March 30th, 2010

At least 9 people shot in D.C.

Nine people were wounded along a city block in southern Washington, D.C., Tuesday night after shooters opened fire on a crowd, police said.

Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the shooting prompted a lengthy police chase that ended in the arrest of three people. Four officers were treated for minor injuries from an accident during the chase.

The victims who were shot near the 5000 block of South Capitol Street included six males and three females, and some were in very serious condition, Lanier said.

A tenth person was shot on nearby Galveston Street, but it wasn't clear whether the two shootings were related.

Lanier decline to give more details, saying it was too early in the investigation.

However, she told reporters that, "We've made a lot of progress to stop gang retaliation and violence and, in the end, if this ends up being some kind of gang retaliation then shame on all of us."

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. Joe Joe Bean

Look I don’t claim to be right wing or left wing anything, just an honest hard-working average American trying to make a living. With all the rhetoric on each side about the role of government in our lives and each side throwing daggers I can easily sit back and see how “someone” or “some people” can read in to this article way too much.

I, like many people I bet, are just sitting back waiting to see who “fires the first shot” for lack of a better way for me to communicate what I mean.

Trying to stay unbiased, you would all have to agree that there are a lot of really pissed-off people in this country, for many different reasons. I think we’re all on edge.

When I first saw this article I first thought, “oh great, what person shot what senator or political official”, it made me worry for a minute.

Call me what you want, make whichever comments you would like, but as soon as a major even takes places from either of the extreme sides; lines will be drawn and we all will have to take sides. I know what side I’m on already. Everyone reading this needs to choose his or hers. Choose carefully.

Best and warmest regards.

March 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. B

Seriously, I really am not a fan of right wingers. But what makes you think this has anything to do with them, or politics in general.

March 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dennis

My money says not one of those unknown suspects has a valid firearms permit, or a legally acquired firearm.

March 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

If its South, its probably not political. Now if it was NW, I'd be concerned. I do, however, fear that all this heated rhetoric is headed toward some kind of tragic catharthis. Friends, lets start start with respecting one another. Both sides are part of the problem. We need to make "us" bigger.

March 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obvious

I agree with John and I feel for you all who don't live in the real world but create your own fantasy worlds where you believe everything is great in the nice communities that you live in and keep believing that everything is fair and balanced! Thanks john for stating the obvious and the reason why they have not said who it is yet is because they know the power of copycat crimes so they have to figure out a way to tell this story other than the war within our country has officially started! Governments against militias and terrorist and terrorist and militias against everyone who is not on their side! I fear for the future of this country and I hope you all are prepared for the chaos that's has arrived!

March 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David

David, I am offended by your statement. I am a hunter, so was my dad, grandfather,etc. I do not support the NRA, but game populations are in better shape now than ever. And it is because of the support of hunters like me and my fore Fathers. We have done more to better the environment than any single group.

March 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jmark

so capital st area one of the worst in d c with whole city blocks in that area all night open air drug markets. chances are shootings have nothing to do with politics, but you can bet anyone who lives in or frequents this area definitely not right wingers

March 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian from Washington

This is a tragedy - and I live in Washington, so I take it very much to heart (unlike others here who are just trying to press their politics). But Washington is not in the Top Ten of deadliest cites in America, not even close. Check it out. Florida and Oklahoma have cities with much higher violence and random deaths that DC.

March 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Damian

This looks awful to the rest of the world. It seems like all you wanna do it "Bang, bang, bang, bang". Don't your Republicans and Democrats have a solution for this? I don't even think this happens in Baghdad or Kabul as much as DC, anymore.

March 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. spokez

well it does not make a difference the people who are pissed are going to do this regardless of the high grade and high tech army the us has so good luck folks this is just the starting of a grim sitiuation. 🙁

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GP

It's hard to not blame right-wingers, Tea Partiers after all the statements (threats) they made after the Health Care bill was passed. It's a tense time for america.

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kenny

You freak'n Liberals are unbelievable. Perhaps we should spend $10M on each of the 10 and try to rehab them because their mommies smoke crack and a genetic DNA test would reveal they're all related to Ted Kennedy! Hahahaha!

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. john smith

JW: what does a shooting in the ghetto have to do with abortion or threats against congressmen?

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Obvious

Thanks John For Being First!

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marla

What's most revealing about this whole string is that it doesn't take much to set people to attacking each other. Nobody has any facts – not even a rumor! – about what happened, and yet many of these posts are incredibly hostile. Chill out!

March 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |