April 6th, 2010

L.A. mayor looking at shutting city down two days a week

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wants a plan to be drawn up to shut the city down for two days a week beginning April 12 because of their budget crisis.

"There are no easy decisions or simple ways to solve this budget crisis,” Mayor Villaraigosa said in a statement. “But as the CEO of this great city, it is my responsibility to make these difficult but necessary decisions to steer the city out of this crisis and onto solid financial ground."

Villaraigosa said he hoped a plan could quickly be developed so they could calculate how much money it would save the city while they hold emergency meetings to try and figure out how to replenish the city's general fund.

"We can no longer wait. We can no longer keep saying no," Villaraigosa said. "We must act now."

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • U.S.
  1. Jason

How did California get in such a mess to begin with?

April 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. adamboy87

Ppl who are talking about illegals should get out of this country too. this country was founded on illegal immigration. as for talking crap to dems, look at our (CAs) stupid governor, last time i checked he was a republican. maybe this isnt all a city level issue, but perhaps a state and national issue. i agree that we need to legalize pot. but all this crap about illegals is ignorant crap. i highly doubt ppl would want to do the work that "illegals" do. If they kicked out all the illegals, rich white ppl would have to clean their own houses, I doubt that would ever happen.

April 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vince

One only has to look at the Daily News website to look up the salaries some of these City employess are making. I used to be a City employee and can atest to the waste that goes on in the City. So many people making so much money and very little productivity, it's absolutely ridiculous. About time reality caught up with the Civil Service. Incredible the number of people making over 100K at the City. That does not include 9/80 work schedule, 15 paid holidays, liberal sick time, generous pension plan, etc, all paid for by taxes, fees, etc. Time to wake up people, this is about government/bureaucratic WASTE not illegal aliens. Heck, they should hire a hard working undocumented Mexican immigrant for $7 hour to pick up trash as opposed to paying a civil servant $35 who only works at 20% productivity. Civil Service is a cancer on society, it's all about they want more and do less. And Obama has created MORE government jobs?!?! If I remember correctly, when the government is the largest employer, isn't that basically a SOCIALIST state at best, or COMMUNIST state at worst? Accountability was tried at the City during Riordan's tenure and it failed. Maybe time to re-visit the idea of ACCOUNTABILITY.

April 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ishdkauteb

umm.... yeah! i can see that they are cuttin' off working days but allow more over time.... what does that mean?

April 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Why doesn't the city stop providing services to non US citizens.. that'd generate a savings. Quit the mentality that everyone should get everything for free.

April 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gilp

Why do people always throw illeagals into any discussion about finance in Ca. If im not mistaken Ca is not the only state with illeagals. I went to high school in tx and i believe there were more illeagals there. The state is just poorly managed, blaming illeagals is just an easy thing to do for people who have nothing else solid to blame.
    What about the film industry, or all the LEGAL people who were selling properties to people who could not afford them and created the current economic situation in the world.

April 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. skeets2908

somebody thought taxing was a bad idea, as much as we hate them they are a necessity.

April 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. winston5

too bad it's not Novemeber when we legalize week here in CA, that's a lifesaver of a revenue stream for the city/county/state.

April 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John in AZ

I love L.A. "We love it!" 🙂

April 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. fxdidan

Put the blame on the democrats and the republicans,they both have taken money from big corporations.Neither care about the working stiff.I say junk government employee unions,all they want is more and more money,an bigger pensions.More layoffs are coming,toyota just shut Ca. last auto plant,18,000-20,000 people are losing their jobs.

April 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. McAdoo

"Is this including mail delivery and emergency services etc?
    Posted by: chad"

You can't be serious!? Can you?!

The mail is delivered by the Feds not the city government. Does LA not provide emergency services on the weekend? Thats why fires only happen Mon-Fri, no crimes are committed either, and no one needs emergency medical care on the weekends. Since you don't have these 2 days a week, you won't notice the other 2 days you don't have them either.

April 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy D

A great CEO has the wisdom and foresight to make changes before a crisis.
    An average CEO has the wisdom and foresight to make changes during a crisis.
    An incompetent CEO never HAD the wisdom or foresight to make change until it was too late, but hey, at least he looks good in a suit & has a nice smile.
    Let’s see: $260 M budget shortfall, double digit utility increases looming, wage cuts, furloughs, companies leaving in droves, unemployment at 12.5%
    Someone better tell Villaraigosa, that in the real world the stock holders hold the CEO accountable!!

April 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sam F.

What I am trying to figure out is this....I often wonder, how is it that the state that serves as a habitation to those celebrities and rich people who make more than $250,000 a year end up GOING BROKE and having to resort to such DRASTIC measures while other states aren't even having to do this yet?!?!

I mean, seriously, the funding of benefits for illegals is NOT the major problem here...it's the AMERICAN CELEBRITIES who feel like they are invincible to the taxation system!

April 6, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Michael from SoCal

I cannot believe the extreme hate and prejudice that I am seeing on some of these posts. Norm- really, LA's problems are due to illegal aliens? Richard Dragon- really, scientists confirmed that aliens eat beans? My family has been in the area we now call Colorado for over 200 years. I am a hispanic. I have a college degree and I am a CPA. I am a Gulf War veteran. Finally, I eat beans. To all of you bigots out there I am your worst nightmare, an educated Hispanic. But you backwood bumpkins would believe that I am an illegal alien based purely on my appearance. Get out of the public discussion if you can't provide meaningful solutions....

April 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. J. Alexander

I don't think this is really that big of a deal. If it comes to blossom, it will just mean less trash pickup days and more days that the DMV is not open, things like that.
    I mean, it's really just whatever. This will pass eventually and all will be well in some way or another.
    I don't dig on the cats saying that we are in this mess because we elect "liberal democrats", that has nothing to do with it. Mississippi is in the same boat and that are conservative as heck.
    You guys need to stop spazzing out.

April 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |