March 26th, 2010

Toyota seeks consolidation of acceleration lawsuits

An attorney for Toyota Motor Co. told a panel of federal judges Thursday that the company prefers to have the dozens of lawsuits filed against it nationwide consolidated into a single lawsuit, preferably heard in Los Angeles.

The suits were filed in the aftermath of reports of sudden unintended acceleration.

During a packed hearing in U.S. District Court in San Diego, California, more than 100 lawyers who have filed lawsuits against the company were literally lined up standing against the walls and filling every available courtroom seat.

Attorney Cari Dawson, representing Toyota, told the panel that "we are open to proceed wherever you deem fit," but she made it clear that Toyota much prefers a trial in the Central District of California, which has its headquarters in Los Angeles.

Toyota's U.S. corporate headquarters is nearby, in Torrance, California. Dawson is a partner in the Atlanta law firm of Alston and Bird.

Post by:
Filed under: Toyota
  1. whale

Oh Tiger ,please leave lie alone ,it`s resting this uncovered semester in your blossom,the latest will surface ,hence the later is forgiven,but how do will crucify the later if it does surface,let alone the golf fans would let it sleep to pluto for the sake of the master cup.Honesty ,loyalty,perfection dug in greatness.

March 26, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ryan

Since when does Toyota get to decide how trial proceedings should be handled on cases involving their negligence and lack of decency? Not to mention that the people should get their own days in court, each with their own arguments. This is America, not some regime where we're all hearded en masse.

March 26, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Turtle71

Samm
    There were plenty of article about GM's Sterring recall. The problem happened at speeds less than15 MPH, and only injuries have resulted. Not deaths. I love your insular Toyota owners thinking....."I still to this day have not figured out how in the heck the floor mat could jam when its attached on hooks at the back of it". That is a Toyota Corporate line – that you are saying you can't figure out...so you are in the very least saying that the Toyota reason doesn't make sense to you. Then, you try to say insinuate that OTHER companies are out to get Toyota. If you, an obviously loyal Toyota customer can't see how the floormat could be trapped, why are you then saying Toyota for life?
    Why any car for life? Why not buy whatever gives you the best value for your dollar? It's certainly not Toyota at the moment. Even Consumer reports, BEFORE this acceleration fiasco, rated the Camry only average.

March 26, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. David T

I'm willing to bet they think they can get away with lower total cost by having one class-action suit. If they have to answer to each and every case independently the total payouts to the plaintiffs will probably end up being higher. Think about how many class action suits have happened where each plaintiff gets just a few hundred dollars in the end when it is all divided out.

Not to mention the time they save not having to sit through hundreds or thousands of seperate cases. Each plaintiff would just be spending a day or two, while Toyota would be stuck for months in court.

I say make them deal with the hassles – why should they get a break?

March 26, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joshua

I'm sure that those who have died in accidents from Toyota acceleration problems did it only to make the 'hoax' more realistic and to smear Toyota's good name. Get real samm, Basing your opinion of Toyota only off of your own experiences and not the proof that has been laid out in front of you over the past few months is foolish. Certainly Toyota would not admit to the problem if there was no problem. And as to why other manufacturers' recalls aren't being talked about – maybe because they didn't engage in a cover up while their customers were dying?

March 26, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. gespenste

I pretty much agree with samm. I would like to know the percentage of Toyota vehicles that were recalled. Most of the manufacturing data that I have seen places Toyota and Ford as the best automakers in regards to defective units. Although that data is a little bit dated, I feel that it is probably pretty accurate. It also said GM and Chrysler were towards not as good in regards to defective units. I think Toyota should have fixed the problem earlier because that is how their company is supposed to run. In my opinion this is being hyped a lot.

March 26, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve Wilson

It would appear that I am right, eh cnn

March 26, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Turtle71

Toyota lovers unite! They are attacking our beloved icon! There is no way that Toyota, that pinnacle of perfection, could ever make a mistake! It was the drivers! Even the ones who died! The CHP officer that died with his family are part of the conspiracy! IT IS ALL FALSE! TOYOTA FOREVER!
    And if it is a problem, then it is the horrible fat lazy union workers! The fact, nay, the horrid lie, that the recall was worldwide is all part if the OBAMA plan! He, along with the UAW, planted spies and sabatuers worldwide! The fact that these cars were built before he was in office is a testament to his insidious commitment!
    TOYOTA CANNOT BE WRONG!!!! IT'S THE GOVERNMENT! ITS THE FAT AMERICANS! IT'S OBAMA!
    Any of this make sense to you? If so, you need not read any other post, as most of them contain all or most of the above. If you find them over the top but agree with the idea, then you need to do research.
    Not that this will do any good. Everybody knows that Toyota is in business to do good, and would never put profit first. Never mind that thier engineers might make a mistake...oh no....

March 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WausauFamily

We have a 2008 Toyota – no problems. have noticed people do seem to get out of the way more.

April 1, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rodwan

I sure do love women but I don't understand the point of dsyilaipng one that has no clue about a product just to corral men to the car. I did meet one thought that stood out. after asking women about cars at at one car show with my dad when I was around 15 and getting nothing but blank stares, I happened upon this one who knew what she was talking about and knew well. Then after she gave me some advice my dad asks if she was single. I guess she did both jobs right.

April 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |