March 31st, 2010

Rescuers search for sailor after crash in N. Arabian Sea

[Posted at 1:51 p.m.] Three of the four crew members aboard a military aircraft that crashed have been rescued and returned to the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

All three were in "good condition, without significant injuries," the Fifth Fleet said in a later statement Wednesday. The three were rescued within 32 minutes of the crash.

[Posted at 9:50 a.m] Rescuers are looking for a crew member from an aircraft that crashed in the North Arabian Sea on Wednesday, the U.S. Fifth Fleet said.

An E-2C Hawkeye from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crashed while conducting duties in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the name used for the war in Afghanistan.

Three of the four crew members have been rescued and returned to the Eisenhower. Search-and-rescue efforts are under way for the fourth.

The crew "performed a controlled bailout" after the craft "experienced mechanical malfunctions," the U.S. Navy said.

The E-2C Hawkeye is a twin turboprop aircraft that performs early warning and air traffic control functions.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • World
  1. Cathy Schwartz

The missing sailor is my neighbor in Columbus, Ohio. The entire Columbus community is praying for his safe return

April 1, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joanne Maxwell

As a Navy mom, I,too, am praying for his safe return. My son was with the Eisenhower Strike Force during last year's deployment. He has many friends aboard that ship. May God be with them all, and their families.

April 1, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MC, Great Britain

Fingers crossed for his safe return,

April 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kate

My sister is currently on the Dwight D. Eisenhower. Please pray for the missing sailor's save return, and pray for all the men and women in the military. Thank You to all military personell!

April 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

My brother is too! God guide them somehow to the soldier and may he be ok!

April 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sm

I know some of the Navy that are searching for the missing Sailor. They are doing everything they can with little rest and many planes. I hope they find him and I hope everyone can return safely.

April 2, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. US Marine

Having been in ground combat I must say, I sure hope and pray for a fellow brother in arms. On the ground you always have men on your side to help you up if you get knocked down, but in the water its a whole different game. Being psychologically tough is this young man's best strategy. Until he comes home for Easter, I will pray for his survival and well-being.

God Bless their family and Semper Fidelis!

U.S. MARINE

April 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tiffany

The love of my life is aboard the Dwight D Eisenhower. Until today I didn't know why I hadn't heard from him. I'm still worried sick and am praying for them all. This is a tragedy that never should have happened! I am praying for the missing sailor and his family!
    God Bless u all who put your lives on the line for our country and the American people.
    May god keep you safe and bring you home to us soon. J I love you!

April 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Paula S

I will pray for him. I just got out of the navy and I was trained to try to find a person in the water the way that they are looking for him right now.

April 3, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. K.Haughton

I am currently a sailor of the Eisenhower and have been for 4 years and will be returning to the ship in a week. My prayer goes out to the missing pilot and his family, and my fellow sailors.

April 3, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. ChicagoRich

I will add my prayers for the safe return of this sailor. My thoughts will be with his family and friends on this Easter holiday. There are many people like him who go into harms way that enable me to enjoy a nice and peaceful holiday at home with my family, and I cannot forget that on this otherwise relaxing day. Rich

April 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Josie L. Prescott

My husband is also on this deployment his second on this carrier. He has always done a west pac cruise this is his second Med crusie, He says its never easy when you loose a sailor a brother at arms. hits close to home...Our family is praying for their safe return...

April 5, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |