March 30th, 2010
08:51 PM ET

At least 9 people shot in D.C.

Nine people were wounded along a city block in southern Washington, D.C., Tuesday night after shooters opened fire on a crowd, police said.

Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the shooting prompted a lengthy police chase that ended in the arrest of three people. Four officers were treated for minor injuries from an accident during the chase.

The victims who were shot near the 5000 block of South Capitol Street included six males and three females, and some were in very serious condition, Lanier said.

A tenth person was shot on nearby Galveston Street, but it wasn't clear whether the two shootings were related.

Lanier decline to give more details, saying it was too early in the investigation.

However, she told reporters that, "We've made a lot of progress to stop gang retaliation and violence and, in the end, if this ends up being some kind of gang retaliation then shame on all of us."

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
soundoff (315 Responses)
  1. sam23

    This is probably gang violence but it is just a matter of time before the mindcontroled lunies of the right do something violent. Of course the RNC and NRA and Teabaggers and all the screamers of the house and senate floor will cleanse thier hands of such behavior knowing full well thier rhetoric plays to the lowest denominator
    When Beck says progressivism is a cancer on America that must be excised what do you think he is implying? He should be arrested for inciting violence.

    March 31, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gary

    I'm pretty much a lefty here but there are some people that would get political over the weather and blame it on the other side. step back and take a breath.

    March 31, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. boby

    Thugs in DC? the police must list all the frequent ciminal and put them away for good. it is for the shake of good decent people, scrap the human right.

    March 31, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. alien4

    This is not about right or left. This is about ensuring that all Americans have the right to shoot back! Even if you are a thug, you are not likely to shoot at someone who probably has an Uzi in their pocket. If criminals can get easy access to weapons, then make sure that citizens get as much fire-power as they need... maybe make it mandatory. If you can't stomach gun control, then make gun possession mandatory. Even the playing field. Why are Republicans so gut-less as to not to go to the logical conclusion? Why can the NRA not speak up more effectively?

    It could also help reduce health care costs, provided that combatants get aired out quickly and efficiently.

    March 31, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. SPF

    its is unconstitutional to require, firearm permits! a person 18 yrs of age should have no problem obtaining a firearm! Free will suggests that we are capable of ending ones life with a pencil ! Perhaps, we should have thought hard and long about firearm production in the first place! In the event that an official such as law enforcement abandons law, by withdrawing his or her firearm unconstitutionally, i would hope that a civilian is there to put said law enforcer down! otherwise without our rights, without our free will, we are practicing life, against our rights! so clearly a fire arms permit is unconstitutional! making life easier for those who oppose free will ,falls nothing less than unconstitutional. if the bandits, or law enforcers abandoned use of firearms by utilizing a knife or other to complete a purpose, Will we then require knife permits when shopping for culinary tools? NO we likely wouldn't. Knives were made for cutting, as guns are designed for killing! so to suggest that one should have a permit, is to suggest that we are constitutionally allowed to kill, so long as we are permitted to do so! Give me a break! you may not understand ones purpose, yet the purpose is there! Our right to bare firearms, should never become an option by politics, through over riding law with regulation! So take the Guns away and we will sharpen our pencils !

    March 31, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. ST7S

    Whether you're right or left, the concern I think everyone should have is if firearms are being manufactured and sold faster than they are being disposed of, how long will it be before more guns make their way into the hands of people that are either too irresponsible or violent to lawfully and properly possess them.

    March 31, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. manhandler

    Guns suck!......and have no place in a civilized society. Every last one of them should be collected and melted down. The US has many times the murder rate of any other civilized country and most murders are commited with guns. The Bill Of Rights framers are probably turning over in their graves knowing about the idiotic interpretation of their mention of a "well organized militia." Know what John means about the far right because they're the ones always going into hysterics when people start talking about regulating their deadly pacifiers.

    March 31, 2010 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. DTexas

    Don't people realize that gun laws are for people that actually obey the law? Criminals don't care one bit about gun laws, you think they fill out the required paper work and have their weapons registered? Then you're living in a fantasy world.

    March 31, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Di

    Okay. As much as I'd love to blame this on right-wing violence, that's just absurd. Not only was this in D.C., it was in an unsafe part of D.C. close to where I was once mugged at gunpoint. So I'd say there's like a 10 percent chance (if that) that this is right wing violence and like a 90 percent chance it's street crime. Just sayin'. Stop with the finger pointing.

    March 31, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ivan

    Oh, who gives a damn whether it's left or right wing or WHATEVER. Some of you people ought to be ashamed of the fact that you still need guns in your hands to protect yourselves! One would say "responsibly" ... Huh? if it weren't tragic it would be funny! I am so happy that I live in Europe where it is unimaginable to own guns "responsibly" Will you EVER learn the lesson that there is no way to use guns responsibly ... today you are sane tomorrow you are not and since you do have a gun in your hands, there you go with your own justice!!! It is truly SHOCKING that there are people in this world (in the most developed country of all) that think guns are solutions to your safety and you should own them freely ...

    March 31, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. mihalyim

    Crimes per 1000 perople
    United Kingdom 85
    United States 80
    yet we are the most violent?? Murder rate in DC dropped by 25% after the supreme court struck down the DC handgun band. Where were those drops when they enacted the ban?

    March 31, 2010 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. BeltieBandit

    The politics of gun ownership just really gets me going. When in the military, you take an oath to defend our country against all enemies, FOREIGN & DOMESTIC. This applies to all branches, included the National Guard, which is the closest thing we have to what the founding fathers had in mine.

    Foreign = Terrorists and others we are at war with
    Domestic = Terrorists, criminals, lunitics, occasional blog-responders

    Rarely does a registered gun owner use their weapon on innocents, and when they do, they are frequently found at the scene of the crime in dispair. Criminals on the other hand, head for the hills, usually ditching the gun in the process.

    I'm just saying is all......

    March 31, 2010 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Geoff

    This violence is nothing short of a new kind of reveloution that has been happening for years. To blame are both parties, pov erty in this country continues to grow ever larger. At the most risk, are the people who our government has left out of the picture, and contiunues to squeeze ever harder. To say this is any political party's fault is wrong, it's the fault of both, to say it's not politicly motivated is wrong, not directly, but it is spurred by political prowess, and indecision over many years. Again, this is nothing short of reveloution. People fighting and killing for basic needs, or a way to obtain money to obtain basic needs.

    March 31, 2010 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rick

    People here saying its rightwing violence,The stupidity of the people in this country amazes me.

    March 31, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. joe

    Sorry to burst your bubbles about civilized societies not needing private gun ownership, but in every country that outlawed guns violent crime went up. Check your facts!! It is ignorance about guns that continue to fuel your agendas. While your checking facts on that subject check how many guns are floating around the U.S. that are not involved in crimes and you may surprise yourself!

    March 31, 2010 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21