April 12th, 2010

No charges in Roethlisberger case

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not face criminal charges, a Georgia district attorney said Monday.

Roethlisberger was accused last month of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a Milledgeville, Georgia, nightspot.

"The sexual allegation against Mr. Roethlisberger cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," said Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney Fred Bright. "Therefore, there will be no arrest made, nor criminal prosecution of Mr. Roethlisberger for his actions here on March 5, 2010."

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. Common Sense

The facts are in, of course (no pros) Any person with that kind of money,
    Will always be easy prey for women who want five minutes of fame,And a quick
    easy buck. It is sickening that with $25 a woman can mess up a good guys life,
    Caues him greif and unessary expense. If I were him I would sue her and her
    family for character and emotional distress. Maybe then these golddiggers would
    stop doing this to these guys.. I,m just saying-

April 12, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tex Geoas

Oh... so he already got a trial? Trial by prosecutor sans jury.

Anyone surprised?

April 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shirt

Typical celebrity justice. What else is new?

April 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Phillipmack

Typical.. especially if he did it that he would get off so easily. I feel really bad for women when these things happen to them and off the bat; no one wants to believe them because it's he said/she said. I just hope what comes around goes around. If he didn't do it.. then he'll have nothing but good karma coming his way.

April 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Network

She was obviously a gold digger looking for an easy cash in, the PA saw through her charade.

April 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stu

Just my opinion,..I think someone was paid off...

April 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

Maybe he should enter rehabilitation. That's what all the other celebrities do.

April 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sue

I would like to know if every person who says he is getting away with something was there at the club that night?

April 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RobertShaw

Okay. Here's a thought. And something I believe most gentlemen would do.

If I just had sex (sexual contact) with someone in a bathroom, and she fell and hit her head badly enough to need to go to the hospital... I would take her to the hospital myself. Or if I was too drunk to drive, I would call her a cab, or call 911 to get an ambulance there for her. Or at least give her friends a heads up so that they could help her.

I would not just leave and let her stagger outside by herself to seek assistance from the police. I would do that for a stranger who just fell on the sidewalk, let alone someone who I had just hooked up with.

That just doesn't add up.

Oh, and he also changed his story... twice. From nothing happened... to "he aggressively hit on her"... to "we had sexual contact and then she just, I dunno, fell down and hit her head."

C'mon.

April 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. noble

Of course there were no chrages. The girl was to drunk to even know what happend and there isn't enough evidence to explain what happend. The only reason anyone thinks he should be charged is in fact because he is a superstar. A poor man with a court oppointed lawyer would have been let off in this bullsh*t case. Only way these charges would stand against big ben is if he was against the illuminati.

April 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kgirl

If you heard the actual press conference, the DA said the " victim" sent him a letter asking for charges to not be filed and he met with her, her family and lwyer 10 days ago and they still did not want criminal charges filed.

April 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ugh

Just because they did not file charges does not mean that it did not happen. Publishing the victim's name would be imprudent at best.

Not being there I can not say guilty or not. But all athletes and public figures need to know there is a shadow on them and act accordingly... don't put yourself into a situation where there could be question.... that is where he is definitely guilty... without a doubt. Choose to do something else with your Saturday night where you might meet other people that also make better choices.

April 12, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WHAA?

She's probably just anothe golddigger out for his money anyway!

April 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike S

I know a lot of people will say that this is celebrity justice. However, there are also a lot people trying to pull scams on celebrities for money. You know who they are…

It would be better for to just get married and settle down. With his record there will be more floozies trying to get him trouble.

April 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rhonda

BEN!!!Stop being stupid!!!You need to grow up and grow up fast if you intend to be a leader. Your actions are a reflection of you and right now you're not lookin too good.

April 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |