April 8th, 2010

U.S. military at Kyrgyz base helping hospitals after unrest

A U.S. Air Force sergeant at the Manas Air base turns over supplies to local hospitals.

U.S. military personnel at Manas Air Base in Kyrgyzstan were helping local hospitals cope with victims of the violent political unrest in the central Asian country.

Medical and humanitarian supplies gathered on the base were turned over to Kyrgyzstan’s National Surgical Center and the National Center of Traumatology and Orthopedics at the request of the local hospitals, according to the Manas Air Base’s Web site.

Members of the 376th Expeditionary Medical Group were able to gather and turn over the supplies, including bandages, sutures, antibiotics and antiseptics, in a little over an hour, according to the Web site.

Opponents of the Kyrgyzstan government of President Kurmanbek Bakiev claimed Thursday to be in control of the country after a wave of protests that had left at least 75 people dead and hundreds injured.

The U.S. air base in the country has been a main way station for the U.S. and NATO military effort in Afghanistan.

The base, known as the Transit Center at Manas, handled the transit of more than 50,000 U.S. and allied troops to Afghanistan in March, according to the base’s Web site.

Post by:
Filed under: Kyrgyzstan • World
  1. World voyager

These unrest have little to do with the US. People, please stop trying to make every world event about the US. The fact is that the coup came about because the president was more like a facist dictator then a president and he had it coming to him. He sold governement industries and utilities to friends and relatives. Then they raised utility prices to a point were people could not afford to live. Wouldn't you be angry?

As you can see (if you read the other articles), one of his former supporters and former ministers, is now claiming to be the interim president until real elections can be held. They just want democracy!!!!!!!
    As for the US Air Base their, any US Veteran (like myself, GO ARMY!, HOOAH!) will tell you that if the local bussinesess now whats good for them, they fight tooth and nail to keep the US Military there. Everyone loves dollar being spent in their Economy, just ask the South Koreans around SOUL, South Korea, or the people around any old, shut down Military base in the US.

April 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Air Force Mom

I am proud too of their humanitarian efforts. My son is at Manas now.

April 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

It seems odd to see this story, as I was deployed there when Manas (then known as Peter J Ganci Air Base, (after the fallen Chief of the NYFD) opened. The people were friendly and we did not have to fear going to Downtown Biskek. I pray daily for my fellow airmen there and hope that all turns out well. Manas IS a vital resource fort the Air Force and the US in general. I can say with certainty that we used to have a good relationship with the people of that country. I hope that it continues.

April 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Air Force Mom

Another shout out for all the troops! God bless you alll! My son is in Afghanistan in the middle of nowhere for God knows how long and I hope this political crap going on doesn't get in the way of him and all the troops getting what they need! I thank you all for your service and bravery you are what makes America what it is!

April 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kimber

I love the fact that we have troops to defend our country. I know that they are helping us stay protected. More credit to my husband that is over there now. I miss him alot, and it bothers me when I see stuff and here about this kindof stuff. Stay safe babe, I love you!

April 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. YAVONNE relyea

I don't know what our governemtn is thinking over there, they need to get the troops out of there as soon as possible. Why put their lives at risk for someone else and they aren't even related to any of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mindy1

I love our troops, and I wish them well

April 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. angry person

everybody including the media need to shut their mouths about how vital manas is to the U.S. and NATO forces you know there are more eyes that look at this crap than you can even imagine. Why doesn't anybody think about keeping their mouths shut anymore?

April 9, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Air Force girlfriend

Prayers and kudos going out to Manas Air Force Base. My boyfriend is there now. Instead of bashing and talking about who is influencing who, let's focus on what this article is about: OUR TROOPS! They are over there protecting the freedom that we have. They didn't choose to be there or any place where there's war/violence, so let's focus on those who have to bear the burden of our country's decisions...

My prayers are with you...

April 9, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. U.S. Citizen

I for one am happy to see people willing to fight for their freedom. I can understand that Russia may not like having an american transient center so close to home. That said I believe that this conflict is the direct result of a corrupt leader and his cronies. I pray that the humble people of Kyrgyzstan can gain a voice in their country without being afraid for their lives. As for our troops, I don't believe there is much of a threat to them. Be grateful you don't have to use guns and rocks just for your voice to be heard.

April 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |