April 8th, 2010

Two U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq

Two U.S. soldiers were killed in combat operations while on patrol in northern Iraq, military officials said Thursday.

Five more soldiers injured in the attack Wednesday were undergoing treatment at a military facility, U.S. forces in Iraq said in a statement.

Military officials did not say where the violence happened. The soldiers' names were not released pending notification of next of kin.
No further information was released.

Post by:
Filed under: Iraq • Military • World
  1. JW

Do people read their comments before they hit submit? It's ridiculous how many people can't write complete sentences or even rational thoughts. For all the posts that talk about how this was a useless news story–what are you doing with your life? There is protocol involved with military deaths. Of course the news is going to post whatever info they may have at the time; but don't say that deaths of unknown soldiers is "not news."

Their are supports and opponents of the mission overseas–and yes, their are pros and cons to these missions–but for the love of God, please don't express your disagreements about the war on stories such as this, it's not the proper time or venue.

April 8, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Greg Carter

I imagine many people in the US still believe that Saddam and Iraq had something to do with the Twin Towers 911. Sorry folks, the perps were Saudis, not Iraquis. Saddam may not have been the "world's best" dictator, but he had nothing to do with 911. Unfortunately, some 4,000 US soldiers have died in Iraq for pissant Geo Bush's glorious personal revenge. The job isn't done yet...? What a joke. While people whine about the dead soldier, no-one speaks for the millions of Iraquis who have been displaced from their home country by our senseless invasion and occupation of a soverign nation.

April 8, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Robert

My sincerest sympathy to the families of these brave soldiers. To all our men and women who have served and are serving, we Vietnam veterans are proud of you.
    Now we need to bring these men and women home.
    However this war in Iraq is useless and we are not going to change a civilization by doing their fighting. We had a chance in Afghanistan to get Ben Laden but Bush decided to turn into Iraq and start a war we did not need to engage in at the time. The lies, the fabrications and the distortions given to the American People may never come to surface. The sadness exists that we are losing our men and women to a war we have no real chance to win. The people are so primitive that their tribal ways are not going to change. How many countries have tried to fight in Afghanistan only to find to way to succeed? Britian, Russia, Now the U.S. There are some things in this world that will never change and this,sadly, may be the leading example.

April 8, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Trina

I work on a military installation in Va and directly with the soldiers that go and arrive back from Iraq and Afghanistan. I have gotten to know many of them personally along with their families. It is very disturbing to see some of these men and women come back very mentally scared and seemingly not the same people that left. Some of them find it difficult to just get through a whole day and function as normal adults. I ask myself, what is the quality of life at this point? But, in spite of this, they are being sent back for second and third tours. It is really heart wrenching to see. I believe in this country and all that it stands for also but I cannot accept that fact that our soldiers and being sent out as if they are mere robots!! Definitely not feeling it!!

April 8, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Zeek

I spent 4 years working as a civilian contractor in Iraq. The Iraq people don't want us there, and have never wanted us there. I will tell you all this from a firsthand perspective. There are a lot of things that go on over there that the news does not report. if they did you all would be outraged.

April 8, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Grace

I would really like to know where the location of this attack happened. My husband is in Northern Iraq and was suppose to go on a mission Wednesday. I haven't talked to him since Tuesday. I am praying for the soldiers and their families. May God be with each and every one of them.

April 8, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. gloria

So is my son...waiting for word.

April 8, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Grace

I was able to talk to my husband a few hours ago. He is okay, but he was not allowed to talk about this news. I am praying very hard for the families of the fallen and the ones who are injured. So sad.

April 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kathryn

my hubby left on that same mission. returned earlier today, but no news to provide. God bless all our men and women serving our country so proudly.

April 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. An Army Wife

The soldiers were from 3rd ID, 1-64 AR based in Ft. Stewart, GA. I know because they were in my husband's company. This is my husband's second tour to Iraq and he has lost a large number of friends to this war. For those who feel it is right to say they died for nothing you are disrepecting these soldiers. I believe if nothing else they died doing their job just like a firefighter who runs into a burning building is doing theirs. One of the soldiers who died yesterday has a wife who is pregnant. Think about that child who will never met his father and try telling him his father died for nothing. And for anyone who thinks the military is hiding deaths obviously doesn't know military communities. Everyone will know if someone has died so if they were hiding a death we would know about it. It has been a hard day for me thinking about these soldiers and their families and has brought back many bad memories from my husband first deployment. I just hope they are okay since I have not met them personally.

April 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jack

wow,,, my post was removed, I guess, because I had the nerve to call out Mortimer Da Luvly on his/her tasteless post saying that these two soldiers losing their lives was "no great loss",,,,, but yet the editors see it fit to allow their post to remain.

How flipping politically correct is this country going to get? By all means let's not insult someone else, regardless if what they say is a slap in the face to the families who's children have paid the ultimate price in defense of this country. I guess if I don't want to be censored, I should be rude, tasteless and anti US ????

Brilliant choice on who has a right to speak their minds on this forum CNN !

Again,, to the families who have lost their children. My son was a classmate of one of these brave men while at West Point, and again at Ranger School.

The loss of these two heroes was indeed a great loss,,,,,, The fact that Mortimer Da Luvly is still taking up space on this planet is the great loss,

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |