March 30th, 2010

'Stand and Deliver' teacher Jaime Escalante is dead

[Updated 9:39 p.m.] Read the full CNN.com story

Jaime Escalante, the math teacher portrayed in "Stand and Deliver," died Tuesday after a battle with cancer, according to Sony Films.

Edward James Olmos, who played Escalante in the 1988 movie, disclosed earlier this month that Escalante was "seriously ill" with cancer.

Olmos held a fundraiser in Los Angeles last week to help Escalante's family pay for his medical care.

- By Alan Duke, CNN

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Ruben

i understand he taught in El Paso TX. i believe my older brother, older sister, and myself had him for a teacher. He was very good to his pupils, and an excellent teacher,

My condolences to the family. We pray our Lord helps keep you in strength and faith.

March 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. boner

he is eating taco's with the angels now. RIP my friend.

March 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Malik

a good man who tried to make a differnts an did!!!

March 30, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. spamgleredo

The man and the movie were and are truly inspirational. Vaya con Dios, Jaime.

March 30, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dean Chavez

Must have shown that movie a dozen times this year to my students. Very inspiring and good hearted man. The world lost a good one.

March 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BARBARA LEE

I am sorry about his passing. We need more teachers like him. RIP Jaime.

March 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michelle

Bless his heart :'(

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Roland Jones

I had the good fortune of hearing Mr. Escalante give an inspirational speech at a university commencement not too many years ago. His words were very genuine as he gave encouragement to the graduating students at National University (many who were moving on to careers as teachers). I was so impressed with the way he connected with his audience. It wasn't because a movie made him famous... it was because of the passion he had for teaching and the ability he had to influence young lives and change them forever. The world lost a good man when Mr. Escalante passed into the next life.

March 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Catina Top

The education world lost an inspiration today! RIP Mr. Escalante!!

March 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stan

The world is a sadder and poorer place. I am a math teacher at a communitty college, and Mr. (Senor) Escalante was one of my true heroes, one of my foremost role models. My sympathy goes out not only to his family, but to all the students who will never be touched by his caring and his enthusiasm.

March 30, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. W. Imler

There is hardly a day that goes by when I do not feel a loss of some sort but I can usually brush then off, not so in this case. You inspired us Mr. Escalante! Best regards and best wishes to your family.

March 30, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cheri'-Louise

This man was amazing! He consistently inspired others, the young as well as their elders; from his youth to his old age. Someone to truly admire and honor, he inspired so many of us to be proud of who we are and to never give up in our endeavors. At a critical time in my life I learned through his example to truly accept the authoritative trait I was blessed with and to continue to deal with the children in my care with a balance of tenderness and strictness. I thank the Lord for sharing Jaime Escalante with us for time that He did.

March 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marilyn

The US has lost an Awesome teacher. I decided to become a teacher after watching his life story. I'm saddened to hear the news about his passing. My condolences to his family.

March 31, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. simplefact

I don't believe in heaven, hell, or afterlife but if heaven existed, Edward James Olmos (a.k.a. teacher Jaime Escalante) is there! You are a wonderful human being.

March 31, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dingo

Whenever someone such as him is lost, their ideas will live on. Indeed, a very inspirational and selfless individual. I wish the family sincere condolences and the assurance that their loved one will continue to live on through the individuals that were fortunate enough to benefit from his commitment. We should all strive to give even a small fraction of what he was able to. The world would and can be a better place if we follow his example and pair it with our own strengths and experiences. Viva Jaime!

March 31, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |