March 27th, 2010
09:26 AM ET

Pakistan airstrikes kill 7, officials say

Pakistani helicopter strikes killed six militants and one member of the country's security forces on Saturday, Pakistani intelligence officials told CNN.

The officials said the strikes targeted four militant hideouts in Orakzai Agency, one of the seven districts of Pakistan's tribal region bordering Afghanistan. The sources asked not to be named because they are not authorized to speak to the media.

In two other districts of the tribal region, militants blew up boys' schools overnight, a local government official told CNN. Militants destroyed one school in the Mohmand Agency and another school in the Khyber Agency. There were no injuries in the attacks, the official said.

soundoff (3 Responses)
  1. inspiral

    What is it, that these militants have against education? is it because their country has an overall literacy rate of less than 49% ( i guess they fall into the other 51%) and children being educated would constitute a future threat to them.

    March 27, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. DoubleW

    Any wider education than that offered by the Wahhabist madrassas constitutes a threat to the fundamentalist regime envisioned by the Taliban. Girls' schools are even more of a threat to them, hence the murders of teachers at such schools.

    March 28, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. brian

    The only way pakistanis might see peace or less violence if they kick out the afghanis back to afghanistan and ban all the clerics from teaching and spreading hatred msg's .
    If the clerics are so called muslims then why dont they believe or follow . in there own holy book where it says killing one innocent man (muslim or nonmuslim) is like killing a whole man kind .

    March 28, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |