April 9th, 2010

Sources: Stupak retiring from Congress

Bart Stupak came under fire for his support of the Obama administration's health care proposal.

[Updated at 9:52 a.m.] Tea Party Express spokesman Levi Russell said the group has been the only one bringing "major national attention" to Congressman Bart Stupak and believes his apparent decision to retire reflects his movement's clout.

Russell said Stupak had been "well-aware" that the Express has been "barnstorming" the state's Upper Peninsula to raise "awareness" of what he called the congressman's "duplicitous conduct."

[Posted at 8:34 a.m.] Nine-term Democratic Congressman Bart Stupak of Michigan will reveal Friday he is retiring from Congress, several Democratic sources close to Stupak tell CNN.

The anti-abortion Democrat has been facing opposition from both the right and the left for his 11th-hour deal with the White House to support the administration's health care legislation. He struck the deal because, he said, he was convinced that the measure bans federal funding for abortion.

Stupak first informed Democratic leaders last week that he was considering retiring, and he received calls from President Barack Obama, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and others urging him to run again.

Democratic sources in Washington and Michigan say they fear losing Stupak, a historically popular Democrat in a sprawling conservative district, will mean likely losing his seat to the Republicans.

According to one Democratic source familiar with his plans, Stupak is expected to make the case that he is leaving because he has accomplished what he went to Washington in 1992 to do - pass health care reform.

He will also say he considered retiring several times in the past.

1. John

I personally want to thank him before he leaves for once and for all destroying the myth of the pro-life democrat.

April 9, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. jaylin

Congressman Stupak sold out his beliefs for $796,000 for his district...so it seems money counts for a vote in Congress. I think it is excellent news that he is retiring, since he voted on something that he does not believe in...and I believe that by November people will vote more democrats out of office due to their irrational behavior. I used to be Democrat, not anymore, I am now Independent. I am from Michigan, but I will be voting for Republicans this year, because I do not believe that the people who work, gain success, should be punished for slackers who do not work, or get an education to improve themselves. I was not born in money, and I had to earn living and education on my own, and I recent that I have to lift the lazy people with my taxes for them to get benefits.

April 9, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. chiu

After he help passed this big health bill he is now retire? He must got a lucrative job offer before he signed the bill. All the Congress are the same, they work for themselves rather for the good of the America.

April 9, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. km1550

How much you wanna bet his C-Street Family affiliation has a sordid story to be told.

April 9, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kelley Hannah, Knoxville, TN

Another one bites the dust!

April 9, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wes410

Although he was pivotal in helping us pass healthcare this year, I say good riddance. This guy is an anti-abortion conservative Democrat wacko. Michigan can choose from a few hundred people better suited to the job who won't push their religious views down the throat of my government.

April 9, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan Bui

Dear American, Mr Stupak knew that he had done a major mistake, and now he is stepping down. This is not how a real american is. If he is really love this conutry, and he knew that he was wrong then, he MUST STAND UP. Don't quit. Don't let this administration and the President to bring our country to the wrong direction. We don't want to become the S or communis. American people will forgive him, He must change his policy and work with real american people.

April 9, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. philip r. orama

If the man feels its time to go.may he have god speed in what ever he wants to do he stood.brave and stood up against a very hateful grup of oppoition.

April 9, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. erik

Why are you insulting Sarah Palin? This is far, far away from topic. If you're using each chance to yell on Sarah, well – then I think you're one of these stupid Americans you talk about.
    But now to the topic – I think we're losing a great democrat. But if he has the feeling, that it'll be the best for him and for the country – who are we to stop him then.

April 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Faith

The Democrats need him. He is a much needed voice for Pro Life in their party. I hope he reconsiders.

April 9, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. LIves7

Ah...nice comments. When you do not have intelligent arguments, attack others personally. The Obamaway. Pathetic.

Rep Stupak is doing the right thing for his family and future. As a Catholic I disagree with this reason for supporting this piece of legislation. Abortion funding acutally is increasing the number of children killed.

However, as a member of our Faith community I wish him peace, happiness, and contentment. Godspeed Mr. Stupak you did the best you could given the circumstances.

Let us pray together to end the slaughter of abortion.

April 9, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Keith

Funny how the Tea Party is taking credit for a his personal decision to retire! ...Much the same way that terrorist organizations take credit for acts that they did not commit, in an effort to gain legitimacy.Obviously, this is an issue which he has given great consideration.

April 9, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. greg c

Good ridance – what a wimp and liar.

April 9, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Victor

Michael Moore and his followers have more to do with the congressman leaving than the Tea Party. They were brutal on Stupak the week before the health care reform vote.

April 9, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. bart simpson

He deserve to retire. We deserve to have him retire.

April 9, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |