March 30th, 2010

'Stand and Deliver' teacher Jaime Escalante is dead

[Updated 9:39 p.m.] Read the full CNN.com story

Jaime Escalante, the math teacher portrayed in "Stand and Deliver," died Tuesday after a battle with cancer, according to Sony Films.

Edward James Olmos, who played Escalante in the 1988 movie, disclosed earlier this month that Escalante was "seriously ill" with cancer.

Olmos held a fundraiser in Los Angeles last week to help Escalante's family pay for his medical care.

- By Alan Duke, CNN

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Carol

Jaime taught a class which I attended once. He was an excellent teacher!

March 30, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. KYTeacher

How sad...I had been inspired as a student to do more and even years later inspired as a teacher to help lift those students who think they can't to a point where they can fly.
    Sr. Escalante you will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.

March 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ricke

A great man has left his mark on our world!

March 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MrpoliceMan

A negative times a negative equals a positive.

Rest in Peace

El senor tiene un lugar especialmente para ti.

March 30, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chuck B

I saw the movie, rest in peace Mr. Escalante.

March 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MiL

RIP, Mr. Escalante. Even though I had never met you in person nor was I in any of your classes, I thought you inspired so many young people. That was a great film about your life and how you inspired.

March 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wes

A number of my junior high students at Belvedere Jr. High School went on to attend his classes when they graduated to Garfield High School. I had the opportunity to visit with him a few times in the 1980s when I did an administrative internship at Garfield H.S. He was due all the respect he received from his students.

March 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Haydee

Mr. Escalante was a very inspirational man. God bless him and comfort his family.

March 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. R. Larsen, M.Ed., Retired Teacher

Jaime was a gaint among our profession. His inspiration caused many young students to look upon themselves as capable and worthy of achieving society's greatest goal: education. God Bless Jaime Escalante. His legacy will live on.

March 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank Louis

"Say it with me.. A negative plus a negative is a positive!" Awesome movie, great man.. prayers to his family.

March 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jayBronx

'Stand and Deliver' is an excellent movie. jaime escalante is an inspiration. he will be missed

March 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Juls

I first read "Jaime Escalante, The Best Teacher in America" in 1991, when I was attending The University of Akron. That is the first book that ever inspired me. He made me realize that EVERY child can be saved.
    I am very sad to hear Jaime lost his battle with Cancer. Just one of the over 10 million people that will die from Cancer this year – over 560,000 in the US alone.

Cancer sucks.
    Fight Like Susan
    LiveStrong

March 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marianela Rodo

Teacher JaimeEscalante has always shown his talent teaching and beyond...He taught hopeless young people to believe in themselves as nowadays many Bolivian teachers do in Bolivia.

March 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

I'm sorry, but how lazy are you when you can't even bother to check common resources for just the slightest bit of pertinent information. Mr. Escalante was born in Bolivia, moved to the US in 1964, began teaching at Garfield HS in Los Angeles in 1974, effectively retired in 2001, and passed away 3/30/2010 of bladder cancer at the age of 79.

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bob

Too bad he apparently didn't have top quality medical insurance, to pay for the cost of his care and treatment. Teachers in my state have medical insurance that pays for the costs of illnesses like this. Jaime deserved more from those that employed him.

March 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |