your rights

I'm glad they were not made to hold the prom. I just feel bad for all the other children that missed out because of this.

I'm against CHILDREN acting like they are gay! I don't care what anyone says it is a learned behavior that is becoming a fashion trend.

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Turner D

I could only get half way through the article. Way too long for me...

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. conservative

I don't know what's worse: that a school district would cancel a prom because of this, or that the Judge didn't order the prom uncancled. This judge needs to get with the times!

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Melanie

Are you kidding me?!?!?! How can they legaly discriminate like this? Is this really 2010 in America.? The so called land of the free. HA

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

That's not what the ACLU is saying... "Court finds school violated Constance’s rights. School allowed to cancel prom, but Constance should be allowed to attend the private prom." So the judge said that the school could cancel the prom, but she should be allowed to any other scheduled proms. Geez CNN, I expect more.

March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BFo

Amen Vickie! God bless Mom's (and people in general) like YOU!

March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chaos

If the person were banned from a prom for having a same sex date, the court would rule against the district. The law is equal treatment. Canceling the prom, while harsh and stupid, treats everyone equally even if in a destroy the village to save it kind of way. The equal protection clause restricts government actions, not thoughts. Bad school decision. Good legal decision.

March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |