April 12th, 2010

No charges in Roethlisberger case

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not face criminal charges, a Georgia district attorney said Monday.

Roethlisberger was accused last month of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a Milledgeville, Georgia, nightspot.

"The sexual allegation against Mr. Roethlisberger cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," said Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney Fred Bright. "Therefore, there will be no arrest made, nor criminal prosecution of Mr. Roethlisberger for his actions here on March 5, 2010."

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. Albert (Stafford, VA)

Of course he won't, he's rich isn't he! Same story with Arenas in DC, any typical person would be in jail today for bringing guns into DC.

April 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David B.

Well of course not. Money buys everything in the legal system for atheletes. Remeber O.J Simpson? In the pubics eye however Guilty is the verdict!

April 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Len Hilson

I think Big Ben should lay low next off season, try not to get himself into harmful situations.

April 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

They should have at least charged him with stupidity. If he keeps going the way he is one of these times it's not going to go away and he will get into serious trouble. Like it or not he is a target and should act a little smarter.

April 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. UVSHTSTRM

No surprise here....

I wonder if they will release the details behind the alleged allegations? Curious to see what here lawyer has to say.

April 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. silk

Another famous athlete gets away from any charges. It's getting worse and worse. Is there any justice left in this country?

April 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. trixie

Good for him. I guess the girl thought she had a chance at some money. Glad to see it didn't work out for her. He's smart to be careful and have people around him when he's out like that.

April 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. johnsonj3`

Now this is the second women to file charges, Roethlisberger I am a Steeler fan please don't get in troulbe anymore. You need toa change your friend and place to hang out. You have been Blessed with a gift to play ball.

April 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Amanda

I understand sexual assault is something women should speak up about, and please don't get me wrong when I say this- but I think sexual assault/rape allegations are getting out of hand. Where is the woman's name in this news report? Why is she not punished for dragging Ben Roethlisberger's name through the mud? It is a horrible thing for a woman to go through, yes, but I believe that regardless of the outcome in these cases, a person's integrity and livelihood will never be the same. It just seems sad to me.

April 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ladybug212

He said – she said cases are rarely 'beyond a reasonable doubt' but they are still prosecuted. If what they are saying is the case, there would never be an assault conviction between two people! Submit the evidence and let a jury decide!

April 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A

What shocker, these jerks never have to pay for what they do, does a third incident from this "man" have to happen before they open their eyes?

April 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tim

What I would like to know is why a 20 year old is drunk in a night club when the drinking age is 21.Sounds to me like they don,t do a good job checking Id,s

April 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kathy

Amazing what sports stars manage to get away iwth. Makes me sick.

April 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MOney TaLkS

Hmmm How much money did it take to buy that electronic tape that was over written? I think Big Ben should consider hiring the X-consultant for Tiger and stay out of bars.

April 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Franklin

So is this saying that the word of the girl isn't reliable or that with lack of evidence the girl is refusing to testify?

April 12, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |