April 9th, 2010

Grandmom sends adopted boy back to Russia

A 7-year-old Russian boy adopted by an American family last year was put on a return flight to Moscow this week because of violent and psychotic behavior, according to a Tennessee grandmother.

The child showed up unannounced at Russia's child protection ministry Thursday, triggering an international investigation.

"We are now investigating the circumstances of the boy's return to see if any crimes were committed," said U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle. "We are also in close contact with the Russian government on all aspects of the case, and we know that he is being well cared for.

Nancy Hansen, the Tennessee woman who put Justin Hansen on the plane in Washington, insisted she did not abandon the child, but was following instructions from a lawyer she found online.

Hansen told CNN that she was concerned about her family's safety after a series of violent incidents and threats.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. dee

This is a child not a puppy that can be just dropped off... These people are crazy

April 9, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. desert voice

No doubt in my mind that serious crimes were committed. The greatest of them all is the abandonment of a child in great need of support! That is in itself a crime against humanity! I know this first hand, because my own parents had dumped me in a Chilean hotel without money and without knowing Spanish. This can be very traumatic to a child! In this case, crimes were committed by the grandmother, the American and Russian embassies, the Child Services and the airline which transported this boy back to Russia! Above all, a crime was committed against God the Father, Who is our model of Fatherhood! Obviously, this grandmother was unfit to be parent without a man in the house!

April 10, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. jeri barrows

While I understand the outrage; I think this boy was done a huge favor! If the adopted mom no longer wanted to parent him; he is much better off. People who do not understand the responsibilities of raising children should not be allowed to keep them. Having a child is a privilege. Also if as the boy says, the adppted mom was abusing him; she should face charges..

April 10, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nancy Krempa

Six months. They "tried" for all of SIX MONTHS with this poor kid. Where is the outrage for THAT? There are so many services available, which a licensed nurse was SURELY aware of, that would provide assistance for a troubled child in this situation. Most of them, though, wouldn't be able to "fix" the kid in only six months... perhaps that's where the problem was for these people. They couldn't get him "fixed" as soon as THEY wanted, so they returned him like damaged goods.

The more I hear about people like these, the less I like humanity these days. Oh, and I have my own problem kids, so I'm WELL aware of the help that's available... these morons didn't even TRY. They deserve all the condemnation that can be heaped on their heads... along with any criminal charges that are applicable.

April 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Teri Fain

This boy 7, named Artoyem AKA Justin was barely in the US long enough to learn basic English. I know Tennessee is not like NY or DC but I am sure there would have been a child psychologist somewhere near who spoke Russian and could have worked with this boy. I am an adoptive mother of 3 older adopted children and the first thing we did was set up a sport net work of Russian speakers. It took a village to raise a child. Especially until they became proficient in English.

The other piece of this story is all this woman had to do to disrupt the adoption in the US was to give this child to here local social services agency. There are people out there that do want to take these children and try and re home them in a therapeutic family.

April 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stacet Thomas

I agree with Nancy– Six months – that is NO time at all. I am stunned at that, most anyone who goes through international adoption should know that it takes time for a child to adjust to being uprooted from their home country, taken away from all that they know- to a place where the people do not speak your own language. How scared he must have been. I understand that his actions were probably very frightening and disturbing to the family- but they were never alone, there are so many helps out there! I am outraged and I sure hope that this incident doesn't boil over so much that other countries cut back on adoptions from U.S. families. Furthermore, my heart goes out to the families that are already in the Russian adoption program – it is a long wait to adopt and when something like this happens your heart stops for a moment!

April 11, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |