April 13th, 2010

Argentina to give computers to all secondary students

Argentina will start handing out computers to students in all the nation's secondary schools later this month, the official news agency reported Tuesday.

By the time all the computers are distributed in October, 233,000 students and 20,000 teachers in 12 provinces will have access to a server at each school, the state-funded Telam news service said.

The goal is for every secondary school in the nation to have a computer for each student by 2012, said Education Minister Alberto Sileoni.

Post by:
Filed under: Argentina • World
  1. jerry gottlick

Kids in ARgentina only go to class for a few hours per day and school books are not provided in public school. The education provided by the state is inferior to most modern countries. In my personal experience, Argentina is one of the most corrupt societies at every level I have seen. I hope one of your reporters investigates this story and tells us whether it actually happens or not. I dont think it will and I dont think kids will make it home with their laptops. Not in Argentina.

April 14, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Fabián

You hate that Argentina is growing, you looks so stupid telling to the people that Argentina is corrupt, maybe you are the corrupt and you hate that in your country the economy is not ready to give computers to all secondary students. before to think about the hypothetical corrupts overseas, you should realize that your country has more corrupts than here for sure, maybe for that is the cause you can not pay all your bills and you deny of the idea that children in other country in the south of the world are very happy studying in a much more efficient and updated way that your own childs.

June 19, 2010 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. che

Argentina is not perfect, but I certainly don't believe it is anywhere near being one of the most corrupt countries ...just go to Africa or India or Pakistan to see sheer misery/treachery. I find that most young Argentines are jsut as well educated as Americans or Brits. And they do it for a lot less money!

April 14, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. mike

Escuse me, jerry gottlick, have you ever been to school in Argentina? I have, I attended a north american school, and my friends who where attending the Argentine secondary couterpart, were, in my opinion further along then we were. There testing is alot more indepth then what our kids go thru in this country.

April 14, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gustavo, an argentinian

I am from Argentina and believe me when I say this is just a smoke screen by the government. Let me tell you what will really happen. If the computer costs 1 dollar, the government will pay two dollars and will say that it costed three dollars. So, the company will get one dollar more than it should and the governemt will get another dollar for their own pockets. Of course, only 5% of the students will get the computers and they will be showed on national TV to prove how much the populist government cares about the people. Some propaganda is always good for fifth world banana republics like mine. The other 95% will never see the computer, however the government will report them as paid. Of course, due to the extremely high crime rate in Argentina where you can be killed for any or no reason, those unfortunate students that do get the computer will be robbed on the way home. So, the computer will enter the black market. In the end, no one will have a computer however the government and the selected company will make huge profits that will be paid with more national debt. Also, what is the purpose of giving a computer to people that cannot read or write? Mike says that the level of education is at the level of American schools. I have two kids in a public American school and 5 nephews in a private Argentinian school and believe me Mike that you are soooo wrong. Unless, of course, you are talking about the most exclusive private Argentinian school in Buenos Aires. Otherwise, you do not know what you are talking about. I recommend Mike to go to Chaco, Misiones, La Pampa or San Juan and see how the kids study. Most of the time there are no classes due to teachers strikes. Many schools do not have heating in winter. Many many students go to school without eating due to extreme poverty in many provinces. But, of course, there are always schools for rich kids. If you are one of those lucky ones you get a terrific education. Che also made a funny comment. Corruption is rampant in Argentina. I has always been, is and will always be. Argetinian politicians are corrupted from the beginning of their carrers in "la unidad básica" or "comité". Maybe corruption is higher in other countries but Argentina is a corrupt country all the way to the bone.

April 14, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Fabián

I think if you show your face, there will be many people looking for you, but i don´t think they will congratulate you... you are just a jer k ...
      porque no das la cara, asi te hacemos recontraremilcagar... porque no te pones hablar cagadas de otros paises, sos una mierda galopante para ser argentino... limpiate el orto para hablar asi.

June 19, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. AG

Jerry Gottick, I would love to know which school you visited in Argentina that makes you an "expert" on the subject. You have no facts about this. Let me tell you something, Argentina had, not too long ago, the best education in AMERICA. Even today, education there is much better than most countries in the world. Corruption has very little to do with education there! School books are not provided in public schools, SO? school there is FREE! I've seen things been taught in College here that we have learned there...in 2nd grade! talking about education been bad... right... By the way, tests over theare are REAL tests, not True or False! anyways, your comment lacks of any fact, fact is, school there is much better than in US, you like it or not, school here only gets really serious when you try to get a masters or a phd. I got my BA here with minimum effort but I paid the price when I went to get my masters, I really had to study then...

April 14, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Patrick

Having taught in two of the best private schools in Argentina I can say that the standards were far below those of good private schools in the UK. An American colleague told me the same. Little to no research or serious writing is done in the best private Argentine schools. Teaching is done mostly by lecture. There is little creativity. Cheating is widespread. As for the public schools, standards are appalling in terms of academics and facilities. Gustavo is 100% correct.

April 14, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fabián

if gustavo is right, you are a big jerk, just like him.
      you people don´t deserve to have Arg nationality.

June 19, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Justin Martindale

It is true that the government of Argentina is very corrupt and the schools leave much to be desired. That being said, Jerry is a curmudgeon who exaggerates endlessly about the pollution, the crime, the living conditions, the people. He criticizes everything about Argentina and yet he has lived here for eight years. He is not a bad person; he has done some good things for people and animals here. But he is also exaggerates and has been known to scream at the top of his lungs in Spanish that he hates Argentina in a public plaza near his home.

As for the computers, I have my doubts too. If they can't afford school books, how can they afford computers.

May 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |