April 1st, 2010

U.S. warship captures suspected pirate mother ship

The USS Nicholas came under fire from a pirate vessel and then captured it.

A U.S. warship sank a pirate skiff and captured a pirate mother ship in the Indian Ocean on Thursday, according to a statement from U.S. Naval Forces Africa.

The frigate USS Nicholas came under fire from a pirate vessel shortly after midnight in international waters west of the Seychelles, according to a U.S. military statement.

The Nicholas returned fire and pursued the skiff as it fled, capturing it about 90 minutes later. Three suspected pirates aboard the skiff were taken into custody, along with two others aboard a suspected pirate mother ship that was nearby.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • Pirates • World
  1. C.T.

Why would anyone shoot at a U.S. Navy warship? Seems kind of dumb if you ask me?

2. kevin

A tiny skiff was sent out to sink a mighty warship. This would have been legendary if the plan worked. But this story is about reality trumping fantasy... Go reality!!

3. Kasier Soze

They attacked the US Warship for propaganda purposes. Those morons are recruiting morons. So when you are competing with the USA you are in the big leagues – there is nothing to loose. Besides they believe the USA will treat them right.

Okay powering up the C130 now.......like shooting rotten apples in a barrel. Sat pictures can trace where they launched – that village needs the to awaken to the fresh smell of napalm in the morning.

Soze

4. G F

This is the funniest thing I read all week! lol I'm rofl @ these comments "walk the plank" arrrrrgg! Made me think of Spongebob! lol

5. Simon

I hope this is not an April Fool's Joke...!!
    If not, GO NAVY!!!!

6. David

What? That's the entire story? Terrible lame drive-by reporting by CNN. CNN would publish a longer story of Obama hanging curtains. This story is what government should be doing in the first place. Way to go to our U.S. Navy who I do not apologize for.

7. migel

With their attacking of a war ship and flippant disreguard for law and order,I wonder if they are related to congress or maybe Obama himself.

8. John A

Little different than firing on a slow, unarmed freighter isn't it you scum monkeys? These Navy guys actually look forward to shooting maritime morons out of the water, bring it on....

9. frankh

Statements of events released by the U.S. Armed forces cannot be considered truthful under any circumstances. Ask the family of Pat Tillman.

10. Rainbrew

Long overdue, get rid of them all. Send them to Davey Jones Locker at the bottom of the sea

11. eric

Don't capture 'em. Sink 'em. The traditional (and best) way to deal with pirates. Capturing them just creates headaches.

12. arathan

lol seriously!?! whoin there right mind would attack a navy warship in open water and expect to get away with it. that would be like attacking a sniper with an air-rifle.

good on the american´s for kickin ass

13. annabelle

Rock on Navy!! Maybe this will send a message to others to not attack ships in the region.

14. David

You gotta be one really stupid pirate to attack a warship. Don't bother capturing them,

April 1, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Trey

I think it's cool that we still have things like piracy in this world. Adds a certain excitement to our news. These guys don't kill anyone – just hold ships for ransom. I know it's not "right" but whatever. I just hope we keep kicking their @SSes but not enough to totally wipe them out. This is just good clean fun (with respect to all the truly HORRIBLE things happening out there). I know if it happened to me I would change my tune – but it's not – so I won't. Am I alone in feeling this way?

April 1, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |