March 29th, 2010

CNN Poll: Obama approval ratings up

Passage of the landmark health care bill appears to have boosted President Barack Obama's approval rating, but it has not affected his re-election chances so far, according to a new national poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday indicates that 51 percent of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing in the White House, with 48 percent saying they disapprove. That 51 percent approval rating is up five points from a week ago, before Congress approved the health care reform bill and the president signed the legislation into law. Four in ten respondents say they disapprove because Obama is too liberal and 6 percent say they the president is not liberal enough.

See the full poll results (PDF) | Read the full story at CNN's Political Ticker

- CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics
  1. Myrrh Haslam

Obama is doing a great job! He inherited a serious situation with the economy and foreign affairs, did anyone think it could happen overnight? Keep up the good work!

March 31, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. lovemytb

If Obamacare is so good and Obama administration think they are doing good for American people, why don't they get on that plan themselves? Since when does congressman get excluded from what they offer to American people? There should be no such law and if they create rules they should be affected by them as well. I think Obama administration is the worst ever in American history. We didn't bring our children to this Country so that Obama can completely take it away. I did now vote for him and I will not vote for him the next term. I cannot wait until his time is up in the white house. It's amazing how much damage he has done to this country in such short time. Another two years is going to be a huge pain. Obama with his administration must go in order for this Country to have any chance in recovery.

March 31, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. GivingUpInNY

It's hard to believe that any of you who think he is doing a great job own a business or have any idea how to run a business. He is the CEO of the United States of America. If a real organization had him leading their company, he'd be put on notice or outright fired. I'm not saying he started the debt mess we are in, but he is more than perpetuating the problem. His policies and the liberal policies in the State of New York are bringing small business to it's knees. Believe me, I know first hand.

March 31, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

The representatives of the media are showing their true biased selves! While there are always a few nut jobs on the right and left, the overwhelming majority of those supporting the tea party movement could care less about race. They are instead concerned with their country and the policies that are destroying it. The media supports a president who: 1). said he closed Gitmo and hasn't, 2). said he would stop the war in Iraq and hasn't, 3) said he would not increase debt and deficits but has added to them fourfold, 4) said he would bring jobs with the stimulus but hasn't, 5) said he would be bi-partisan but isn't, 6) said he would get things done but hasn't even with a democratically controlled senate and house, 7) said he would limit special interest but allows such groups to write the health care plan, 8) said he would allow people to read bills before they are passed but hasn't etc. Now it appears that the President is going to "open up drilling" even though this is window dressing for environmental studies only. All of this is a complete lie!!!! While President Bush got bad publicity when one mother protested against the war, this president gets a free pass on everything! The media is a joke! They are a disgrace! And they need to be called on it!

March 31, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. mike

This is the BEST President on the United States.He gets things done. Keep up the good works

March 31, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. lovemytb

"6 percent say they the president is not liberal enough." These are the people that want to see others giving them money while they sit on their butt and do nothing. Have you ever seen a poor person giving anyone a job? Guess what it takes a rich person to provide jobs to others, do you think the government will do it for you? How do you think the government pays their employees? These are the people that want to take away money from someone who is doing well for themselves and give it to those that decided to get through life by getting hand outs. Most of the people that made it to the higher end of income had to work their butt off to get there (speaking from experience) and why should those people feed the once that choose to sit on their couch and do nothing with their life? This is American; people come here for opportunities and ability to succeed not to give it away. Obama is very liberal and his idea is everyone should be even, which means let's take away from those that made it to those that never tried. And while we are on that subject, let’s take some more away from American's so that we can support illegals and who work for cash and never pay anything into this Country. Who in their right mind support a president like that? I cannot wait for re election it's not soon enough. Obama administration has got to go.

March 31, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Melanie

Thank you President Obama for everything you have done for our country thus far. You are a man of honor, dignity, intelligence and fortitude and I applaud you for keeping your promises to the American people. I also commend you for rising above all of the corruption and negativity (typical political madness) and keeping your composure and confidence when the Republican politicians attack you with name calling, etc. My admiration and gratitude are immeasurable and I thank you Mr. President for being nobody but yourself in a world (and country) that's constantly trying to "make you" something you are not!!! You have restored my faith in politics and I shall continue to keep you and your family in my prayers Mr. President.

March 31, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Press

Give us more stuff! Put our kids further in debt!

March 31, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cynthia

It is too bad that overhauling the educational system isn't next on the agenda. It has been very clear in the past year how many Americans are uneducated and inarticulate. I am so glad our President is a highly intelligent man with extraordinary self control and vision. I keep waiting for some intelligent, thoughtful debate coming from the Right and instead, I see loud mouths, quoting sound bites they clearly don't even understand, and frequently can't even spell, let alone explain, acting like juvenile delinquents (and those are the senators).

Thank you President Obama for being the high integrity, smart man that you are; you have my support.

March 31, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Obama... Go back to where you come from. This country is done with ya.

March 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marlene

I'm so glad you are our President! Keep up your good work. THANK YOU!!

April 1, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. DownriverDem

If I were a repub and had as much hate for the president and how he is destroying our country, I would just kill myself.

President Obama cares about us. Wake up you haters!

April 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NOBAMA

Welcome to socialism of America, I am glad I did not vote for him, Officials can leave Chicago but they never shake the corrupt practices!

April 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hater

It's very interesting that Castro himself commented on how wonderful this new bill is going to be for the American people. Riddle me this Mr. Lib - Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare are all failing and will certainly be bankrupt in the very near future yet you think it's a good idea to turn health care over to them... Gov is truly out of control... If I wanted the failing systems of Europe, I would move....

What’s the deal with the tanning tax??? Not a tanner myself but how can the Gov justify such a thing. Have you looked at how many misc. taxes we already have? Just wait, this is only the start…

April 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ryan

I am very satisfied with the job Obama is doing. He is doing all the things I wanted from him when I voted for him! We couldn't ask for a better president. I am finally proud to be an american BECAUSE OF Barack Obama!

April 8, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |