March 30th, 2010

At least 9 people shot in D.C.

Nine people were wounded along a city block in southern Washington, D.C., Tuesday night after shooters opened fire on a crowd, police said.

Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the shooting prompted a lengthy police chase that ended in the arrest of three people. Four officers were treated for minor injuries from an accident during the chase.

The victims who were shot near the 5000 block of South Capitol Street included six males and three females, and some were in very serious condition, Lanier said.

A tenth person was shot on nearby Galveston Street, but it wasn't clear whether the two shootings were related.

Lanier decline to give more details, saying it was too early in the investigation.

However, she told reporters that, "We've made a lot of progress to stop gang retaliation and violence and, in the end, if this ends up being some kind of gang retaliation then shame on all of us."

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. Rick (California)

John may prove right, but Kurt?

...that was alright. Not a great deal of reasoned and thought-out commentary on the 'net unfortunately.

Well said.

March 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David

People shot? But that is impossible! Washington DC has the strictest gun control laws in the nation. How can this happen?? But wait! Could it be that criminals don't obey laws?? The only people disarmed and helpless are– by definition– law abiding citizens?
    Nah, lets blame "right wing anger" rather than criminal elements. Much better story then isn't it?

March 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Imonie

Right on Kurt!

March 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David M.

I suspect this has little to do with 'right wing anger', whatever that is. There is no justification for this kind of action. But I'm sure whomever is responsible will have some sort of off the wall political agenda, left wing, right wing, or otherwise.

If anyone dies, the shooter, or shooters, should go straight to the electric chair, or maybe the gallows. I'm quite fed up with supporting this kind of people while they go through endless appeals. Or maybe turn them over to the victims families for about 30 minutes. That will pretty much take care of it.

March 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George Washington

South East DC, typical

March 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. artist

I'm troubled by some of the rhetoric on the left.

Ok, I think we have everything covered.

March 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jimmy

why is it that oftentimes when there's a violent act somewhere a yahoo jumps out of the woodwork and blames it on frothing right-wingers? have you ever watched "right-winger" protests and "left-wing protests?" 90% of the time it's the lefties who are slinging rocks, burning cars, blocking storefronts and tearing up stuff. just sit and watch next time, get rid of your preconceived notion and see who the trouble makers are. I know THIS rant has nothing to do with what happened in DC, but John's drivel needed to be addressed.

March 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jacob

Could have been a cop that went on a fun spree!

March 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sheldon

Not to be insensitive or anything, but since when is a shooting in Washington DC news? It happens almost daily.

March 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

What a shame that with no evidence a group is already being blamed for a horrible crime. I guess we are indeed coming closer and closer to a time when we have to recognize that the words "innocent", "un biased", "fair" and "respect" are removed from the dictionary do to a lack of use or practice. To those family members of these 6 human beings, my heart goes out to you. I hope the person's who are responsible for this crime are captured quickly.

March 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. colonelsalt

Whether or not it's true, to me it says it all that the first thing someone DOES think it is is a right winger rampage. That doesn't bode well for the right wingers.

March 30, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shane

I used to live in Toronto, Canada. I moved because there were too many crazy people. Some weeks there would be innocent people getting stabbed and shot for no reason other than the person committing the acts was mentally unstable. I agree with Kurt and Mark (above) in that it's silly to jump to conclusions when it could just be a case of... schizophrenia or some other mental illness that would take right or left wing supporters out of the picture. Just my 2 cents from Canada.

March 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ron

Go back in your holes fringies. This is not a part of DC where it is likely to be political in nature.

March 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

Wow, that stinks...the Government says that noone is allowed to have guns in D.C. So I guess only the bad guys pack heat. Thanks Uncle Sam for telling me what's best for my family. I believe in the right to bear arms, responsibly. Maybe if good and bad guys were allowed to carry, people would be less willing to brandish openly out of self preservation

March 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rick

The shootings happened tonight, Tuesday, not Monday. 9 people wounded.

March 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |