March 26th, 2010

Thousands to lose jobless benefits April 5

Extended jobless benefits will run out for about 212,000 Americans out of work after April 5 because the Senate closed up shop Friday afternoon without a deal to extend filing deadlines.

Senate Democrats and Republicans failed to agree on passing a House version of the extension of deadlines to apply for federal unemployment benefits and the COBRA health insurance subsidy.

In 10 days, those receiving state jobless benefits won't be able to apply for additional federally paid unemployment insurance, and anyone already receiving those checks could be cut off. They also won't be able to sign up for the 65 percent federal subsidy for COBRA unemployment insurance.

Key Democrats say they hope to pass a retroactive extension, compensating the unemployed for a gap in funding, after they return from a two-week break the week of April 12. If approved, it would be the seventh time the deadline has been extended since June 2008.

Read the full CNNMoney.com story

1. FedUP

So where is Obama demanding a vote on helping the American people in their everyday lives? Do the members of the Senate really think that making a decision retroactive will help people who rely on their checks every week. Oh, I am sorry Mr Landlord, but the Senate is on recess..can I pay you when they get back and make a decision?

March 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. carrie

well I hope tom colburn plans on paying my rent and buying me food why he is on he easter break. I am one of the many on unemployment that do not want to be on unemployment but at the age of 50 i still can not find a job. i have worked and paid my taxes since i was 16 years old

March 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Larry

First Bunning and now Colburn,,,where do these nuts come from and how do they get in office

March 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pay Attention

@FedUp... Your reading comprehension skills need improvement. This isn't Obama holding up extension of benefits, the Democratic house has already approved the spending. Your benefits are being held up in the Senate while REPUBLICANS (explicitly Colburn) block extension in a political manuver. The Democrats are on your side, especially Obama.

March 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meg

I am a single mom of two children under 3 who needs my benefits to buy diapers and food. Why is that this health care plan took priority over all the americans who need their unemployment to simply survive? This healthcare law doesnt even go into effect until next year, I NEED MY BENEFITS now! Cmon Mr President, demand a vote already!

March 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brad Hopkins

GOP talks about taking from our children's future when in 10 days
    over 200,000 Americans are going to be wondering how they are
    going to feed their children now.

March 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom Joad

I hope our well fed, well insured Senators have a swell Easter brake while they're out on their vacation junkets that their sponsors have provided them. If it were up to me, there would be no adjournment until they take care of the business they were elected to do. Playing games with the unemployed is a risky game plan with the next elections coming up. We may be out of a job but we will vote.

March 27, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. joyce cooper

I would certainlyd love to see how congress would put food on their tables, make their car payments, when they lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Nobody knows what its like till it happens to you, and all we are asking for is a little more time to regain our employment status. We have worked and paid into it all of our lives, I have worked since I was 16, can't find a job because I'm 59, have cobra insurance through my employer when I gave them 33 years of my life, had cancer two years again, and now have to worry about the extended unemployment and cobra subsidy. Help us out here, how can we enjoy our Easter or Spring break, have a heart, someone should be able to step in. JC

March 27, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. joyce cooper

I would certainly love to see how congress would put food on their tables, make their car payments, when they lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Nobody knows what its like till it happens to you, and all we are asking for is a little more time to regain our employment status. We have worked and paid into it all of our lives, I have worked since I was 16, can't find a job because I'm 59, have cobra insurance through my employer when I gave them 33 years of my life, had cancer two years again, and now have to worry about the extended unemployment and cobra subsidy. Help us out here, how can we enjoy our Easter or Spring break, have a heart, someone should be able to step in. JC

March 27, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Barbara Nix

I think that they should cut ALL the benefits that the REPUBLICANS elected official receive for a while, Especially since it appears that they don't care if unemployed citizens survive or not. Taxpaying dollars pay their salaries. They have a wonderful life off of the taxes that we have paid. I have been employed since I was the age of 18 and have paid taxes and am not 54 years old and through no fault of my own was put on layoff and have been unable to find a job. Why penalize unemployed citizens for something that they had nothing to do with? It appears, from me watching sooo much of CNN that the only thing that the Republicans care about and is Trying to prove is that the "Republicans" are a better choice. If this is so, then prove it! It should be time out for the greed that is dominating this country in the name of "REPUBLICAN OFFICIAL" THAT DON'T CARE ABOUT NO ONE BUT THEMSELVES IN THE NAME OF THE BEST OF THE COUNTRY. America has more than enough resources for everyone to be able to survive, and if you eliminate the greedy out of it then this will eliminate the "problems" that exist in this country. Why won't someone think of that? Wow, what a concept!

March 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A. Smith, Oregon

This isn't the US Congress nor the US Senate blocking a Federal Emergency extension of unemployment benefits, it is specifically Republican Lawmakers with their 'Hell No' promise to block all pending legislation that would help and benefit Americans.

Congressional Republican minority leader John Boehners promise of Armageddon on the American people and Republican Senator John McCain's promise of blocking all pending legislation that would help and benefit American's is certainly more than empty words. The Republican lawmakers are causing as much chaos, pain and suffering of the American people as they possibly can. The Republican lawmakers don't care if children will be staving, family's lose their homes, family's unable to pay their rent and hundreds of thousands of people will now be unable to pay their power bill.

Under emergency requests, the Republican lawmakers time and again received huge amounts of taxpayer dollars based on IOU's to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. NOW they are supposedly against the emergency request to extend badly needed unemployment benefit payments. This is the basest and yet another disgusting example of the Republican lawmakers hypocrisy and voters across America should respond by voting in more Democratic lawmakers in the mid-term and November election cycle.

March 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JERRY

the republicans are so scared that obama is going to get re elected. that they are fighting him on every thing.. they are to dumb to know THAT US UNEMPLOYED ARE GOING TO REMENBER THIS COME ELECTION TIME.

March 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Paul Sherwood

Why is everything about politics and not about the people that you represent? This is the only income that I have. Who is going to buy us food and pay the bills. I worked hard all of my life, It is not my fault that the economy is so bad and jobs are lost and new jobs are not available. This money is not even enough to live on now. Unemployment is also the only income for my son and his family and they have two small children. WHO IS GOING TO FEED MY GRANDDAUGHTERS. They are already living with friends becuase they could not keep their house payments up only having unemployment income. What are we all supposed to do becuase the Senate left without even caring about us! FORGET THE POLITICS. WHERE IS THE ASSISTANCE FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

March 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. amabOssAyMssiK

Interesting timing, that will correspond with the month that hiring for the census kicks into high gear... It's a ploy to pad the unemployment numbers in April to create the appearance that the communist agenda is working, we're not falling for it.

March 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tom Joad

God fearing Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma is the chicken hawk who never served in the military but held up a veteran's bill that was meant to help the returning military that he enthusiastically sent to iraq. These are the kinds of cowards that are elected to Congress as our leaders. Now Coburn wants to hold up unemployment benefits. Can't we do better than this?

March 29, 2010 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |