March 23rd, 2010

Judge rules against lesbian high schooler in prom case

[Updated, 5:02 p.m.] In his 12-page order, U.S. District Judge Glen H. Davidson denied a motion for an injunction filed by Constance McMillen, a senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, against the Itawamba County School District's superintendent, the school's principal and its assistant principal.

In his order, Davidson ruled that McMillen failed to show that granting the injunction would serve the public interest.

Read the judge's opinion | Read the full story

[Posted, 4:44 p.m.] A federal judge on Tuesday said he would not order a school district to hold a prom that it had canceled after an openly lesbian student asked to attend with her girlfriend.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mark

Vickie – Prom is a dance, not a right!.

March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Adam

The title is a little misleading. Last I heard it ruled against the injunction saying the school had the right to cancel the prom, but that it did indeed violate her rights.

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chris in Minnesota

It's the right ruling. A judge can't make that kind of order. However, the school district ought to be ashamed of what it did. Absolutely disgusting and just plain wrong.

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kim S.

That's it?? This is a big story getting a lot of national attention. Clearly, CNN does not have its priorities straight about what should be reported.

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Aaron

Hooray! A win for the straight folks!

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eli

Oh but lets not forget the judge did leave it on the docket on the merits of the lawsuit but would not order the prom to go on. I guess he knew what they did to her was wrong so he did not dismiss the lawsuit. The principal and the school board went to court saying that her asking to bring her girlifriend was not the reason for the cancelation--what a lie-- now that is some good values that Mr. Wigul and Mrs. Mcneece show the students at IAHS, but hey anything to stand up for their MORAL VALUES. I am sure GOD agreed with their HATE and LIES.

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shocked

This just blows my mind. How can we finally have a black president but we can not accept gays? Makes no sense to me. God created us all, gay, straight, black or white. This poor girl is going to get harassed so bad. I feel for her. I hope this judge realizes his poor and unjustified ruiling now puts this girl in harms way. hope he is ready for a fight. I do not see this being the end of this battle

March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jeffrey Root

If the school could afford the prom in the first place, it should go on with it. I can't believe a judge would rule in the schools favor. Makes me sick to see the youth treated this way.

March 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ian English

Let the school face the consequences of their actions. They now have a bunch of angry students on their hands.

March 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Don

It shouldn't be up to a federal judge to make a school district hold a prom but the school officials should be ashamed of themselves.

March 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Linda S.

I'm not for any form of Homosexual lifestyles but I must say is this personal. Why didn't the school have a vote and allow the students to choose. Why should the entire school prom be canceled. Schools needs to learn how to choose there battles. There has to be more to this then what I'm reading.

March 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. silk

There are still many people cannot accept gays and lesbians. I won't call them bigots because many of them probably aren't. But I do say they might be ignorant on the issue, maybe because of their religious belief.

I just hope some day everyone will look at gays and lesbians as normal people, do not judge them with their own beliefs. We are all human beings and we are all different. As long as we don't hurt other people, there's nothing wrong with being gay.

March 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mrs. Fitz

I don't even know how to respond to something like this, I mean it's a High School prom, are we challanging sexual preference at school or is it an establishment of education? The school can't force someone to change their sexual preferrence. This is not their problem, it's actually a private matter that parents deal with and whether or not the parents are dealing with it, is not our business. This may vary from school to school for if it were a Catholic School or any religious education establishment, I would understand, it's about religion and the students already know what their getting themselves into.

March 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. a humble

On a glorious day like today when we say all Americans are valued and deserve healthcare why must we judge who someone loves or cares for?

If you are a Christian and you think the Lord is judging these individuals I believe you should understand the Lord reserves the right to judge. Judge not lest thee be judged.

Let's just let everyone live, love and care for each other.

March 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cerissa

She should have not even asked in the first place. Just shown up with her date and be done with it.

March 23, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |