April 12th, 2010

No charges in Roethlisberger case

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not face criminal charges, a Georgia district attorney said Monday.

Roethlisberger was accused last month of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a Milledgeville, Georgia, nightspot.

"The sexual allegation against Mr. Roethlisberger cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," said Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney Fred Bright. "Therefore, there will be no arrest made, nor criminal prosecution of Mr. Roethlisberger for his actions here on March 5, 2010."

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. pontly

What kinda ofan idiot is this guy? Regardless of what happened he needs to stay the hell out of the spot light. He's got it all...except brains apparently. And that goes for his people too (handlers).

April 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Victor

Its better to be rich and guilty than innocent and poor in this current justice system.

April 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mitch

Pretty funny how all of you naturally KNOW he was guilty.....were you there? I wasn't, but I know that prosecutors are trained to do what they do and if he thinks there's not a case, well, if there is anyone in here that was there or has seen the evidence, speak up!!!! I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I'm not saying he did either. Apparently there wasn't enough evidence to take i to trial. So, until you know more of the facts, don't judge!!!!!

April 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tdr

Once again it has been proven that there are two sets of laws in the US. Those laws for the rich and famous, and those law for them that are not.

April 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cathy

This is no different from some of the people accusing the Catholic Church of crimes...it's he said, she said and for many (and we'll never know how many) the accusations are false – brought about by greed. We are quick to point fingers at the Church and the guys for doing the crime when in many cases it's the accuser who is the guilty party. Look at all the high profile cases in the last 25 years that were brought about by false accusations....I don't recall the woman or the accuser in the church scandals being brought to justice.

April 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shawn

Didn't you people learn from the Duke lacrosse case? Many of those who are commenting on celebrity justice and deep pockets have nothing to go on. He was accused and there wasn't even enough evidence to bring him to trial, let alone convict him. Unbelievable how people are so ready to throw him under the bus w/ no proof.

April 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AW

If he were an African American player he would have been charged....no questions asked.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MN

love the comments about how "this jerk got away with it", and "celebrity justice". Obviously he is guilty just because of the accusation of an unreliable (think Duke lacrosse players case) source.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Diane

It's insteresting that the story doesn't mention whether a settlement happened so that no charges were filed. That is probably because those involved were careful not to mention that part. Rich people do seem to be able to pay to make things go away.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. magass

How many times can one person be accused of the same type of crime before someone steps up and says enough is enough. This is what the 3rd female to accuse Big Ben of Sexual Assault. Granted he has not been convicted yet but obviously something is wrong. May Ben needs to check himself into the Tiger Woods clinic before some DA says enough is enough and actually puts him behind bars. Just because you are a Superbowl Champion that does not give you the right to do as you please, especially with the ladies.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dave

I'm a Steeler fan and have been all my life. The fan in me is glad, but the human side has me scratching my head. How stupid can one person be. Let's put it this way...I will continue to root for the Steelers and continue to go to the games, but I wouldn't want my 17 year old daughter alone in the room with Ben, or any other sports figure who thinks they are entitiled to do to people whatever they feel like doing.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pete

So, what's next for Ben "Rapist"berger? Obviously not jail time.

April 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MsB

Money talks! I'm a Steelers fan but I hope that justice did prevail in this case. I would hate to see someone buy themselves out of trouble if they have a serious issue with respecting women. It will be interesting to see if more information is released about the "actual" allegations. Hopefully Big Ben will realize who he really is and act accordingly because trouble will come knocking again.

April 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rulesaremadeforyounotus

Why isn't anyone screaming about how he's let everyone down. No screams about this athlete making too much money. Isn't he a role model? What about all his endorements?

Talk about double standards. Where's the tea party?

April 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. another poster

Jezz, law enforcement and the concept of criminal justice never ceases to amaze me. If it were the average Joe, he would be doing 5-10. Reminds me of that incident in Texas where walking down a busy street where JFK was killed would get you a citation. Really confusing for the teens who may send a pic of their topless Girl freind and end up in adult court...go figure.

April 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |