March 30th, 2010

At least 9 people shot in D.C.

Nine people were wounded along a city block in southern Washington, D.C., Tuesday night after shooters opened fire on a crowd, police said.

Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the shooting prompted a lengthy police chase that ended in the arrest of three people. Four officers were treated for minor injuries from an accident during the chase.

The victims who were shot near the 5000 block of South Capitol Street included six males and three females, and some were in very serious condition, Lanier said.

A tenth person was shot on nearby Galveston Street, but it wasn't clear whether the two shootings were related.

Lanier decline to give more details, saying it was too early in the investigation.

However, she told reporters that, "We've made a lot of progress to stop gang retaliation and violence and, in the end, if this ends up being some kind of gang retaliation then shame on all of us."

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. ERIC

It is what it is. It's a shame one of the 10 didn't shoot back. I'm sure we'll spend some more tax dollars putting the thug up in the iron hotel. I like the comment about blaming it on the surrounding states for their loose gun laws. That was a good one.

March 31, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jen

I would be more than willing to believe that this is just a larger example of the typical night in DC. There are probably shootings there most every night as it is a large city. Do NOT blame this one on politics, whether left or right, until it can be proven. As for the 2nd Amendment's "right to keep and bear arms"... long may it live. I do not have a gun, and do not WANT one. I feel better knowing that I COULD have one if I wanted, instead of knowing that the police and the yahoos who would do me harm are the only ones who have them. The day they take away our guns, we lose any potential to protect ourselves should the need arise, which will certainly be abused by the yahoos who avoid the law, because they are the only ones besides the cops who will have them. And do we really want that?

March 31, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Terry Norris

Check out the class action suit againt the governmentr and church in Canada regarding sexual and phycisal abuse by priests and sometimes nuns in the catholic church. All u have to do is google the "Indian Residential School Class Action Suit"

Seems the church has been doing shady business for a very very long time.

March 31, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adam

Let me guess at there race without a picture...To what is Black Alex! And you are correct for 2000$

March 31, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

@mihalyim Your numbers are rigged. You're lumping in crimes like vandalism and public drunkenness with rape and murder. Redo your numbers distilling for violent crimes per 1000 then comeback and tell us the tally.

By the way, unfortunately this news story is the equivalent of reporting a robbery in SE D.C. this goes on all the time in ones and twos.

March 31, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

I'm certain that the people who committed the shooting purchased their weapons legally. We need to ban guns!

[sarcasm]

March 31, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joe in MI

Nah surely it is the work of the Evil Michigan Militia on vacation in DC

March 31, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gerrit

Democrats, Republicans, Left wingers, Right wingers, people don't fall into the trap....( puting every event into a box) This is about America, our Country that we have to re-build. Listen and read about Ron Paul and his movement. He is the only way out of this mess.........in the past many made fun of him, many ain't laughing anymore.

March 31, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Pro Gun

People- "right to bear arms"......means we have the right to defend ourselves.....last I checked I dont have a nuclear missile in my house....I do, however have guns....

March 31, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Don

@David – That was the most ignorant statement i have ever heard. People don't use automatic rifles to hunt animals and most people don't own them, you have to have a special license and it cost $200. We have the 2nd amendment not just to prevent invading countries, and by the way that even in the 21st century that is a deterent because any invading country knows they would have to deal with 100 million well armed citizens and not just 1.5 million US soldiers. the 2nd amendment is here to protect We the People from a tyrannicle government which we cleary have had with both Bush and Obama. The day the repeale the 2nd amendment is the day the nect American civil war will take place. As Charlton hestn nce said, from my cold dead hands............

Definition of a Tyrannicale government: A government who imposes laws against the wishes f the American peple.

March 31, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. budann

Mercy Sakes Alive
    I thought the DC had one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation – what went wrong?

March 31, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. John the educated

Want to apologize for all Johns here. If you know, D.C., you know this is about gang violence, not right wing violence. (Hint: the writer of the ARTICLE thinks it's about gang voilence!)

March 31, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Larry

Great job, Joe!!! The Supreme Court struck down DC's anti gun laws but the city has decided they don't have to follow that ruling??????

March 31, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Shelly M.

As far as this goes, this was a retaliation killing and it was mostly done by people who support the Democratic party. Overall, this was not politically motivated. I live in DC and I know how it is.

March 31, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Numbskull

Race wars are coming and normal law abiding citizens are going to get caught in the middle. Eventually you won't be able to leave your home without carrying a rifle slung over your shoulder or on the front seat of your car. Like the streets in Mexico or the Middle East, you'll need to be armed and ready at all times to protect yourself, your family and your property. If I don't see it my kids sure will, and they may end up protecting my old self, so any guns I have will get passed to them if I don't ever have a need for them. I'm just afraid if the SHTF when I'm too old to fight back.

March 31, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |