April 12th, 2010

CNN poll shows Tiger's favorable rating drops

Fewer than four in 10 Americans have a favorable view of Tiger Woods, down a few percentage points from the previous month, according to a new national poll released Monday.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey indicates that 39 percent of the public views Woods in a positive light, down four points from March, when 43 percent had a favorable view of him.

"His ratings seemed to have slipped most among men and higher-income Americans," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "The reason for the differences is unclear. It's probably not his participation in the Masters this weekend, since in an earlier poll only one in five said that Woods should wait longer before returning to professional golf. And it wasn't his fourth-place showing in the Masters, since most interviews were conducted before the results were known."

Whatever the reason, Woods' public image has dropped a long way. Until recently, Woods was one of the most popular figures in America, with favorable ratings exceeding 80 percent.

Following his car accident in the early morning hours after Thanksgiving night, Woods still was viewed positively by six in 10 Americans. But after his subsequent admission of infidelity, his rating dropped to 34 percent. It has increased a little since then, but Woods seems unlikely to regain all of his popularity in the near future.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Friday through Sunday, with 1,008 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points. - CNN's Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story

Post by:
Filed under: Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. Tracy Shaffer

I don't have an opinion about Tiger Woods one way or another. Uncertain why he matters at all. He's a great golfer and should be golfing. His marital problems are none of my business, just as mine are none of his.

April 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Glenn Tinley

Anyone listening to Tiger's answers to interview questions during the Master's would have noticed that really, he has not changed-"I entered to win, I came here to win and other than that, leave me alone". Instead of actually answering questions like a real person with something along the lines of "I am just pleased to be out here and playing the game I love" or "It is nice to get back on the course, but I know I have work to do on the home-front"-maybe those of us who have written him off would have seen a change. Unfortunately not and way to go Phil for being the one to win this weekend. Of all guys out there, I am sure Phil took a little more pleasure in his win with Tiger making his comeback at the Masters. Phil is a true gentleman, real person and someone to look up to as a father. Tiger is just a good golfer-and only until the next one comes swinging.

April 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stephen Arterburn

I wonder if the poll numbers for that horrible reporter that interviewed him went down. Good grief that was sloppy and inappropriate journalism. Well it was not even journalism. No matter what you think, pull for this guy and his future.

April 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gabe

what is he running for president? for everyone out there who is judging him right now, look back at your own life and tell me that you haven't made a huge mistake that you regretted doing. Plus unless you've walked in his shoes, you haven't any right to judge

April 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tim P.

The reason why Tiger's favorable numbers keep dropping is because many people (not everyone) are hypocritical and judgmental and refuse to let anyone get a second chance. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until people understand. Tiger Woods made horrible, horrible decisions. GET OVER IT!!!!!!! He is just as human as anyone else, quit acting like you never screwed up royally in your lifetime! Maybe I wouldn't feel so bad for Tiger if so many people weren't trying to burn him at the stake.

April 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DARRYL YOKLEY

Tiger Woods is a golfer, not a world leader your polls are a bunch of nonsense!!!

April 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sharon Henderson

I love golf, both to play and watch. The Master's is one of my favorites to watch but I could hardly look at the TV because the sight of Tiger is truly disgusting, especially as so much attention was placed on him. Repulsive is the word that comes to mind everytime
    I see him.

April 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

I wish he'd just take his money and go home. Golf doesn't need somebody like Tiger Woods. It's time to quit and fade into obscurity.

April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill

Way to go Phil. Couldn't think of anyone I would rather have won and "beaten" Tiger.
    Tigers apearance at the Masters turned it into a circus. This was not the intent of this tournament. Me belief that this is just another admission of Tigers that he just wants
    the publicity no matter what the cost. ...and is there anyone else who is sick and tired of hearing about 4th place Tiger Woods?

April 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KATHSTER

He's a good golfer period. He is NOT a hero.

April 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. morris diehl

I used to like tiger and not phil but that all change basically on the fidelity question. Everytime woods missed a shot or putt I loved it. For the first time I was pulling for Phil to win. PS I can throw the first stone on the fidelity question

April 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pat Clark

I believe Tiger wants to change, the question is does he have the will. It takes time. Frankly it has to be hard, yet at the same time I agree Glenn's comments. I was taken back by his responses as well. The questions were appropriate, the answers were not of someone who has stated he is getting back to his religious roots in Buddhism. If he were he would have the competitive fire, yet a sense of humility for where he was a few months ago. His comments were arrogant and not one of a person seeking redemption. He would do himself a world of good to act humbly and to be thankful he has been given a second chance.

April 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BradMc

Good lord, who cares??!!

Will you stop with the Tiger Woods "news". This is why I have to look to other sources to get any actual news. Is it sports news? Yes. It might even be entertainment news. But it is not the kind of hard news that should appear in various "breaking news". You should all be ashamed. Seriously. This is not real journalism.

Brad

April 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jay

Phil Mickalson won the Masters by 3 shots. He came to Augusta with one vison in mind: to try and win the tournment for his mother and wife. Mission accomplished.

Tiger Woods came to Augsuta with one purpose. To get back into something he enjoys doing, and to move on. Mission accomplished, From now on, win or lose, the mainstream media will focus on Tiger looking for the next shoe to drop. I'd like to see an on air discuss of ordinary people demeaning the sport commnetators, just to see them squirm.

April 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred Riek

For the first time since he stopped playing, I tuned in to watch the final day of the Masters. I considered myself a huge Tiger fan and am still a fan of such a talented golfer. I never cared much for Phil Mickleson. However, that all changed with his interviews after he won and most especially his reaction when embracing his wife. The tear rolling down his cheek made an indelible impression when compared to the careless disregard Tiger had for his spouse for some time. Tiger's less than gracious remarks in his interview also caused me to re-evaluate whom I wanted to champion. I will still watch Tiger and wish him well, especially in his home life. But now I will be rooting for Phil moreso on both the course and in his personal life. Phil is certainly more the class act.

April 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |