March 24th, 2010

Police: Dwight Gooden arrested for DUI after crash

Former New York Mets pitcher Dwight Gooden was driving under the influence of drugs with a child in the car when he was arrested Tuesday following a car crash, police said Wednesday.

Gooden was arrested after the two-vehicle crash about 8:50 a.m. ET Tuesday, police in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, said in a statement. Gooden, 45, lives in Franklin Lakes, authorities said.

Gooden faces charges including endangering the welfare of a child; driving under the influence of drugs; DWI with a child passenger; leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident; and reckless driving, the statement said. He was released on his own recognizance.

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. beverly reilly

My family has followed DG from the golden days to the present, always hoping that someone could help him along the way, help him to help himself. Alas.

March 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. swede1775

well, I guess he now qualifies for Celebrity Apprentice!!

March 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cranberry

Sad – WRONG, but sad.

March 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Westwood Jayhawk

One more strike and one more poor decision by this guy. What a bum. Too bad for the child.

March 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

Doc,

Please take a good hard look at where you are, pray, and be thankful for all your blessings. You can turn your life around. Every day brings a new chance. Lots of us are rooting for you. I wish you and your family all the best. Be a man your family and yourself will be proud of. Good luck.

Tom

March 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. snook

Jeez..what a loser. Maybe a few yrs in jail will force him to get clean and sober..it's overdue

March 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bert Graul

Please...finally...send this guy away. He has no respect for himself, nor apparently for the child in his car. I'm so done with caring what happens to Gooden. In baseball he made a living getting 3 strikes on hitters....how many strikes does he get before he is finally out!

March 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mets Fan

Nice curveball, Dwight. I'd advise him to get help but he's a lost cause. I feel for his kid

March 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andrew

Anyone else would have had to post massive bail based on those charges. It's amazing what the rich and famous are allowed to get away with. Would he have had to kill the child to have some level of bail imposed?

March 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Slozomby

dwight gooden is relevant how?

next up joe bob smith from nowhere idaho gets arrested for DUI.

March 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KCSURRISE

Can you all remember him pleading for his job back saying he is a chaned man, I won't do drugs, I won't beat my ol lady, Please give me my job back. I am a chaned man.
    Well turns out he is worthless like we all thought.

March 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adam

How can somebody like that who's been arrested mulitple times be let go on his own recognizance???!!!! He should be locked up and never let out. What happened to the 3 strickes and your out. He is an absolute disgrace to society, the MLB, his own family and himself. Nothing will be done until he kills somebody and then it might be a 6 mths suspended jail term.

March 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. apax

Wow, drunk and high at 8:50am on a tuesday? You're setting the bar pretty freaking high for celebrity washouts, Dwight.

March 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patricia Kennedy

Outraged! This is more newsworthy than Tiger's personal dramas.
    Hope Godden spends at least one night in jail. He endangered the child and the public and drove away from his repsonsibility. If t his had been Joe Schmoe he would have been in jail.

March 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BUNNY

I really don't know what happen to the young men and women who seem to have no control over their lives and are always trying to ruin others. I have always liked Godden, I watched him play lots of times. Good luck in the near future.

March 24, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |