April 9th, 2010
07:07 PM ET

Rescue teams prepare to re-enter mine

[Updated 9:38 p.m.] Rescuers expect to find out by about
midnight whether any of the four missing miners is still alive, West Virginia
Gov. Joe Manchin said Friday night.

[Posted 7:07 p.m.] Rescue teams geared up to make another attempt Friday to search for possible survivors at a West Virginia mine where an explosion earlier this week killed 25 miners.

"We're basically in a point of going back in again," Kevin Stricklin of the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration said at a Friday afternoon news conference.

Four miners are missing after a massive underground blast Monday at the Upper Big Branch Mine that killed 25 miners and injured two. The cause of the blast is unknown, and state and federal officials have pledged a full investigation.

Stricklin said 16 rescuers will again search for the missing miners, after they were pulled back earlier in the day because of smoke. The teams were also evacuated from searching Thursday after it was determined that noxious gas levels were high enough to cause another blast.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • West Virginia
soundoff (No Responses)

Comments are closed.